Quicklaunch Tutorial:

I use this on XP and Not in a VM.

And now even in Vista. Vista will show them as soon as the desktop loads

#1 - Do Not, Do Not use anyone elses reg stuff like i've seen a hundred times, thats for their PC and not your's. Good Grief don't they understand this :wacko:

#2 - Make Quicklaunch visible and set everything the way you want, add all your shortcuts the way you like them. I have a second drive where a lot of things reside so I have my Shortcuts pointing there. But it don't matter if you don't have the 2nd drive.

#3 - Open a Command Prompt window and paste the following

REG EXPORT HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Streams\Desktop "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\quicklaunch.reg"

You should get: The operation completed successfully.

NOTICE: It says HKCU so this will only set it up for the user you created in User.cmd

#4 - Move the reg file off your desktop to XPCD\$OEM$\

#5 - Open your XPCD\$OEM$\cmdlines.txt and paste the following

"REGEDIT /S quicklaunch.reg"

you need the " around them here

#6 - Now go to Documents and Settings\Your User Name\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer and copy the Quick Launch folder to XPCD\$OEM$\$1\Install\. Open the XPCD\$OEM$\$1\Install\Quick Launch folder and delete the Desktop.ini, I also delete any other shortcuts usually created by Setup Like Show Desktop. Also any other's that programs will be installing.

#7 - Now add this to your XPCD\$OEM$\$1\Install\Cleanup.cmd

Now if you used nLite or something that removed those Default items then perhaps you may need this

MD "%userprofile%\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch"

and now this

copy %systemdrive%\Install\Quicklaunch\*.* "%userprofile%\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch" /Y

I have been using this method for nearly 2 years and it is flawless. You will not see them till it reboots after Cleanup.cmd. Of course all this is done by my UnattendXP app and I don't have to do anything but select Quicklaunch and the rest is done for me.

EDIT:Removed 2nd Reg Export as DL. verified it was not needed.

Edited by maxXPsoft

mrBob go for it cause it do work

That reg key people post don't work, Why? cause you need the files located in the Quicklaunch folder if they not the standard default stuff.

This is mine.

QL.PNG

Edited by maxXPsoft

I ran into an interesting problem trying to apply this tweak: When my install finished there was no "Quick Launch" folder created. So in your cleanup.cmd you might want to add a line to make sure the folder is created and then add the copy command just to make sure it's copied properly.

MD "%appdata%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch"
copy %systemdrive%\Install\QuickLaunch\*.* "%appdata%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch" /Y

Edited by Solar257

Hmm never has failed for me but don't you think it could have been because you have %appdata% instead of %userprofile%? If you're trying to go to %ALLUSERSPROFILE% it will fail also because of the HKCU

This is for %userprofile% as the things above export from a User = HKCU\Software

Now if you used nLite or something that removed those Default items then perhaps you may need this

MD "%userprofile%\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch"

EDit Ok my bad, I never use appdata but it is possible to use that, but I don;t and mine works.

Edited by maxXPsoft

Copy shorcuts folder to doc&set\default user, it will automagically self copy to the newly created user, installing HKCU regs at T-12 will also defaults for all users.

Edited by Nilfred

@maxXPsoft

Why do you need to export HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced?

Exactly which value in that key affects quicklaunch?

@maxXPsoft

Why do you need to export HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced?

Exactly which value in that key affects quicklaunch?

Not sure but during my initial tests a long time ago some of those values were changed, been quite awhile so I don't remember which. Perhaps

"TaskbarSizeMove"=dword:00000001

"TaskbarGlomming"=dword:00000000

You could turn off taskbar and take a snapshot and then re-enable and see if you want. I use InstallWatchPro personally.

It is much easier to export that entire key rather than get individual vales don't you agree? Also that contains some of your settings already set the way you like so serves a double purpose.

I cannot argue with what works. You see the pic, I allways need those setup cause as a developer I use all of them.

My other end of the taskbar looks like this as I've added the extra Toolbars I want

otherend.PNG

Yes I know it don't leave much in between but with taskbar grouping and Tabbed browsing it suits me well with Firefox.

Edited by maxXPsoft

Copy shorcuts folder to doc&set\default user, it will automagically self copy to the newly created user, installing HKCU regs at T-12 will also defaults for all users.

Kewl Nilfred

Be good for setting up multiple users with same taskbar

There is a gray area there though and need to be careful. Default user is ok but don't and I say don't attempt to copy the the Docs and Sets to a User you going to Create, I have discovered that it sometimes gives you double users with a strange name like maxXPsoft.Tdf12345GH and maxXPsoft as an example. I've redone my App to account for these things and I no longer get them doubles.

TaskBarXP directly effects the active toolbars and their placements on the Taskbar.

TaskbarGlooming i believe is combining multiple app windows into one(multiple IE boxes for example)

TaskbarSizeMove i believe is to unlock the taskbar so you can move it.

@maxXPsoft

As you say the key HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced exports other settings and is not really needed for quicklaunch (but you might want to export it anyway to get all the other settings).

TaskBarXP directly effects the active toolbars and their placements on the Taskbar.

TaskbarGlooming i believe is combining multiple app windows into one(multiple IE boxes for example)

TaskbarSizeMove i believe is to unlock the taskbar so you can move it.

TaskBarXP should be TaskbarWinXP (probably just a typo).

You are correct about TaskbarGlomming and TaskbarSizeMove, a better name for TaskbarGlomming would be TaskbarGrouping.

You are correct about TaskbarGlomming and TaskbarSizeMove, a better name for TaskbarGlomming would be TaskbarGrouping.
Lol don't you wish MS would make it easier and use TaskbarGrouping

I didn't say it was not needed, try it and if it don't work then you know but share the Knowledge

When I applied this like all things I apply to a freshly formatted PC(second Hard Drive or partition) with no tweaks applied. As I said I cannot remember now what came up in HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced but it did appear in the scan so I just added.

I know these things work for a real setup and I won't guarantee anything in a VM.

I don't test against a VM as I've stated before, once you get it to work there, there are some things won't work in a real setup, that I've seen.

TaskBarXP should be TaskbarWinXP (probably just a typo).

Not really, do a search through your reg and all you find that TaskbarWinXP in only

[HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Streams\Desktop]

and

about 4 returns with [HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-xxxxxxx

No where in the standard registry.

Edited by maxXPsoft

There are many more examples of settings that MS named in their own way, and not what you would expect.

I didn't find any TaskBarXP and have never seen it, so I thought he meant TaskBarWinXP.

I'm not really sure what that value is for, I read somewhere that it was needed before (or with?) SP1 or something like that.

I've done some testing earlier and Quicklaunch works for me by exporting only HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Streams\Desktop without exporting HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced.