Drivers from CD: Simple Method

a06lp

If i use this method for installing drivers, whenever i install some new hardware on my computer, i will need my unattended dvd?

you shouldn't...

I've installed printers and mice after installation, and never was asked for the u-DVD.

i havent tried a HDD, but i imagine it would be the same.

if someone knows otherwise, let me know.

@sonic:

you don't need WatchDriverSigningPolicy.exe for WHQL drivers.

@hp38quser:

i love sysinternals & nircmd :blushing:

seems PsSuspend fix the driver extraction before T-34 limitation, got my perfect method. :D

you should keep WatchDriverSigningPolicy.exe(for non WHQL) until driver scan finished, T-13 will be a good place to PsKill it. @T-39 REG ADD HKLM\....\RunOnceEx to PsKill or CMDLINES.TXT. and turn back Pyron's postinstall. or do that @WINNT.SIF [GuiRunOnce], if my broken memory still ok it's about T-9?

anyone knows if SetupCopyOEMInf.exe accepts more than one paths?

Detached.cmd for DriverOnCD or Driver7z2HD:

@ECHO OFF
.\PsSuspend.exe setup.exe
.\WatchDriverSigningPolicy.exe
IF EXIST Drivers.7z DO (
::REM extracting drivers archiver to hd, optional
.\7za.exe x -y -aoa -o"%SystemDrive%\Drivers" ".\Drivers.7z"
.\SetupCopyOEMInf.exe "%SystemDrive%\Drivers"
) ELSE (
.\SetupCopyOEMInf.exe Drivers
)
.\PsSuspend.exe -r setup.exe
::REM PsKill WatchDriverSigningPolicy
REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx" /V "zzzPsKillWatchDriverSigningPolicy" /D "%CD%\PsKill.exe -t WatchDriverSign"
::REM PostInstall
REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx" /V "zzzzPostInstall" /D "regedit /s %CD%\postInstall.reg"
EXIT

WatchDriverSigningPolicy.exe, SetupCopyOEMInf.exe, PsSuspend.exe, PsKill.exe, postInstall.reg(Pyron's DevicePath/DriverSigning regTweak), 7za.exe(optional), Drivers.7z(optional) in $OEM$ directory.

those psKill and postInstall stuff can put in #1 HKLM\...\RunOnceEx(maybe RunOnce, can't sure), #2 CMDLINES.TXT, #3 WINNT.SIF [GuiRunOnce].

edit:

process name for psKill to kill seems only 15 chars in length at w2k box, psKill "WatchDriverSign".

Edited by idle.newbie

free sysinternals' PsSuspend included inside PsTools? http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/PsSuspend.html

Arguments="/Q /C FOR /F %I IN (%SystemRoot%\SYSTEM32\$WINNT$.INF) DO (FOR %J IN (%I$OEM$) DO (IF EXIST %J (start /min /D%J Autoit3.exe Drivers.au3)))"

using DetachedProgram to scan dospath should consider a hack, tho it works currently, it may not perm.

i love Pryon's SetupCopyOEMInf.exe :D

maybe i should modify my Detached.cmd with PsTools into:

@ECHO OFF
.\PsSuspend.exe setup.exe
.\WatchDriverSigningPolicy.exe
::rem extracting drivers archiver to hd, optional
::rem .\7za.exe x -y -o"%SystemDrive%\Drivers" ".\Drivers.7z"
.\SetupCopyOEMInf.exe Drivers
.\PsSuspend.exe -r setup.exe

save another 118,272(AutoIt3.exe) - 31,232(upx -9 PsSuspend.exe) = 87,040 bytes :D

WatchDriverSigningPolicy.exe should PsKill after T-13?

if SetupCopyOEMInf.exe accepts more paths, then i'll change to SetupCopyOEMInf.exe Drivers "%SystemDrive%\Drivers", fits on both [drivers on cd] and [drivers extract to hd].

Just rebuilt my image & ran with around a dozen pnp drivers all recognized & all worked superbly, used the psSuspend & found it to be very smooth.

