Unattended Office 97

compass

i did stacks of research on this and there are loads of docs available on MS website.

It isn't easy compared with Office2k and upwards but is possible.

When i get back to work late next week, i'll see if i've still got he links i found and will publish for you.

• 2 weeks later...

right - have just done a quick version and it seems to work ok (some tweaking needed but the principle is there)

1. Run office setup by using the command setup /a to create an install point.

Follow the on screen prompts to create a network installable but save it to your C: drive. The process actually creates 2 folders; the main install folder (which I called c:\Office97 and an apps folder which I set to c:\Office97_2 (imaginative I know....). Don't know if it causes problems renaming from the default but the install seemed to work....

2. Get hold of the Office Resource Kit from

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...&displaylang=en

which is a help file. Browse the 'Client installation tools' part of the help file and follow the hyperlink to download and run the Network Installation Wizard (setupNIW.exe)

3. Install the NIW, and run it.

Follow the on screen prompts (is fairly self explanatory) to define what components you want installed, what desktop and start menu icons etc and where the install point files are (in my case it was c:\office97)

The lst file should be saved as the default custom.lst under the \custom\ folder

4. To test, cut the two folders to a CDRW, and run it on a clean machine.

5. The command line to use will be something like:

d:\office97\setup.exe /l custom\custom.lst /b2 /qt

and this line forces a totally quiet install (ie you don't even know the thing is installing if it weren't for the cd drive light flashing...!)

play around with the switches - a full list is at:

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=818555

as the totally quiet install may not work well with RunOnceEx or similar.

Note - even though I specified not to reboot at the end of the NIW, it still rebooted. This may be becuase of an incorrect switch on the command line which over-rode the lst file. i haven't bothered sorting it out, it's friday afternoon and time to go home! I'll mess about with it on monday....

Hope this helps.

Rob

• 9 months later...