Q: Enable User Account

mow

Hello Benjamin,

I Wish to enable the Guest account (and show it on thw welcome screen)

I figured out I can use the Status.x Command in order to enable the account,

but what is the status for Enabled? Where can I find a list of avaliable status?

Thanks,

Moshe

Hi mow,

you can find a list of status flags on http://www.kalytta.com/wihu.manual.php

I also added the function to show/hide user account on welcome screen in new WIHU version 2.1.20.0. Corresponding inifile keyword is ShowOnWelcome.x

your status could be status.x = 0x200 (UF_NORMAL_ACCOUNT)

Benjamin Kalytta

Edited by BenjaminKalytta

HI Benjamin,

upgraded to latest version but now the Administrator account shows up on the Welcome screen which it never did before. I don´t have any setting for the Admin account in my ini file yet, can you quickly tell me what I have to add so that the Admin account does not appear (like in previous versions ?)

Sorry, I am a bit in a hurry these days and don´t have much time to look for the solution myself ...

If you have the time ...

Thanks !

Alex

Yes your solution would work. The default behaviour is to show the user account. There must be an item in your users section of your INI file where you change some Administrator account settings. This causes WIHU to override Windows default behaviour.

(*) Some days ago I read a posting where one user was wondering why Administrator isn't showed on welcome screen any more after he created one additional account with administrative privileges.

It seems that Windows will hide this account on welcome screen even if it isn't explicitely specified this way.

But to be sure I need some information from your Windows Registry.

Please could you tell me the content of the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\SpecialAccounts\UserList

So if you don't want to show Administrator account on welcome screen you have to add ShowOnWelcome.x=0

If I want to restore Windows default behaviour as explained in (*) I need some one who can verify this.

Then it will be a bit more complicated, but not impossible. ;)

Benjamin

Hi Benjamin,

nice to hear from you again !

Here´s the entries for the regkey you mentioned:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\SpecialAccounts\UserList]

"Hilfeassistent"=dword:00000000

"TsInternetUser"=dword:00000000

"SQLAgentCmdExec"=dword:00000000

"NetShowServices"=dword:00000000

"HelpAssistant"=dword:00000000

"IWAM_"=dword:00010000

"IUSR_"=dword:00010000

"VUSR_"=dword:00010000

"ASPNET"=dword:00000000

"Administrator"=dword:00000000

"Alexander"=dword:00000001

By the way ...

The administrator entries, I mentioned above ... they worked. However, they somehow cleared the administrator password I set in winnt.sif which is bad and I don´t want to add the pw in two places if I can avoid it ... so maybe you succeed in restoring the default Windows behaviour ...

One other thing ....

As you can see at the attached pic, the Alexander account I created with Wihu shows a strange profile path (D:\Administrator). I don´t know how long that error exists, just saw it ...

There must be an item in your users section of your INI file where you change some Administrator account settings. This causes WIHU to override Windows default behaviour.

ah ... no, I don´t have anything in my ini file in the [users] section except for the following:

[Users]

Home=%PERSONAL%
Group=1
Status=0x10028

Default=0
User.0=Alexander
Group.0=1
Status.0=0x10028

[Environment]

Personal=D:\%ThisUser%
My Video=D:\%ThisUser%\Eigene Videos
My Music=D:\%ThisUser%\Eigene Musik
My Pictures=D:\%ThisUser%\Eigene Bilder
Favorites=D:\%ThisUser%\Favoriten
Desktop=D:\%ThisUser%\Desktop

Bye,

Alex

Here´s the entries for the regkey you mentioned:

Hehe, what i ment was the list before your ShowOnWelcome.1=0

ah ... no, I don´t have anything in my ini file in the [users] section except for the following:

What about /Admin=x or /AdminPwd=x switch? As I said, I need the registry keys before you added ShowOnWelcome key.

The administrator entries, I mentioned above ... they worked. However, they somehow cleared the administrator password I

Just use Password.x = *

As you can see at the attached pic, the Alexander account I created with Wihu shows a strange profile path (D:\Administrator).

That's no strange profile path ;)

I'll explain step by step:

1. In [users] you set default home path (which will be used for each user if not overidden per user) Home = %PERSONAL%

2. In [Environment] you set Personal = D:\%ThisUser%

3. So this causes to create D:\Administrator for "Administrator" account, D:\Alexander for "Alexander" user account and so on.

Benjamin

Benjamin,

That's no strange profile path newwink.gif

I'll explain step by step:

1. In [users]you set default home path (which will be used for each user if not overidden per user) Home = %PERSONAL%

2. In [Environment] you set Personal = D:\%ThisUser%

3. So this causes to create D:\Administrator for "Administrator" account, D:\Alexander for "Alexander" user account and so on.

sorry, but your are missing the point here ... :P

Look at the picture again: That profile is for the username "alexander", yet it shows a profile path: D:\Administrator ...

Get it ? :D

Something is wrong, it should be D:\Alexander, not D:\Administrator

Also, I just found out, that Wihu created a second profile folder in the C:\Documente und Einstellungen folder named Administrator.Computer .... !?!? (see pic)

As for the regkey ... mhh, sorry, don´t have what you want unless I reinstall Windows again, which I may do soon anyway, but not now.

Thanks,

Alex

You set Home=%PERSONAL%, I think what you ment was Home.0=%PERSONAL%

Update: But indeed there seems to be a bug which causes %ThisUser% not to be replaced correctly.