Cheers Guys

Regards

MC

Hi There,

This is a great find for me. I am trying to get a AMD A64 up and running and keep getting set-up aborts for driver errors. I know I need the Via Chipset drivers as well as CDROM and EDI HD drivers. None of these are on floppy because the files are too large. I was going to post a question to see if anyone has or would write a program to do just this.

Will it work to preload WXP X64 drivers prior to set-up ?

Also since I loaded SP3 I can't get pop -ups. I can't download your fine program from here.. It there another place I can download it from ?

There are so many hobbiests suffering from not having drivers in their Systems at set-up. NewEgg posts are full of them. I think I will write to NewEgg and tell them about this post. It will help many who have spent a lot of $$ to get into the 64 bit arena.

Ron

Thanks a lot for this method, I have just started to build my own unattended install dvd and the automatic driver installation was drving me crazy. This method looks nice and easy = me likes. Just one question:

In the Unatteded Guide, the drivers are placed in the $OEM$/$1/Drivers folder. I followed the instructions and made some subfolders, one for each set of drivers, ie 000_chipset, 001_graphics, etc.

The question is: Can I have subfolders inside the specific driver folders, ie /Drivers/001_graphics/SomeFolder1 and /Drivers/001_graphics/SomeFolder2 and will the AutoIT method scan the subfolders for drivers, or must i use inf files put directly in the /Drivers/001_graphics folder ?

cheers in advance

we all put in $oem$\Drivers i think and no more $1 ..

u put in $1 will copy it to $systemdrive$\drivers...

u can use sub folders and it will scan it too....

i just dun like the popup cmd screen at the installation but it works like charm..

Thanks guys!

@g8way2:

No $1 folder. Follow the instructions in the first post of this thread. the unattended guide is for a different method. this is the autoit method.

@hp38guser:

I tried your autoit code in this post but setupcopyoem was paused for some reason...

i have modified the code and am retrying now. i'll post results in an hour or so, and then if it works, ill update the first post.

yup ... when comes to installation..

it will copy a while... stop a while... copy a while.... and stop....a while...

but when finish... everything is install well...

I'm not ready to take that sitting down.

This start/stop problem didn't exist before pssuspend.

I'm trying my modified code to see if that helps-

btw cyberloner, - which code did you use?

Didn't notice that with my install at all? Strange?

all files isin $OEM$

Run(@ScriptDir&"\SUSPEND.EXE setup")

Run(@ScriptDir&"\DIGISIGN.EXE")

RunWait(@ScriptDir&"\COPYINF.EXE "&@ScriptDir&"\Drivers")

ProcessClose("DIGISIGN.EXE")

Run(@ScriptDir&"\SUSPEND.EXE -r setup")

(IN WINNT.SIF)

[GuiUnattended]

DetachedProgram = ".\system32\cmd.exe"

Arguments="/Q /C FOR /F %I IN (%SystemRoot%\SYSTEM32\$WINNT$.INF) DO (FOR %J IN (%I$OEM$) DO (IF EXIST %J (start /min /D%J Autoit3.exe Drivers.au3)))"

maybe i'll try format again

Edited by cyberloner

ok...

even with the modified au3 file i had the stalling.

i think i am going to change the method to a batch script.

again, i'll test it (good thing im off today) and i'll post results. gimme another 2 hours.

ok, im getting really p***ed off.

this is the sixth reinstall i've done today.

Doesn't make a difference if it's autoit or batch, my setup keeps freezing/stalling/pausing.

And it's always at the exact same spot (Dell Dimension\D850 V.9X-56K Data-Fax Modem\del200fk.inf).

The same drivers work fine with the old method (the one in the first post)...

It's got to be something with the pssuspend, because when i run the batch in windows it works perfectly (except pssuspend says it cannot find setup.exe).

I dont know why the batch and autoit files freeze me up though.

I'm running out of ideas...

I'm going to try to remove that driver from the cd and see what happens.

But if anyone else has any ideas as to why this is happenening, i'd love to hear them.

Edited by a06lp