Internet Connection sharing ADSL

seal

Hello

Right I have two Dell computers (Laptop/Desktop) that I have just loaded Windows XP on. I have ADSL on desktop and have network to laptop (Network is operating fine) I did the internet connection sharing and it sort of works. I can access some pages but not others,

I just don't get it. eg. I can't access www.google.com but I can access www.nokia.com. I tried in DOS to PING www.google.com and I think everything worked, it said information sent and recieved.

I am thinking its just a setting or something. I can access the internet through the host computer (desktop) fine, no problems.

I have a dial up network connection on the laptop with the problem and the internet works fine.

Please help me.

Please not active links posted anywhere on the forums, thanks....edited by mod/admin[/color:7c003f872b]

Is your ADSL PPoE? Is there software that your ISP sent you to install on your desktop for your internet connection? If so that might be your problem and you may have to get a hardware router to share your internet connection.

If it is not the case, then perhaps your problem is DNS related, make sure your notebook has your ISP's DNS entries.

Hope this helps.

Ashley

Is your ADSL PPoE? Is there software that your ISP sent you to install on your desktop for your internet connection? If so that might be your problem and you may have to get a hardware router to share your internet connection.

If it is not the case, then perhaps your problem is DNS related, make sure your notebook has your ISP's DNS entries.

Hope this helps.

Ashley [/quote:1f02391d07]

The software I got was from Telstra Aust. and did not work with WinXP

so I just did the internet wizard in XP as it has ADSL PPoE in it and it works fine. Its just the other computer sharing the connection. I don't understand the DNS settings so if possible would you know where to put what.

On the PC that can connect to the internet, go into network properties, tcp/ip, advanced, there is a DNS tab, you may or may not have settings in there. If not, go to a dos prompt, by clicking, start, run, then type, cmd. In the dos window type ipconfig.

Then you should see two DNS entries. Type those into the second computer, where I mentioned above. That should solve your surfing problem. The other thing the second pc will need is a default gateway. In your case the default gateway will be the internal IP of the machine with two network cards.

Hope this helps.

Ashley

First off [b:73dbfe11e7]seal[/b:73dbfe11e7] do me a real big favor and take time out and read the forums rules. You can find a link in my sig below. Your post was edited.

Secondly I had this same problem, but mine turned out to be the firewall. It was blocking access to different websites. Im not sure why but I was guessing because those had some flash of activex control on them. Its worth a shot to try it out. Turn off XP firewall and anything else you may have running and see if you can connect to them then.

-XPerties

Also look at your internet security setting and have them on medium when you do this.

• 2 weeks later...

I have, and have had this problem for some time now. I even had it back with Win98 and 2k. I used a different proxy program with 98 and 2k. My DSL connection is not a static IP, so DNS entry is not an option for me. I may, in the future, go with a router when I get the cash and see how that goes.

I've set up several small businesses and networked households on ADSL and Cable internet and will say that certainly the best way to do it is with a router that also has NAT and a firewall built in. I've found that the most flexible setup is to use an external DSL or Cable modem and hook that to the router. Most have hubs built in too. I have set up several SOHO NBG800 router/firewalls and they work great for about $90 - $100.

ICS is OK, but not the most flexible choice, especially since XP. MS has made the configuration simpler for the novice, but has taken away some of the configuration settings that you could change in W98se and ME, i.e. DHCP options.

• 2 weeks later...

First convert your USB connection to UTP cat 5 via a belikin hub then buy yourself a Sonic firewall and enable DHCP in it, Configure the firewall to deliver Dns gateway etc and then your away.

I have this type of system at home and it works like a dream i have never been hacked "got a few people kicked of there ISP for trying"

And as the ADSl connection is always on you are fully protected as long as you config Sonic correctly.

ht*p://sonicwall.com

How do i know all this !!

I am a system engineer working for a major communictations company contracting to BT ignite..

Hope this helps..

• 5 weeks later...