New Laptop

harunaksoy

Hi, i'm going to buy a new laptop next week and i still cannot decide which one to buy :(

After searching for a while i found these 2 models, Acer Aspire 1692WLMi and Acer TravelMate 4602WLMi

Acer Aspire 1692WLMi € 1.273,00

Centrino 1.7GHz Dothan 740

1024MB DDR II RAM (2x 512)

15.4"WXGA Acer CrystalBrite

Double Layer DVD+/-RW (slot-in)

100GB (5400rpm)

ATI X700 128MB

10/100/1000Mbps Fast Ethernet & Integrated Intel? PRO/Wireless 2200BG

Lithium-Ion

XP HOME SP2

Acer TravelMate 4602WLMi € 1.296,00

Centrino 1.7GHz Dothan 740

512MB DDR II RAM

15.4 WXGA TFT LCD

DVD SuperMulti Double Layer

60 GB

ATI Mobility Radeon X700 64MB

Ethernet/Fast Ethernet/Gigabit Ethernet/IEEE 802.11b/IEEE 802.11g/Bluetooth

Lithium-Ion

XP PRO SP2

If you look at the specs Acer Aspire 1692WLMi looks better and also cheaper, but i might be wrong :P

I want to use the laptop for gaming, Photoshop, CD/DVD burning, DivX to DVD converting etc... The question is, which one should i buy?

I"m guessing that the Aspire has better features. I have a friend who has the Travelmate 8100 (*drool*) and the curved keyboard may seem strange at first, but it's extremely comfortable to type on. The straight keyboard can sometimes be straining on the wrists as you sometimes have to press your wrists inwards to get them aligned with the keys.

If you have used a standard laptop keyboard before and don't mind them, then I'd say go for the Aspire. If you have the chance to test the two out before you buy, I'd do that. There's nothing better than 10 minutes of using a laptop before you buy it. I chose my laptop over another similarly priced model because the keys and touchpad feel much better than the other models I tried. Without that, I wouldn't be able to use my laptop as easily as I do.

Edited by Zxian

the first one, the travelmate is meant for traveling, thats why its not as good.

aspire:

http://global.acer.com/products/notebook/as1690.htm

travelmate:

http://global.acer.com/products/notebook/tm4600.htm

you also get an extra 512 of ram, 40gigs of hdd, x700 128mb instead of 64mb(check if its integrated, i think it is since its a laptop)

Acer laptops all have dedicated VRAM on their video cards. Most modern non-motherboard based video cards (i.e. ATI or nVidia) have dedicated VRAM.

And how is the TravelMate "made" for traveling? They've both got the same specs (give or take), the same weight, and the same size. The only physical difference between the two is the curved keyboard of the Travelmate vs the standard keyboard of the Aspire.

The more I think about it the more I'm going to say the Aspire. You can see the specs I've got in my sig, so I've got a laptop that's the same size as what you have. I actually don't notice the standard keyboard layout that much, and I can still usually type at about 60 wpm when I'm not trying very hard (and I haven't had to write that much lately... :P). The curved keyboard is nice, but not worth the price difference, especially with the extra specs the Aspire has.

Have fun with your new toy! Just a couple of tips (if you haven't owned a laptop before):

• Get a proper carrying bag - something that is specifically designed for the 15.4" laptops. If you can, bring your laptop to the store to test out the bags before you buy one. It should be snug, but you should never have to force your laptop in there. If it's too loose, that's bad as well. I'm not sure what's available in your area, but Targus makes good bags (my backpack :thumbup). Swiss army bags are good as well. If you do a lot of traveling, get a backpack - your body will thank you at the end of the day.
  • Get a good LCD cleaner solution (i.e. don't be cheap). You get what you pay for in this department, and LCDs tend to collect more dust than CRTs since they're plastic.
  • If you're going to be doing CPU intensive work, invest in a cooling solution. It doesn't have to be fancy or expensive, or even need fans. I've got the Targus Coolpad (I'm not even sure if that's available where you are), and as you can see, all it does is raise the laptop up to allow airflow underneath. With it, my laptop CPU fan rarely turns on, whereas without it, I'd hear the fan every 20 minutes or so. Actually... get something like it anyways...it's worth the money. :P
  • Calibrate your battery once a month, no more, no less. Too often and you'll end up wearing out the battery prematurely, not enough and your battery life will drop over time.

