Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Quicklaunch Tutorial:

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

maxXPsoft

maxXPsoft

MSFN Master

• Developer
  • 2,880 posts
I use this on XP and Not in a VM.
And now even in Vista. Vista will show them as soon as the desktop loads

#1 - Do Not, Do Not use anyone elses reg stuff like i've seen a hundred times, thats for their PC and not your's. Good Grief don't they understand this :wacko:

#2 - Make Quicklaunch visible and set everything the way you want, add all your shortcuts the way you like them. I have a second drive where a lot of things reside so I have my Shortcuts pointing there. But it don't matter if you don't have the 2nd drive.

#3 - Open a Command Prompt window and paste the following
REG EXPORT HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Streams\Desktop "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\quicklaunch.reg"
You should get: The operation completed successfully.
NOTICE: It says HKCU so this will only set it up for the user you created in User.cmd

#4 - Move the reg file off your desktop to XPCD\$OEM$\

#5 - Open your XPCD\$OEM$\cmdlines.txt and paste the following
"REGEDIT /S quicklaunch.reg"
you need the " around them here

#6 - Now go to Documents and Settings\Your User Name\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer and copy the Quick Launch folder to XPCD\$OEM$\$1\Install\. Open the XPCD\$OEM$\$1\Install\Quick Launch folder and delete the Desktop.ini, I also delete any other shortcuts usually created by Setup Like Show Desktop. Also any other's that programs will be installing.

#7 - Now add this to your XPCD\$OEM$\$1\Install\Cleanup.cmd
Now if you used nLite or something that removed those Default items then perhaps you may need this
MD "%userprofile%\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch"
and now this
copy %systemdrive%\Install\Quicklaunch\*.* "%userprofile%\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch" /Y

I have been using this method for nearly 2 years and it is flawless. You will not see them till it reboots after Cleanup.cmd. Of course all this is done by my UnattendXP app and I don't have to do anything but select Quicklaunch and the rest is done for me.

EDIT:Removed 2nd Reg Export as DL. verified it was not needed.

Edited by maxXPsoft, 26 April 2007 - 09:54 AM.

Download ++> Windows 7 + 8 Unattended DVD + App Installer + Services Disabler + Load All Button + XML Creator
Jump2Reg - Registry: - Oct 4, 2013 - Version 3.0.4 - 98, ME, NT, 2K, XP, VISTA, Seven, Windows 8+ and 32 or 64 bit

XP Unattended CD/DVD creator - Version 4.1.7
Sample xml + Setupcomplete + Add Right click .wim Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

mrBob

mrBob
  • 5 posts
wow looks very nice
i'll give it a shot!

maxXPsoft

maxXPsoft

MSFN Master

• Developer
  • 2,880 posts
mrBob go for it cause it do work
That reg key people post don't work, Why? cause you need the files located in the Quicklaunch folder if they not the standard default stuff.
This is mine.
Posted Image

Edited by maxXPsoft, 28 July 2005 - 07:46 AM.

Download ++> Windows 7 + 8 Unattended DVD + App Installer + Services Disabler + Load All Button + XML Creator
Jump2Reg - Registry: - Oct 4, 2013 - Version 3.0.4 - 98, ME, NT, 2K, XP, VISTA, Seven, Windows 8+ and 32 or 64 bit

Solar257

Solar257
  • 5 posts
I ran into an interesting problem trying to apply this tweak: When my install finished there was no "Quick Launch" folder created. So in your cleanup.cmd you might want to add a line to make sure the folder is created and then add the copy command just to make sure it's copied properly.
MD "%appdata%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch"

copy %systemdrive%\Install\QuickLaunch\*.* "%appdata%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch" /Y

Edited by Solar257, 28 July 2005 - 08:41 PM.

maxXPsoft

maxXPsoft

MSFN Master

• Developer
  • 2,880 posts
Hmm never has failed for me but don't you think it could have been because you have %appdata% instead of %userprofile%? If you're trying to go to %ALLUSERSPROFILE% it will fail also because of the HKCU
This is for %userprofile% as the things above export from a User = HKCU\Software

Now if you used nLite or something that removed those Default items then perhaps you may need this
MD "%userprofile%\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch"

EDit Ok my bad, I never use appdata but it is possible to use that, but I don;t and mine works.

Edited by maxXPsoft, 30 July 2005 - 06:28 AM.

Nilfred

Nilfred

• PipPip
  • 210 posts
Copy shorcuts folder to doc&set\default user, it will automagically self copy to the newly created user, installing HKCU regs at T-12 will also defaults for all users.

Edited by Nilfred, 30 July 2005 - 07:22 AM.

Nilfred :-)

DL.

DL.

Tweaker or whatever I happen to be focused on at the moment..

• PipPipPip
  • 489 posts
@maxXPsoft
Why do you need to export HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced?
Exactly which value in that key affects quicklaunch?

