Two ethernet NICs form one manufacturer

xaxo

I am experiencing a problem having 2 Realtek NICs. Only the first one for which I install drivers works, the second doesn`t. Once I tried to find some information about this, but google told me that 98 cannot work with 2 identical NICs. I would like to ask whether there is a patch for having 2 identical NICs on 98SE or is there going to be, because it`s pretty much annoing :)

Ha Ha Ha,,,,,bit by the bug, are you?

That's true,,,,98 or even 98/SE can't tell the difference between the first device and the second one, if they are identical. (using the same drivers)

That bug bit me too,,,when I tried to run dual modems. I had to use modems from different manufacturers. Luckily, I had some here and didn't have to buy anything new.

So the simple answer to you is YES,,,,get yourself a different brand or at least a different model of nic and you'll be off and running.

Just very curious though.....Why do you need two nic's? :wacko:

Andromeda43

It`s a little bit complicated :)

1 is connected to a local network where my internet comes from (via 10Mbit hub + router -> NAT)

2 is connected to my ISP-s network directly (via 100Mbit switch), but does`t have access to the internet :(

I am using 2 under FreeBSD because it is better connected to the ISP-s network, where I need fast connection to some servers I administer. To avoid confusions I have to poit out that till some months before I used different ISP for internet and via the NAT I used to access different ISP.

After all I use 1 for internet and 2 for work :)

OK,,,that's cool.....

But, when you load the drivers for the second (identical) nic, windows thinks you're just re-loading the drivers for the first nic and the second one never gets drivers loaded at all.

I know it's a weird problem, but an old one too.

Just get a different nic for #2, load the drivers and you should be OK.

Cheers!

Andromeda43