Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

I cannot delete WPA registry subkeys!

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

heustess

heustess
  • 7 posts
I have 5 subkeys that I cannot delete in the registry. They are all subkeys of
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA]
such as
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\Key-3HFYCVKFXVR6VJM823DM9]
that I somehow got by testing different product keys out of curiosity. I have administrator rights and cannot delete the keys. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Doc Symbiosis

Doc Symbiosis

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
What is the error message you get?
I would try to start from a different system like pebuilder and delete it from there.

rumbia

rumbia
  • 1 posts

I have 5 subkeys that I cannot delete in the registry. They are all subkeys of
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA]
such as
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\Key-3HFYCVKFXVR6VJM823DM9]
that I somehow got by testing different product keys out of curiosity. I have administrator rights and cannot delete the keys. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Here is how to delete the problem you encountered.

In your registry editor, export HKLM\SYSTEM to [windows]\system32\config\system.new as an registry structure file (not as a *.reg file! save as type Registry Hive Files *.*!)

Next, set you cursor in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and load the hive file into lets say 'tmp' now you can delete HKLM\tmp\WPA or you may delete each HKLM\tmp\WPA\KEY-XXXXXXXXX. (Edited: If you using MCE don't delete HKLM\tmp\WPA, it makes your MCE components unusable.)

Next, download recovery console. Here is the link how to install it http://www.theelderg...ery_console.htm. Once done, open recovey console at startup, goto [windows]\system32\config, rename the file system.new to system. If you can't rename it try to delete the system first then rename as mentioned. Once done, type exit your system will restart and boot up normally. Go ahead and check your registry and your problem is solved.

This trick was posted on other forums sadly to say the website is no longer exist anymore and can't remember the guy name that kindly solve my problem.

I will not held responsible if anything happen messing around your registry. To tell you this, it's really worked if you follow the procedure above.

Note: Always make a backup first incase you mess up your registry.

Edited by rumbia, 13 October 2005 - 02:10 AM.

suryad

suryad

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts
That was a very helpful post...to know for reference. Thanks a lot rumbia.

Takeshi

Takeshi

Legitchecking...

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts
It'd be simpler to load WinPE to do it.

JRosenfeld

JRosenfeld

• PipPip
  • 100 posts
You could just right click on the key you want to delete, click permissions, and give the account you are logged in as full rights on that key.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN