Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Info about LAYOUT.INF needed...

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

marko2511

marko2511

• 10 posts
  • Joined 11-July 05
Hi everyone...

Searching this board for layout.inf gives so much results that it's hard to
find almost any valuable info...

Most of posts says "do not edit layout.inf" etc....

So my questions will be:

1. What is it for(layout.inf)?
2. Why are we not allowed to edit it(it's signed, i know)?
3. What would change if we could edit layout.inf
4. How will we benefit from it?

Thanks for answers...

Regards.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

fdv

fdv

MSFN Expert

• Developer
  • 1,111 posts
  • Joined 16-July 04
LAYOUT.INF - Loads all of the Operating System files to disc in preparation for installation
TXTSETUP.INF - Installs all of the Operating System files (do NOT go haywire, commenting everything out!)

A bit of trivia: you can modify LAYOUT and if you slipstream a Service Pack afterward, Windows will think the file is digitally signed.

Removing files from these two by commenting them out was how I got started removing useless Windows components. You need a hacked SYSSETUP.DLL or SETUPAPI.DLL to avoid errors.

marko2511

marko2511

• 10 posts
  • Joined 11-July 05

A bit of trivia: you can modify LAYOUT and if you slipstream a Service Pack afterward, Windows will think the file is digitally signed.

Interesting! Even funny (;

Removing files from these two by commenting them out was how I got started removing useless Windows components. You need a hacked SYSSETUP.DLL or SETUPAPI.DLL to avoid errors.

Indeed, yesterdy and last night i worked on setupapi.dll to patch it
so i can edit layout.inf. It's done now... And it's a bit different from patch that can be found on your home page(which i saw number of times but only few minutes ago i saw patch for setupapi.dll)... (;

Anyway. While "working" on setupapi.dll and others i found something that could be
interesting to someone here(maybe)...
There is TestCert key that can be used under [Unattended] section of your answer file.. Seems to me that this is path to your "test" certificate.
So, if i'am not wrong it could be possible to sign files by us and make it working...
I searched a littlebit on this board for TestCert but nothing came up...

Regards

marko2511

marko2511

• 10 posts
  • Joined 11-July 05

There is TestCert key that can be used under [Unattended] section of your answer file..

Hm. More info here:
http://www.google.co...3Amicrosoft.com

air101

air101
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 16-July 06

LAYOUT.INF - Loads all of the Operating System files to disc in preparation for installation
TXTSETUP.INF - Installs all of the Operating System files (do NOT go haywire, commenting everything out!)

How can i patch syssetup and setupapi ? I loaded both files into pe explorer but i cant find out where to disable the signature thing for layout.dll is....

I'd gladly take some help here ^^

best regards

- air

fdv

fdv

MSFN Expert

• Developer
  • 1,111 posts
  • Joined 16-July 04
Use mine. Download my ZIP and extract SETUPAPI.DL_ and put it in i386. Rename your old one .OLD or something.
Also, open LAYOUT.INF and do a search and replace of ",_x," to ",," (comma underscore x comma to comma comma) and save the change. (_x instructs windows to check exact filesize, and if you edit LAYOUT, you need to remove all of these)

air101

air101
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 16-July 06
Thanks, but i was kinda looking for a patch for win2003 :)

fdv

fdv

MSFN Expert

• Developer
  • 1,111 posts
  • Joined 16-July 04
Here you go then

air101

air101
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 16-July 06
very nice THX =)

air101

air101
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 16-July 06
Does anyone know if theres a tutorial how to patch setupapi.dll ?

would be nice to know =)

thx in advance

- air

gosh

gosh

gosh 2.0

• Patrons
  • 2,347 posts
  • Joined 03-October 03
Just use any hex editor to remove the _x like he said.

-gosh

air101

air101
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 16-July 06
just editing layout.inf doesnt work, setup craps out on gui start.... so is there really no tutorial for setupapi hacking ? :/

fdv

fdv

MSFN Expert

• Developer
  • 1,111 posts
  • Joined 16-July 04

just editing layout.inf doesnt work, setup craps out on gui start.... so is there really no tutorial for setupapi hacking ? :/

Why not try the one on my site?
2000, XP, 2003 included.

Edited by fdv, 24 December 2008 - 12:55 AM.

an3k

an3k

Junior

• Pip
  • 95 posts
  • Joined 15-June 08
just to clarify something:

if i edit the layout.inf and then slipstream SP3 into i can use my modified layout.inf without any other required changes or do i always have to use a modified SYSSETUP.DLL or SETUPAPI.DLL?

I'm currently in those problems. if gui-mode setup starts a fatal error occours which tells me that the signatur for windows xp setup is invalid.

Thank you very much!

Edited by an3k, 23 December 2008 - 04:21 AM.

fdv

fdv

MSFN Expert

• Developer
  • 1,111 posts
  • Joined 16-July 04

if i edit the layout.inf and then slipstream SP3 into i can use my modified layout.inf without any other required changes or do i always have to use a modified SYSSETUP.DLL or SETUPAPI.DLL?

It seems like you have to use a hacked DLL. I really don't recall; I have been using hacked DLLs forever. I wouldn't think of doing it any other way.

air101

air101
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 16-July 06
is there a byte array patch for 64bit windows 2003 as well ?

Acheron

Acheron

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 988 posts
  • Joined 28-June 04
Just an issue I have when modifying layout.inf is that it breaks Windows System File Protection from asking for a CD. Even with a patched setupapi.dll when you run sfc /scannow Windows will not show any warnings, but instead error 0x00000490 Element not found will be written to the event log.

Edited by Acheron, 28 June 2013 - 11:25 AM.

Say no to bloatware. Download Nero Lite!

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 4,379 posts
  • Joined 14-September 05
http://www.msfn.org/...post__p__678214

Inside is another link -
http://www.msfn.org/...ndpost&p=188809

The assertion is do NOT patch SETUPAPI.DLL but properly modify LAYOUT.INF.

HTH

disclaimer - AFAICR, I haven't done any of that.

Someday the tyrants will be unthroned... Jason "Jay" Chasteen; RIP, bro!

Posted Image

Acheron

Acheron

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 988 posts
  • Joined 28-June 04
It is not a problem during setup and probably not a big deal after setup. Most people won't need SFC to be working anyway. But if you want system file protection enabled any modification to the layout.inf file will break it. At least on Windows XP SP3.

Edited by Acheron, 28 June 2013 - 01:59 PM.

Say no to bloatware. Download Nero Lite!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users