Gigabyte DPS Card

Seanie's Show

Hi, this is regarding the gigabyte DPS card first of all my system is set up as follows:

bios clock speed currently at 263mhz 18hrs stable with prime 95

Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-SLI mobo (Nvidia Nforce 4 sli chipset)

AMD Athlon 64 Winchester 3000+ (1.8ghz) with Stock HS&F running at 2.37ghz

2 x Corsair platinum PC3200 400mhz 2.5-3-3-7 running at 434mhz (set to 166mhz)

HTT @ x4 instead of x5 current speed is 2094mhz instead of 2000mhz

Gigabyte GeForce PCX5750 128mb PCI-e Graphics card @ 100mhz

Western Digital 80gb SATA 8mb Cache 7200rpm in NVRAID 0 with below

Hitachi Deskstar 40gb SATA 8mb Cache 7200rpm in NVRAID 0 with above

1 x Sony Silver CD-/+ R/RW Drive (IDE) 1 x Sony Silver DVD x16 -/+ R/RW dual layer (IDE), 1 x Sony Floppy Disc Drive

Everything that is not being used ie LAN ports, IR, COM, Serial, 2nd IDE channel othere SATA channels have all been switched off in the bios.

I have heard that these winchester cores will go much further than my current clock speed, but even 1 clock higher than I have it set to, fails prime95 stability test within a few mins, I have heard that some people blame it on the DPS card installed in Gigabyte mobo's is it worth removing this card and trying to get the FSB higher, also this card restricts the HS&F I can put in my machine, I was going to buy a gigabyte g-power but it wont fit with this DPS card in place, is it safe to remove and run without this card, apparently it creates a 6 phase power curcuit to my mobo and without it you get a 3 phase power curcuit, whats the difference, im no electrician.

well someone over at XS did it and their comp wouldnt even power on but you should be able to do it.

that card allows you to sue dual power supplies? is that right? i would just remove it if i were you and if it doesnt power on then just put it back in.

Edited by ripken204

No, it doesnt aalow you to use dual power supplies, it creates a dual power system theough the mobo, normally a mobo runs in a 3 phase power system, this allows it to run in a 6 phase. Something to do with if a capacitor or mosfot fails on the board then this card acts as a back-up I think, cant find much info on it though.

Ive sent a technical support request to gigabyte, hopefully I should get a reply in a couple of days, someone said in one of the forums that they just removed the fan off the heatsink on the card to fit thier HS&F, so ive asked if this is safe or if there will be overheating probs, im quiet happy to keep the card there, just un-happy about not being able to use many other HS&F's because this card is in the way.

This is the one want that, at the moment, doesnt fit:

http://www.bigbruin.com/reviews05/gpower/?file=1

Edited by Seanie's Show

Gigabyte replied today and said that the system should run fine without the DPS card installed, and also said they would never recommend removing the heatink and fan from this card, below is my questions to them and the reply today from them.

2005/8/23 04:22

Question : I have a query about the DPS daughter card, I would like to fit the new Gigabyte G-Power HS&F to my system but unfortunatly this HS&F will not fit with this DPS daughter card in place, I have read many reviews regarding this card and they all differ in some way, I require proffesional advice on this subject, Q1. can I run my system as it is without this DPS card ie remove it completely ? or Q2. can I remove the fan off the heatsink on this DPS card without damaging the card in any way therefore enabeling me to fit this new HS&F ?.

Answer : Hi,

Q1. The system will run wihout DPS installed.

Q2. It is not advisible to remove the fan off heatsink on the DPS card.

NMow that I have removed the daughter card and the system is running fine, am going to clock it up a bit more and see if it is a bit more stable without this card in place.

Edited by Seanie's Show