New Planet Discovered in the Solar System?

utln

they are always finding new planets, i wonder how many are really out there :)

That will be argued over their size. Some are saying Pluto isn't a planet because it is to small and is part of the Van Oort (sp?) belt or some such.

And seeing they are finding more and more galaxies and now they are finding planets around other suns. Wouldn't it be wonderful to look out a window and do a fly by of some of these places. <Sigh> Not in my lifetime. Closest thing I might have is a slim chance at is to burp out of the atmosphere on something like Spaceship 1.

I look at the pictures that are produced by Hubble and other telescopes and the sky just goes on and on and on. Point in almost any direction and there is stuff there and there is more stuff behind that. <sigh>

Then I get a grip and realize that the pictures are enhansed, manipulated, taken in a different spectrum and if you were there, you would really be in the middle of nowhere because the stuff is so, so far apart. :D I read somewhere that when two gallaxies collide and rip each other apart that virtually nothing touches because the empty space is so great.

DL

There are many obects out in the Oort could and in the Keiper belt that can be construed as planets if not studied well enough. Pluto and its moon Charon are considered to be planets but are also contested as being some of the largest Keiper objects. This is also the region of space that the comets come from. All of the bodies that are out in those regions are left overs from the acreation disk that formed our solar system. That is why thedy are being studies so much. I do not think that there is going to be another Planet X out there that science will all of a sudden find.

Figured I would pipe up and hopefully answer some questions.... Been a couple of years since I was studying Astronomy so I apologize for spellnig errors. (Amature Astronmer)