98 SE SP 2.0.2

Gape

Hello Gape & Co.,

unfortunately I'm also experiencing problems with KB891711, which I think is included after SP20RC1.EXE  :(

My question is: Can I install somehow SP2.0.2 without installing any feature included in KB891711 ? Otherwise I should Use SP20RC1 4ever.

Please check Control Panel - Add/Remove Programs. I included a seperate uninstaller for Q891711 in the SP 2.0+.

If this doesn't help, maybe I can make Q891711 as an seperate option on the next version.

Edited by Gape

I would like to know if anyone knows of a good fix for Windows 98SE. I'm unable to apply the following patch due to this abovementioned bug:

Microsoft Security Bulletin MS05-002

Vulnerability in Cursor and Icon Format Handling Could Allow Remote Code Execution (891711)

It causes some error that I've forgotten the exact word of, but I can barely make it into safe mode to fix the problem, and I've no wish to repeat the exercise.  :}

Tihiy made an unofficial patch for this problem. Maybe you can apply it? Link.

Please let us the result...

Thank You Gape,

it looks like Tihiy's patch doesn't work for me, but as you said uninstalling KB891711 from Add/Remove done the job. Anyway it's very good idea to have it as a separate option in next SP Releases :)

Thank You Again and 10x to all other developers,

Bye

• 3 weeks later...

note to Gape: can you include Q240896 opengl32.dll fix in your SP?

I read an old post that you may include Q265528 & Q329128 in a future release of the 98se SP. You can forget about that. MS told me (and Petr) that those two patches are no longer available as those hotfixes have been scrapped. I wont bother asking MS again for those as I will be told again they are not available.

BulStar, SP20RC1.EXE had KB891711.EXE version 4.10.2222, which caused those blue screen problems. Try installing the latest version of Gape's SP [sP v2.02], which has KB891711.EXE version 4.10.2223. Realize that the MS05-002 Win98 security patch was revised to fix the problems caused by the original Q891711 patch. When I applied the revised Q891711 Win98 patch or Gape's v2.02 98SE pack [NOT SP 2.0 RC1], I no longer had the blue screen problems at startup.

Edited by erpdude8

By the way, I have a suggestion. May I ask Gape to include the various fixes found in MGDx' website (like DirectX, MDAC, IE 6 updates, etc)?

DirectX & IE6 updates are most likely NOT going to be included in Gape's SP. That'll make the pack very large and some people dont like to download gigantic multi-megabyte size files. Some MDAC updates are already included in the 98se SP, lightninglord2000. you need to specify which MDAC updates you would like to be included in Gape's pack.

Note to BulStar: get Gape's 98se SP 2.02 and install it over SP 2.0 RC1 without removing/un-installing the older 98se pack. Then your MS05-002 Win98 security patch problems will go away. Like I said before, Microsoft fixed the blue screen problems by issuing a revised Q891711 patch for Win98/ME.

about the OLE Automation 2.40.4526 files from the Win2000 KB886765 hotfix. DONT include them in the 98se SP as they can break IE scripts & activeX controls. stick with version 2.40.4522 of the asycfilt.dll, oleaut32.dll, olepro32.dll and stdole2.tlb files.

about the OLE Automation 2.40.4526 files from the Win2000 KB886765 hotfix. DONT include them in the 98se SP as they can break IE scripts & activeX controls. stick with version 2.40.4522 of the asycfilt.dll, oleaut32.dll, olepro32.dll and stdole2.tlb files.
Actually only oleaut32.dll from Q886765 is buggy to install under Win9x. All other files work ok.

I've tested on 2 PCs, with Win98 FE, Win98 SE and WinME.

The bug in oleaut32.dll 2.40.4526 was with Macromedia Flash presentations/movies/etc streamed from within MS IE, or even played from the local HD. After I restored oleaut32.dll 2.40.4522, everything worked ok again.

erpdude8 found another bug with OLE update 2.40.4526 [even without oleaut32.dll (?)] when installed on WinME, if I recall correctly, he said it breaks HTML help engine. [?]

Anyway, for users who wish to install one or the other, this page contains both versions of OLE update:

http://www.mdgx.com/add.htm#OLE

OLEUP.EXE [2.40.4526] = meant for Windows 98 FE, 98 SE + NT4

OLEUPME.EXE [2.40.4522] = meant for Windows ME

but they can be both installed on any 9x/ME based OS.

