Can anyone Recommend a router?

Cyber Axe

i have a s*** souter that cost me quite a bit not that long ago and its s*** unfortunatly i had to get soemthign that connected to the net cos old modem burned out and my i somehow ednedgetting this pos

anyway every router i look at on the net seems to have some downfall

i'm looking for one that can connect to ADSL has built in switch WIFI at a minimum b and g though i'd like Pre-N/MIMO too even though i prolly wont use it for ages and a firewall

along with easy yet good configuration options liek the ability to open a ranege of ports some routers dont do this

and most imortatnly DOES NOT CRASH when connected to p2p networks and bit torrent

would be nice to have one that also had VoIP built in though not really needed at the moment

so anyone know any decent routers? thanks

I will second the Linksys WRT54G. Run that with wifibox firmware (you can find it at linksysinfo.org) and you're unstoppable. :)

I don't think that there are any routers with VoIP and wireless, but I could be wrong.

There aren't too many pre-n routers out there at the moment. You're probably just better off sticking with the tried and tested 802.11g networks for now. I've never had a speed problem with mine, and I constantly stream movies over wireless.

I will second the Linksys WRT54G. Run that with wifibox firmware (you can find it at linksysinfo.org) and you're unstoppable. :)

Nice site!

I don't think that there are any routers with VoIP and wireless, but I could be wrong.

Actually, on the very site you linked to, it actually mentions Linksys' router. The WRT54GP2 supports 802.11 b/g wireless, VoiP, DSL/Cable, Ethernet Switch, the usual good stuff. Click that link for more info.

I also noticed above that someone mentioned the Linksys WRT54G. I bought that router nearly a month ago at Circuit City when it was on sale and set it up at home. After upgrading the firmware (3.x to 4.x) and setting up all the security options, etc., I'm afraid to say that it STILL kicks me off the wireless network randomly. And it's just not my computer; EVERYONE on the wireless network get's kicked off. I can't ping the router from any of the computers, and I have to restart the router in order to be able to get back on the wireless network. You think I'm doing something wrong?

It does this about once a week, so it's not really THAT big of deal, but it's still annoying.

You might also want to check out Netgear's 802.11g routers.

Hope that helps...

Edited by Wicket20519

@wicket20519 - It could just be the craptastic Linksys firmware. There are known problems with them.

Like I said before, go with wifibox. I've never had a problem with that firmware, and I've been running it for a good few months now. I use BitTorrent frequently and surf the web as well. Even with 4 computers all running at the same time, the thing just keeps on trucking at full speed. :)

Now... if someone could only get a proper VPN server working on those firmwares... *drools*

Like I said before, go with wifibox. I've never had a problem with that firmware, and I've been running it for a good few months now. I use BitTorrent frequently and surf the web as well. Even with 4 computers all running at the same time, the thing just keeps on trucking at full speed. :)

I'm looking at this page and I was wondering; am I even on the correct page, and if so, which one did you download?

Yeppers, that's the one.

I'm using the 2.02.2.6 version right now and I haven't had any problems with it. Just make **** sure that the version that you download is compatible with your version of router (i.e. WRT54G V1.0, V2.0, etc). It should say what version you have on the label on your router. If you flash with the wrong firmware, you'll end up with a really expensive paperweight. I think that this firmware will only work for v1.0 and v2.0, but not anything above.

hold on... I think you misunderstood... :P

You upgraded your drivers to the v4.0 from Linksys, right?

I'm talking about the hardware revision of the router. It's on a label on the underside of your router. The current version of the firmware doesn't matter at all when changing to new firmware.

I'd also recommend Linksys... as far as the VoIP, I'm not sure.  But I'd go with the Linksys WRT54G.  Its a good product with good range and a 4-port switch.

****, you told him before me...

THIS IS AN AWESOME ROUTER!! Using modified firmware, you can do anything with it! :D

One of my personal favourites... I actually have a few of them at home! ;)

thanks for the suggestions, ive been looking at the WRT54G but it doesnt appear to have a built in DSL modem which is the most important part!

and i couldnt even find the GP2 on the shipping sites i usualy check (mainly for reviews an such)

i am now checking out the Linksys WAG54G which looks a lot like hte WRT54G but with a DSL modem integrated anyone had any experience with that model?

edit:

nevermind the WAG54G has gotten shockingly bad reviews seems to suffer from constant disconnection and stuff just like this one

Edited by Cyber Axe

nevermind the router has gotten shockingly bad reviews seems to suffer from constant disconnection and stuff just like this one

Right before I had logged on here I had just got done disconnecting my WRT54G and replacing it with my good ol' Netgear router.

Does anyone have ANY suggestions for good firmware for the WRT54G? I'm extremely frustrated with it and before I call it a piece of sh!t and return it, I'd really like to be able to see if different firmware can fix it! Thanks!

I have both a linksys WRT54G v1.1 and a D-link 524. I upgraded the firmware (official linksys) and it messed up the router. I am going to have to RMA it. I never had problems with disconnections though and up till now has been great.

I had to setup the D-link and it is working like a charm.

]Bonkers[