CPU

Nerwin

I just got a Question

Will This work in my LGA775 Socket?:

INTEL BOXED (PRESCOTT) PENTIUM P4 3.2E SOCKET T LGA775 SOCKET, 1MB ON-DIE CACHE, 800FSB PROCCESSOR 540 RETAIL BOX - BX80547PG3200E

Now Is this the same thing:

http://www.pcconnection.com/ProductDetail?Sku=5205523

What Dose The Socket T mean?

What is On-Die Cache?

I thing it is the same thing becasue the model number matches

Edited by computerMan

CPUs are CPUs... there's no difference from one to the next.

If the socket fits, chances are it'll work with your motherboard.

Not really. If you look at socket 478, alot of older boards do not support prescott processors (ones with 845 chipset). There are also some that do/dont support HT, etc. Depending on the chipset again, some LGA775 boards do not support dual core, while others do. Seeing as this is one of the standard older Prescott proccessors, it should work on any LGA775 board with any chipset.

Not really.  If you look at socket 478, alot of older boards do not support prescott processors (ones with 845 chipset).  There are also some that do/dont support HT, etc.  Depending on the chipset again, some LGA775 boards do not support dual core, while others do.  Seeing as this is one of the standard older Prescott proccessors, it should work on any LGA775 board with any chipset.

Interesting... I've never dealt with the parts of an Intel system. Thanks for the info.

is on-die cache better than 1mb L2 cache?

They're probably one and the same thing. L2 cache was moved to "on-die" to make it faster to access a number of years ago.

@Zxian: There's much more then Sockets to take into consideration when matching a CPU to a board. There's the FSB, the core generation and the processor features to take into account. A simple example are the new dual-cored Pentium 4s (Pentium D). Those are LGA 775 processors but will only work with Intel's new chipsets, namely the 945P, 945G, and 955X chipsets.

@computerMan: Cache is fast memory that stores often used information so that the processor doesn't have to spend time waiting for the rest of the computer to get the information for it. There are three levels of cache. L1, L2 and L3. L1 is the fastest and the smallest (usually 8KB). L2 is much larger, between 256KB to 2MB. L1 and L2 cache in modern processors is always on-die. On-die means it's part of the actual processor. L3 cache, if any, is usually on the motherboard and somewhere between the processor and the main system memory.