XP As A Server!

DeTaiLeD

Hello MSFN team,

I have 2 questions.

1. I'd like to know if itis possible to Turn Off XP automatically and boot it at certain times. If so how? Through Task manager or is the only possible way through BioS. If through bios could i get a few pointers?

2. I'd like to have a Administrator account AND a normal user account. But i want the normal user account to automatically boot, (so no click on login)

The reason I want to do this is because i run a server on the machine, and the power is not on 24/7 :|

Also I run the server on remote admin, but the remote admin starts up soon as u login as a user, so before that happens no remote admin is possible :S

Thats pretty neat! Thx a lot! :)

Now I only need to find out how to have an administrator account and a normal user account with restricted permissions that automatically boots on start up!

• 1 month later...

Do you mean "automatically boots" or "automatically logs in"?

Try the Computer Management control panel to find out about automatically logging a user in after the machine has booted. There's a problem with your C:\boot.ini file if your machine doesn't automatically boot when it starts up.

Anyway, why does the computer have to have someone locally logged into it to allow someone else to remotely administer it? This seems like a bit of a design flaw. Don't you get tools with your OS to allow remote administration, without requiring someone to be locally logged in? I have a telnet server and a decent shell running on my XP machine here (behind a firewall, before anyone starts talking about how insecure that is ;-). I can do any administration I've ever needed (apart from changing registry settings) using that. I would actually be surprised if there's no way to edit the registry that way too.

I havent personally used Windows Server 2003 but ive heard awesome things about it, id recommend ordering an evaluation cd from MS (or get it by your own means) and give it a whirl.