Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

iPod shuffle Trouble

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

gamehead200

gamehead200

SEARCH!!! SEARCH!!!

• Super Moderator
  • 7,039 posts
I own an iPod shuffle and a 3G 20GB iPod. Lately, every time I plug my iPod shuffle into any USB port on my Windows machine, nothing happens. All the shuffle does is blink its green light over and over again and that's it... You can see the occasional orange light, but that's it.

The 20GB iPod, on the other hand, works just fine, as it is plugged into my Firewire port. I also own an Apple iBook G4, so therefore plugged my shuffle into it and it seems to work just fine!!

What can Windows be doing wrong? Every single USB port I use doesn't seem to work... I've uninstalled all the USB ports/drivers/etc and reinstalled them...

Anyone? :} This is really kind of annoying as I have all my music on my Windows machine, and it seems stupid to transfer it all to my iBook when I want to update my shuffle... :wacko:

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

rjz

rjz

• PipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts
When it's in what does device amnager list? Have you tried to uninstall and reinstall the latest drivers? Havee you tried the shuffle in another computer?

gamehead200

gamehead200

SEARCH!!! SEARCH!!!

• Super Moderator
  • 7,039 posts
The device manager never shows it. It never pops up anywhere on this machine. Yes, it works on other machines.

rjz

rjz

• PipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts
What happens if you plug it in and turn the device off and on?

gamehead200

gamehead200

SEARCH!!! SEARCH!!!

• Super Moderator
  • 7,039 posts

What happens if you plug it in and turn the device off and on?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It flashes the green light a few times, but that's it... :wacko:

rjz

rjz

• PipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts
Maybe windows is loading the wrong driver. Open your dm with the device out then pkug it in and see what changes. If nothing does force a refresh.

Have you tried switching the usb 2 ports to 1 and/or reverse. Use the bios to do this.

ripken204

ripken204

The Hardware Guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,311 posts
find some way to reinstall the driver for it

Desktop: || lappped Q6700 w/ lapped TRUE || ASUS P5Q Deluxe|| Sapphire 4870 1GB || Mushkin Ascent XP2-8500 (2x2GB) || 2 x WD6400AAKS || Corsair HX620W || Lian-Li PC-60FB || 2 x BenQ G2400WD || Vista Ultimate 64bit || Samsung SH-S223Q || Logitech MX518 || Logitech Ultra-X || SteelSeries SX || Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 5.1 || ATI TV Wonder 650 PCIe ||
Server: || E5200 w/ XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 || ASUS P5Q-EM || EVGA 8800GTS G92 w/ Accelero S1 R2 || G.SKILL 6400 2x2GB || 1 x WD6400AAKS || 4 x 1TB Samsung F1 || SeaSonic M12II SS-500GM || Antec Three Hundred || Samsung SH-203BL || Ubuntu 8.10 ||

gamehead200

gamehead200

SEARCH!!! SEARCH!!!

• Super Moderator
  • 7,039 posts

Maybe windows is loading the wrong driver. Open your dm with the device out then pkug it in and see what changes. If nothing does force a refresh.

Have you tried switching the usb 2 ports to 1 and/or reverse. Use the bios to do this.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmmm... Interesting... Maybe if I disable them completely?

I'm pretty sure its a driver problem because when I plug my shuffle in then turn on my computer, it charges fine (orange light, on and off), then when Windows loads, it stops... :}

I'll try it tomorrow! ;)

gamehead200

gamehead200

SEARCH!!! SEARCH!!!

• Super Moderator
  • 7,039 posts
OK guys...

http://www.mikesoare...er/DSCN0017.MOV

Sometimes it does that, sometimes it just flashes green.

I've tried everything:

- disabling the USB controllers in the BIOS
- uninstalling/reinstalling iTunes, iPod Software, iPod Updater
- uninstalling/reinstalling USB controllers in Windows
- restarting the computer
- restoring my iPod using my iBook (shuffle formatted FAT32)
- using different USB ports
- etc...

This is really starting to p*** me off... :wacko:

rjz

rjz

• PipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts
Are you pluging that into a hub? If it does list something id device manger click on it to get properties then gpt driver driver details button. If there is special driver files dlete the device entry again and also delete these files. ONly do this if they are special not some kind of other drivers you also use like mass storage.

gamehead200

gamehead200

SEARCH!!! SEARCH!!!

• Super Moderator
  • 7,039 posts
I've plugged it into every hub and USB port I have on my computer... Nothing seems to work... I know its a problem with a driver or a setting, and not the shuffle...

rjz

rjz

• PipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts
After trying the about look at your prgram setting for some kind of device detection. I assume you are using itunes. Have you tried any other storage devices in this computer?

gamehead200

gamehead200

SEARCH!!! SEARCH!!!

• Super Moderator
  • 7,039 posts

After trying the about look at your prgram setting for some kind of device detection. I assume you are using itunes. Have you tried any other storage devices in this computer?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes. I have plugged in my digital cameras and my external hard drive and they all seem to get detected fine.

rjz

rjz

• PipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts
Did you try that 1 susgestion I did above? Have you also checked your usb power properties?

The last thing to do would be remote assistance s=with someone.

gamehead200

gamehead200

SEARCH!!! SEARCH!!!

• Super Moderator
  • 7,039 posts
I reformatted. Everything working as it should now! ;)

rjz

rjz

• PipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts
INteresting. Maybe it was some type of bad wu or something.

mypak

mypak
  • 1 posts
I am having the same problem....I am not as tech savvy as you guys so may need some help in terms of what you exactly did to reformat, etc.

My ipod shuffle works fine at my work. On my laptop at home, it does not even get recognized. I know the ipod works since I've loaded songs onto it from my work computer.

When I plug it into my home laptop, nothing happens, it's as if it is not even connected.

Is it the drivers? apple "support" is clueless and so is toshiba but they did say it could be the driver, bios, etc.

I thought maybe I needed usb 2.0 so I bought a usb 2.0 pc card but when I plug it in there the ipod just flashes green....

I know the usb ports work b/c I've plugged in my cordless mouse sensor in it, etc.

anyone have any idea? this is soooo frustrating!

thanks in advance....

Edited by mypak, 27 March 2006 - 07:53 PM.

Stead

Stead

• PipPip
  • 184 posts
haven't really got any advice on this, but i was working on a electrical desk a couple of months ago, and this was quite a common problem, all we did was replace them with a new shuffle, sometimes they do that sometimes they don't :blink: just so you know, its not just happing to the odd one or to, it seems to be a common problem! although now its been mentioned that it works fine on the apple computer...can't help but wonder about apples products! we never had one returned ware the customer had a mac...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN