Delete Recycle Bin

edusnow

Hi,...

I try in my Unatented Xp instalation, that i d´ont have any icons on my desktop. The recycle bin seams to stay :angry:.I have to try a lot off modifications with Regedit, but none works to me. Can anynone helps to me who to do that?

thanks

snow

Okay, here is what you do. Create a 32x32 pixel icon file (I use Microangelo) with a transparent color and name it rcycle.ico and save it in Windows\System32 folder. Right click somewhere on your desktop and choose Properties. Click the Destop tab, then click the customize Destop button below. Highlight the Recycle Bin by clicking on it and hit the Change Icon button. Navigate to your new icon file and then click okay. Do the same thing for both the Full and Empty Recycle Bin icon. Back out and apply.

Your Recycle Bin should now be invisible!

Now, go to your registry and search for rcycle.ico. It should show up in this key:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CLSID\{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}\DefaultIcon]

There are three entries there. Export this key to a .reg file or include it in your RegTweak file.

Now make sure you put the rcycle.ico into your $oem$\$$\System32 folder for your unattended install and Bob's your uncle.

You can address the name underneath the Recycle Bin by another Reg Tweak in the same key, but one level up from the DefaultIcon folder. Enter something like a period, or you could use Alt+160 which will give you a completely blank space. (enter that into Notepad and then copy it if you like)

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CLSID\{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}]
@=" "

Now your Recycle Bin will still be there if you want/need it, but it won't show!!! :o)

Hope this helps.

You could also install TweakUI to help you find the setting. There's a setting in there to remove the recycle bin. Use RegShot to find the differences before and after the tweak is applied and then add that to your RegTweaks.

Hi,...

It is ok now. I install the TweakUi and the Regshot. With the first i "hide" the Recycle Bin, and made a second shot with the Regshot. I analyse the diferences and,... made a reg file like that,....

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[Hkey_Current_User\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons\NewStartPanel]

"{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}"=dword:00000001

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Then i made a merge of that file with the registry and it works, after logout/login.

thanks to you Zxian and DonDamn.

Snow

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons\NewStartPanel]
"{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}"=dword:00000001

Edited by Yzöwl

• 9 months later...

A simplier way is to right click your desktop, click "Arrange Icons By" and uncheck "Show Desktop Icons". The nice thing about this is that you can bring back your icon at anytime by simply checking "Show Desktop Icons".