Wesmosis

Wesmosis

Just Call Me Doctor Just Call Me Pain!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts
seems cool!
thanx
@I dont know how the third World War will be fought, but I`m sure the fourth will be fought with sticks and stones
@Like What You Do, If You Can't Do What You Like
@Reality.Sys Corrupted. Universe Halted. Reboot Y/N

maxXPsoft

maxXPsoft

MSFN Master

• Developer
  • 2,880 posts

@maxXPsoft
Why do you need to export HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced?
Exactly which value in that key affects quicklaunch?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not sure but during my initial tests a long time ago some of those values were changed, been quite awhile so I don't remember which. Perhaps
"TaskbarSizeMove"=dword:00000001
"TaskbarGlomming"=dword:00000000
You could turn off taskbar and take a snapshot and then re-enable and see if you want. I use InstallWatchPro personally.

It is much easier to export that entire key rather than get individual vales don't you agree? Also that contains some of your settings already set the way you like so serves a double purpose.
I cannot argue with what works. You see the pic, I allways need those setup cause as a developer I use all of them.

My other end of the taskbar looks like this as I've added the extra Toolbars I want
Posted Image
Yes I know it don't leave much in between but with taskbar grouping and Tabbed browsing it suits me well with Firefox.

Edited by maxXPsoft, 30 July 2005 - 10:31 PM.

maxXPsoft

maxXPsoft

MSFN Master

• Developer
  • 2,880 posts

Copy shorcuts folder to doc&set\default user, it will automagically self copy to the newly created user, installing HKCU regs at T-12 will also defaults for all users.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Kewl Nilfred
Be good for setting up multiple users with same taskbar

There is a gray area there though and need to be careful. Default user is ok but don't and I say don't attempt to copy the the Docs and Sets to a User you going to Create, I have discovered that it sometimes gives you double users with a strange name like maxXPsoft.Tdf12345GH and maxXPsoft as an example. I've redone my App to account for these things and I no longer get them doubles.

Alanoll

Alanoll

CODE tags people, CODE tags!

• Patrons
  • 5,496 posts
TaskBarXP directly effects the active toolbars and their placements on the Taskbar.

TaskbarGlooming i believe is combining multiple app windows into one(multiple IE boxes for example)
TaskbarSizeMove i believe is to unlock the taskbar so you can move it.
Welcome to the Forum! Please READ Me!!
Alright, that's it for the site for now. Now on to the next project....which could concievable replace the current site :)

mdes

mdes

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
Have a look here :P This command file create, rename, modify or delete any shortcuts (or files, or folders) :thumbup

Edited by mdes, 31 July 2005 - 01:01 AM.

Windows XP Pro French + SP2 Many Thanks to GreenMachine XPCREATE
Michel Dessaintes (nick: mdes) FlashList for genealogy, CongésRFV for Pocket PC

DL.

DL.

• PipPipPip
  • 489 posts
@maxXPsoft
As you say the key HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced exports other settings and is not really needed for quicklaunch (but you might want to export it anyway to get all the other settings).

TaskBarXP directly effects the active toolbars and their placements on the Taskbar.

TaskbarGlooming i believe is combining multiple app windows into one(multiple IE boxes for example)
TaskbarSizeMove i believe is to unlock the taskbar so you can move it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

TaskBarXP should be TaskbarWinXP (probably just a typo).

You are correct about TaskbarGlomming and TaskbarSizeMove, a better name for TaskbarGlomming would be TaskbarGrouping.

maxXPsoft

maxXPsoft

MSFN Master

• Developer
  • 2,880 posts

You are correct about TaskbarGlomming and TaskbarSizeMove, a better name for TaskbarGlomming would be TaskbarGrouping.

Lol don't you wish MS would make it easier and use TaskbarGrouping

I didn't say it was not needed, try it and if it don't work then you know but share the Knowledge

When I applied this like all things I apply to a freshly formatted PC(second Hard Drive or partition) with no tweaks applied. As I said I cannot remember now what came up in HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced but it did appear in the scan so I just added.

I know these things work for a real setup and I won't guarantee anything in a VM.
I don't test against a VM as I've stated before, once you get it to work there, there are some things won't work in a real setup, that I've seen.

TaskBarXP should be TaskbarWinXP (probably just a typo).

Not really, do a search through your reg and all you find that TaskbarWinXP in only
[HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Streams\Desktop]
and
about 4 returns with [HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-xxxxxxx
No where in the standard registry.

Edited by maxXPsoft, 31 July 2005 - 01:27 PM.

DL.

DL.

• PipPipPip
  • 489 posts
There are many more examples of settings that MS named in their own way, and not what you would expect.

I didn't find any TaskBarXP and have never seen it, so I thought he meant TaskBarWinXP.
I'm not really sure what that value is for, I read somewhere that it was needed before (or with?) SP1 or something like that.

I've done some testing earlier and Quicklaunch works for me by exporting only HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Streams\Desktop without exporting HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced.

maxXPsoft

maxXPsoft

MSFN Master

• Developer
  • 2,880 posts
Well
click my link down below: LEAN MEAN REGISTRY Machine: Jump2Reg?
It includes a Reg Search by Bill James, really nice

So you are exporting the HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced.
key. K was wondering if its needed or not but for me it works so I don't argue with what I want to achieve.