Those are the biggies... I'm sure that you'll take good care of it. :)

Thank you for the tips, i'm sure they will be very usefull :)

I have one more question, if i don't care about the battery life which processor should i buy then? centrino, sempron or turion? A friend of mine said that the sempron is almost just as good as centrino, centrino just uses less power and is more expensive.

BAH!!! Your friend knows nothing!!! :P

Regardless of battery life, the Pentium-M processor (found in Centrino systems) is still the way to go. Laptops already have difficulties with cooling, and the low power usage of the Pentium-M processor makes it ideal for laptops.** The Turion is getting there, but still a ways off. It would be my second choice to Pentium-M (the 64-bit is a nice feature... but I'll wait until the Yonah core P-M comes out). The Spempron is horrible for laptops...trust me... my girlfriend has one... the fan comes on continuously.

** Just for comparisons sake... my laptop uses a 60W power adapter, and will keep up with my friend's P4-M 2.66GHz laptop that uses a 95W power adapter just fine. All that power that feeds into the laptop eventually ends up as heat (except for the light from the display), and we all know that heat+computers=bad.

Ok i know enough now, i just wanted to be sure :)

You're right about the power consumption, centrino can't be defeated when it comes to that.

check my signature newwink.gif

I can play games like

Battlefield 2 demo

Wolfenstein ET

Gta SA

Act of War: direct action

C&C Generals

Warcraft + TFT

fluently!

Good to here that :D

I'll type this in Dutch because my Englsih is not so good :blushing:

/heb je trouwens wel eens problemen gehad met de laptop? Ik heb even op gathering.tweakers.net net naar een topic gekeken speciaal voor de 1692 en de reacties waren over het algemeen vrij positief. Sommige mensen hadden problemen met de WIFI kaart en de geluidskaart maar dat kwam niet zo vaak voor./

check my signature ;)

I can play games like

Battlefield 2 demo

Wolfenstein ET

Gta SA

Act of War: direct action

C&C Generals

Warcraft  + TFT

fluently!

i can play all of these(havnt tried act of war) with an amd athlon xp mobile 1600, 320m integrated graphics with 63megs of ram, 768 ram. and i can play doom 3 on it but its kind of laggy

for my cooling i am using 2 books under the laptop b/c the intake for the fan is on the bottom, makes no sense.

get a leather carrying case

You're right about the power consumption, centrino can't be defeated when it comes to that.

Good to here that  :D

I'll type this in Dutch because my Englsih is not so good  :blushing:

/heb je trouwens wel eens problemen gehad met de laptop? Ik heb even op gathering.tweakers.net net naar een topic gekeken speciaal voor de 1692 en de reacties waren over het algemeen vrij positief. Sommige mensen hadden problemen met de WIFI kaart en de geluidskaart maar dat kwam niet zo vaak voor./

Ik heb de WIFI kaart uit staan ;)

Je moet de nieuwste drivers voor wifi hebben, die kan je gewoon plukken via intel site.

Ja mensen verwachten qua geluid te veel, er zit gewoon een onboard geluidskaart in. Het geluid is best te doen...

ps: mocht er iets fout gaan, je hebt altijd nog garantie :P

Ja mensen verwachten qua geluid te veel, er zit gewoon een onboard geluidskaart in. Het geluid is best te doen...

ps: mocht er iets fout gaan, je hebt altijd nog garantie :P

Ik heb hem al besteld bij central point :D

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Riiiiiiiight......  :whistle:

Pentium-M pwns all!

If everything goes well i might see how good it is next week :D

If everything goes well i might see how good it is next week  :D

You won't be disappointed. :D

The Pentium-M is based on the PIII core, and it actually does more per clock cycle than the P4 does, AND it stays waaaaay cooler and consumes much less energy (nearly one third less energy, I think, but don't take my word for it...)

Anywho, I love the Pentium-M. If only Intel based their desktop processors off the Pentium-M, they'd be doing much better...