Quicklaunch Tutorial:

but two question...

Is there a regmod for unhide the quicklaunch only?

I believe there is but I haven't looked for it. Perhaps in the registry tweaks post in pinned topics.
And what is the script for rebuilding links on the new machine?

(or links :))

.lnk

No scripts, you're copying them to the correct location.

As I explained above, nothing in a shortcut is proprietary to any machine. Link to code above proves that as I have been using similar code to do same thing for year's.

As long as the PATH Is same then they will work.

@maxxpsoft

You should have read the link you posted (which was very interesting, btw).

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default....ts/shortcut.asp

When a Shell link is created, the system saves information about the link. When resolving a link—either automatically or with an Resolve call—the system first retrieves the path associated with the Shell link by using a pointer to the Shell link's identifier list. For more information about the identifier list, see Item Identifiers and Identifier Lists. The system searches for the associated object in that path and, if it finds the object, resolves the link. If the system cannot find the object, it calls on the Distributed Link Tracking and Object Identifiers (DLT) service, if available, to locate the object. If the DLT service is not available or cannot find the object, the system looks in the same directory for an object with the same file creation time and attributes but with a different name. This type of search resolves a link to an object that has been renamed.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/fi...identifiers.asp

states the following:

To search for name spaces

1. Search four directory levels down from the last directory.

2. Move up one directory and repeat steps 1 and 2 another three times, which can yield results if the object has moved nearby.

3. Search four levels down from the desktop root, which can yield results if the object has moved to a location on the same desktop.

4. Search four levels down from the root on each local fixed drive.

5. Repeat steps 1-3 without the four directory limit.

Note: These link tracking schemes are transparent to the end user. However, they do not always yield positive results, and can be time consuming.

and:

If a link is made to a file on an NTFS file system on Windows 2000 or later, and the file is moved to any other NTFS file system on Windows 2000 or later within the same domain, the file can be found by the tracking service, subject to time considerations. Additionally, if the file is moved outside the domain or within a workgroup, it is found.

lizard1

I've read it but thats in C which i partially understand. I have the code in VB which I use and I know exactly what each thing does.

My Point being that theres nothing machine specific about this, maybe in the old pifmgr day's but just not anymore.

I stated in very first line of the very first post that this is for XP and not VM either, I run this same thing on my old 450 with XP as I do on my 1800 and have no delays, If it don't exist it pops the error dialog in a fraction of a second. I can't even blink that fast :blink:

`Felix`

interesting but I've used that for quite some time, its what I do to load the different hives for each user in my XPPolicy app to modify and set policies for each. A backdoor method I guess.

If you don't want to use this then don't, GO elsewhere

Its 1 method of doing it

Edited by maxXPsoft

@maxxpsoft

It seems you still haven't read the MSDN articles or my quotes from them.

I've read it but thats in C which i partially understand. I have the code in VB which I use and I know exactly what each thing does.

My Point being that theres nothing machine specific about this, maybe in the old pifmgr day's but just not anymore.

That's bul*****.

How do you think all these link tracking features that Microsoft describes in their article

would be possible without machine specific data in the .lnk file?

Do the following:

1. create a shortcut.

2. Open a cmd and type "move <your shortcut>.lnk <your shortcut>.txt"

3. Open it with notepad.

You will see your computername and your partitions volume label in

cleartext.

"It worked for two years for me and many others" is not an argument. Absolutely not.

Ok nice trick, I see your point, never done that before since I couldn't see what it was doing behind the scenes. I have stepped through the code in debug and never seen it getting the machine name.

BUT So What, It still works 100%

If I point to F:\ regardless on my machine it simply works and most the *BS* stuff replies here started was about there would be Time delays. But the same Microsoft built the resolve method in which Automatically fixes and in very fast time. Anyone need a sign yet?

WARNING: If you're using a crappy computer then don't use my method, if not then try it, it works.

• 2 months later...
i have an sfx wich unpacks my shortcuts into quicklaunch , it starts from svcpack.inf

no need for all those reg files here.

muiz

Basicslly BS

These don't work without the REG. Just done a fresh Install without VM and they aren't there.

To get them after the last reboot in Cleanup.cmd follow my instructions here INCLUDING the Reg entries.

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=51753

Basically you need the Reg entries to ENABLE Quicklaunch so it appears after reboot. They were present but QL was not Enabled.

Thats what you get for testing with VM

Sometimes its right and there are times its wrong for a normal setup which is the ultimate goal

Edited by maxXPsoft

• 2 weeks later...