Also, I just found out, that Wihu created a second profile folder in the C:\Documente und Einstellungen folder named Administrator.Computer

Home isn't the profile folder, only the base directory! So if you want to change the profile folder use profile.x=<path>

Administrator.Computer isn't created by WIHU. Wihu will create folders like:

Administrator

Administrator.0001

Administrator.0002

etc.

Windows will use another schema:

Administrator

Administrator.Computer

Administrator.001

Administrator.002

etc.

The reason Windows creates this folder is, that Windows found out that Administrator directory already exists during profile directory creation. This could be after windows reinstallation on the same partition without formating it before.

Did you use /Admin=x or /AdminPwd=x switch? Please note, that Default values like Home = x will also applied on this account then!

Benjamin

I found and fixed the bug which causes your problem. Correct shellfolders weren't loaded before user creation.

Please note, that %ThisHome% and %ThisProfile% can't be used any more in [users] section only in Software sections.

In [Environment] section you may only use %ThisUser%

HI Benjamin,

just tried your new version. A quick test showed that it seems to work now, I will use that version for my next installation and tell you. Thanks ! :)

You set Home=%PERSONAL%, I think what you ment was Home.0=%PERSONAL%
No, I do mean Home=%PERSONAL% as I want this to be the default for all users. It always worked .... can I still use it ?
Home isn't the profile folder, only the base directory! So if you want to change the profile folder use profile.x=<path>

Yeah, I know, I just mixed up the words. I did mean base directory.

Windows will use another schema:

Administrator

Administrator.Computer

Administrator.001

Administrator.002

etc.

The reason Windows creates this folder is, that Windows found out that Administrator directory already exists during profile directory creation. This could be after windows reinstallation on the same partition without formating it before.

Did you use /Admin=x or /AdminPwd=x switch? Please note, that Default values like Home = x will also applied on this account then!

Mhh, I did reformat C: before installation and I did not use any of the switches you mentioned. Strange.

Anyway ... for my next installation I will use those values:

[Users]

Home=%PERSONAL%
Group=1
Status=0x10028

Default=0
User.0=Name eingeben
Group.0=1
Status.0=0x10028
Comment.0=This is a new user created with WIHU

[Environment]

Personal=D:\%ThisUser%
My Video=D:\%ThisUser%\Eigene Videos
My Music=D:\%ThisUser%\Eigene Musik
My Pictures=D:\%ThisUser%\Eigene Bilder
Favorites=D:\%ThisUser%\Favoriten
Desktop=D:\%ThisUser%\Desktop

Administrator will still show up on the Welcome page this way, right ? Do you still need the regkey after such an installation ?

BYe,

Alex

Hi Benjamin,

I did a new installation (in VMware) with Wihu now, just so you get your regkeys ...

So I did it without mentioning Administrator in the ini file as I posted before.

Administrator now shows up on the welcome screen and this is the regkey you wanted:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\SpecialAccounts\UserList]
"Hilfeassistent"=dword:00000000
"TsInternetUser"=dword:00000000
"SQLAgentCmdExec"=dword:00000000
"NetShowServices"=dword:00000000
"HelpAssistant"=dword:00000000
"IWAM_"=dword:00010000
"IUSR_"=dword:00010000
"VUSR_"=dword:00010000
"ASPNET"=dword:00000000
"Alexander"=dword:00000001

I hope you can change the behaviour so Administrator does not show up on the Welcome screen by default :)

Thanks,

Alex

Edited by midiboy

No, I do mean Home=%PERSONAL% as I want this to be the default for all users. It always worked .... can I still use it ?

Yes of course you may use it.

Administrator now shows up on the welcome screen and this is the regkey you wanted:

Many thanks for testing this.

I see ... it means that WIHU don't change anything there. You must find "Administrator"=dword:00000001 in the list but I didn't find it.

So it seems that the default behaviour is to show the Administrator by default on welcome screen.

If don't want this you have to use ShowOnWelcome.x = 0.

What about "Administrator.Computer" profile folder now, is there such folder now?

Btw. you should use Primary = <idx> in future even if Default = <idx> is still be supported currently.

Benjamin

I see ... it means that WIHU don't change anything there. You must find "Administrator"=dword:00000001 in the list but I didn't find it.

So it seems that the default behaviour is to show the Administrator by default on welcome screen.

If don't want this you have to use ShowOnWelcome.x = 0.

Mhh,

if that is so, why did it always work fine before in earlier Wihu versions ? I never mentioned the Administrator in the ini and it never showed up on the welcome screen until now ...

Also, I dont think that this is the default Windows behaviour. Usually, the Administrator only appears on the Welcome screen if there is no other useraccount available. If there is at least one account available, the Admin account does not appear. That is the default behaviour.

That was also the case with earlier Wihu versions, so I guess THAT was default behaviour. Now, the admin account appears even when another account exists.

What about "Administrator.Computer" profile folder now, is there such folder now?

No, but that only appeared when I used the User.1=Administrator entry in the ini. I will try that next :-)

Bye,

Alex

Also, I dont think that this is the default Windows behaviour.

It must be default behaviour since WIHU (as expected) don't change anything in UsersList.

Please verify that user "Alexander" has administrator rights.

No, but that only appeared when I used the User.1=Administrator entry in the ini. I will try that next :-)

I'll verify this now.

Benjamin