Hope this helps.

Edited by MDGx

hello,

first of all... a big thanks to the creators of the unofficial windoze98se servicepack! ;-)

i´ve found this little piece of coolness yesterday at sufing the net - and i download, installed and use it now (the german version)... but i´ve found a problem that was not there before installing... "empty windows" in the taskbar after closing programs... it´s not dramatical... if i click the mousebutton over them, they will close...but during work i´ve got sometimes over 30 of them and they blocking other active tasks... that is bad...

i don´t know, if somebody has the same problems and posting this here, because my english is not so good and i´ve not reading all the posts in this thread - please forgive me that...

i´ve testet this with the various install options - and this problem comes only when i installing the hotfixes. (first option)

i think, there is something (a single hotfix?) working not correct...but which?

thanks for every solution and tips!

greetings from germany to all of you,

edit: added a screenshot...hope it will help to understand...

Trixter

post-76787-1129667448_thumb.jpg

Edited by Trixter

erpdude8 found another bug with OLE update 2.40.4526 [even without oleaut32.dll (?)] when installed on WinME, if I recall correctly, he said it breaks HTML help engine. [?]

NO MDGX!! OLE update 2.40.4526 does NOT BREAK HTML Help Engine!!!! It breaks WinME Help and Support Center, NOT HTML Help. In fact, HTML Help [hh.exe] in ME ran fine with the ole 2.40.4526 update. It's Help and Support [helpctr.exe] that chokes when launched if OLE automation v2.40.4526 update is installed under WinME. try not to confuse the two.

i´ve found this little piece of coolness yesterday at sufing the net - and i download, installed and use it now (the german version)... but i´ve found a problem that was not there before installing... "empty windows" in the taskbar after closing programs... it´s not dramatical... if i click the mousebutton over them, they will close...but during work i´ve got sometimes over 30 of them and they blocking other active tasks... that is bad...

i don´t know, if somebody has the same problems and posting this here, because my english is not so good and i´ve not reading all the posts in this thread - please forgive me that...

i´ve testet this with the various install options - and this problem comes only when i installing the hotfixes. (first option)

The reason of this problem is updated USER.EXE and USER32.DLL files.

If you want, you can revert back to original version (4.10.2222), but don't forget that newer version (4.10.2231) of these files contain at least 9 different bug-fixes.

Thank you for your infos @Gape!

Are the "user.exe" and "user32.dll" the only files, which i must replace - or are there another? If so...can you please tell me? Thanks...

Ok... i do it so... i save this old files on harddrive, then install the update und than replace the newer ones with the saved ones... and test it.... i will tell how it works...

Greetings, Trixter

...so... i has testing this... and it worked ok! Thanx a lot!...

...but...now i have a little trouble with my modem, the connection and a "pci bus master device"...

also... after the changing the files all worked correct - no errors. Later that night i connected to the internet... and some time later the connection would break... no problem... i tried again and continue surfing. some minutes later the same break - another time i set up the connection and... some minutes later... a bluescreen... "Error in PPCMAC xxx" or somesthing - i do not remember now... after a reboot a new screen appear... "Windows has found new hardware" and would to install them... a "PCI Busmaster Device"... but i have no driver for that thing and break the installation... ok... after another reboot i check the hardware for errors (in the "Systemsteuerung" - i do not know how it names in English), but there was all ok... after that i tried the automatical hardwaresearch from windows... this found a new hardware, but no "Pci Busmaster" - it found another modem! (same name, same port) Hm.... i let install this and now... i have two modem(s) who are connected on the same com-port... both working....!

Thats funny... but it is correct?

Any ideas? Thanx...

Trixter

• 2 weeks later...

The reason of this problem is updated USER.EXE and USER32.DLL files.

If you want, you can revert back to original version (4.10.2222), but don't forget that newer version (4.10.2231) of these files contain at least 9 different bug-fixes.

empty icon buttons on the taskbar also happen when closing a screen saver. Microsoft support article # 280722 discusses about the problem:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/280722

if you install hotfix Q260067 or the latest one [Q291362] or even install the KB891711 security update for Win98 regardless if you have original 98se user.exe/user32.dll files or not, you will have the bug mentioned in MS KB article 280722. you should NOT worry about that bug because microsoft isnt going to fix it and it doesnt cause major problems and doesnt cause crashes. I can live with the bug.