Edited by maxXPsoft, 31 July 2005 - 02:24 PM.

DL.

DL.

• PipPipPip
  • 489 posts
I have tried Jump2Reg.

I wrote that I don't need to export ...\Explorer\Advanced in order to get Quicklaunch working.

When I did my tests I only exported the first key, and it worked fine.

When applying all my other reg-tweaks I use both, since I have customized the other one to my preference.

maxXPsoft

maxXPsoft

MSFN Master

• Developer
  • 2,880 posts
Edited 1st Post above >> Removed 2nd Reg Export as DL. verified it was not needed.
Desktop without exporting < I missed that when reading

DL.

DL.

• PipPipPip
  • 489 posts
Here is another thread on the same subject: http://www.msfn.org/...ST&f=70&t=51541

It seems like there is no definite solution to the problem with Quicklaunch that works for all.

Maybe you could change the first post and include all known methods?

maxXPsoft

maxXPsoft

MSFN Master

• Developer
  • 2,880 posts
Another thread, haha I have seen a lot on this last couple years

Maybe he needs to try this now cause he hasn't even replied if what they gave him worked, he don't include a link to this post since it was done prior to me ever making this one. 3 days before.

There is a definite problem with the reg key is reason I started this post after seeing so many post that long reg key stuff and why I went looking a long time back for something that really worked. What exactly is the reg going to point to if those shortcuts don't exist? I never stopped long enough to export and look through those Binary keys. By copying the QL folder is main reason this works. You then have the reg pointing and the shortcuts in place.

One person states that's the first thing he does after setup is manually open and set it then export. I can make changes today and they are setup once I'm done installing.

I don't know, let them try that and if it fails then try this.

Edited by maxXPsoft, 02 August 2005 - 07:11 AM.

Noise

Noise

Windows Guru

• PipPipPip
  • 425 posts
When will you people learn, it is extremely bad form to use shortcuts created on one machine on another machine. Shortcuts remember the machine they were created on and, by default, they will try to connect to that machine first when you double-click them. This will introduce un-needed delays and network activity.

You can make the shortcuts "stupid" before you copy them using the shortcut.exe ms utility. Or you can turn off "link tracking" in windows. Better yet, don't do it - it's amateurish! Always install re-create the shortcuts using a script or utility.

maxXPsoft

maxXPsoft

MSFN Master

• Developer
  • 2,880 posts
Do what? I think you got this out of context with maybe reality?
This copys those for YOUR Machine and Quicklaunch, not others lol

Noise

Noise

Windows Guru

• PipPipPip
  • 425 posts

#6 - Now go to Documents and Settings\Your User Name\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer and copy the Quick Launch folder to XPCD\$OEM$\$1\Install\. ...

THIS = BAD! BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD !!!

You are copying shortcut files (.lnk) from one machine (your development machine) to another machine (the PC you're building).

maxXPsoft

maxXPsoft

MSFN Master

• Developer
  • 2,880 posts
Nois3
What happens when XP encounters a shortcut thats invalid? Gives you that stuff about removing it or either goes off looking for Target and attempts to correct it.
That don't happen with this, never has in as I said about 2 years If the Target is still there then it simply opens it and adjusts anything needing adjusted.
I have several pointing to different drive's and they work like a charm.

Its the same as modding dlls and pratically all the files on a setup which has been occuring here long before you or I came here and it will continue to happen in a quest for that knowledge.
Thats what Msfn is all about.

Edited by maxXPsoft, 02 August 2005 - 04:08 PM.

Noise

Noise

Windows Guru

• PipPipPip
  • 425 posts
maxXPsoft,

You're not understanding the issue here. And that's understandable, because very few people really know whats going on with shortcut (.lnk) files.

Try this:
1. Manually create a link to notepad on your desktop.
2. Copy that .lnk file to another computer.
3. Double-click the copied link.
4. Note the delay before notepad actually starts.
5. Now go into Start/Programs and double-click the regular notepad link.

Notice the difference? If you don't, you probably have link-tracking disabled in the registry (good thing to do btw). I'm talking about regular everyday shortcuts here. Shortcut files remember the name of the PC they were created on. The issue I'm talking about here has nothing to do with NTFS.

When you run them on another computer, Windows will "sometimes" try to access the originating PC over the network. To really see this you need 2 PC's with different names on separate networks. The delay can sometimes be quite pronounced, In NT4 I've seen it take minutes to timeout and then finally try and access the program on the local PC.

In my first sysadmin job (a long long time ago) this was a huge problem. I built all the PC's with .lnk files I developed on a test machine. We constantly had performance problems when people tried to start their applications. We also noticed a lot of undue network activity during these delays. It was a well learned lesson when we finally figured out what was going on. When we scripted the creation of these shortcuts (using shortcut.exe instead of copying them, the problem disappeared.

The registry fix is explained here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN