Decoding Microsoft keys

IcemanND

I believe I have figured out part of the problem on Vista. It has to do with registry virtualization. So far, I haven't had any luck getting around it, but I'm using Perl. I bet if you're using C++ or something like that, there will be a better supported way around it. Right now, I can see the key and confirm that it will decode when I export it using the "reg" command. This is the "DigitalProductId" field. The ID4 has nothing to do with it.

I hope this helps, and if anyone gets around it, please let us know!

so if you export HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion which contains the DigitalProductID field it will decode it from the REG file, but it won't decode it when you do the standard decode?

that will be a pain.

Yeah, you can export it using regedit, and even the command line 'reg' command, but as of right now I can't figure out how to get my scripts to access it. The decoding procedure works fine, it's just getting the code out of the registry that's the problem.

Well what is strange is that my code reads that key directly, so if it can decode the REG file it it should be able to decode the key when it reads it from the registry.

Guess I'm going to have to break down and install Vista on a a machine to play. :( Hopefully I can find 64-bit machine to play with too.

@ Stoic Joker- which version of key decoder did you use?

The "Original" (LM only) version that was on page one of the thread that day (on XP). I'm running Vista x64 Business Edition here in my home office, and am getting the following error when trying to run Key Decoder:

Component 'comdlg32.ocx' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid.

Note: All my dialogs Common and otherwise are running fine ... so I'm guessing it's the proggie. ;)

(But Seriously...) I don't recall if it was the header file (.h), the library file (.lib) or both that have/require updated versions to resolve the error (in C++), but I've run into it before.

Here's the solution to the vista 64 bit issue. The registry is being virtualized, so you can't get at the key from your program, because it's a 32bit program. You need to tell RegOpenEx that you don't want the virtualization. I have now got it working in my program. You can find more information here:

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa384129.aspx

And do a search for registry virtualization to get the rest of the context.

• 2 months later...

Ok, I will probably sound stupid for this but I can't figure out what to put in the "Active Directory Location to Search". I have an OU called Computers right under the DUMMY.LAN domain. I thought I would have to put LDAP://OU=Computers,DC=DUMMY,DC=LAN but I get and error saying Critical Error: -2147217865 Table doesn't exist. Can somenone enlighten me?

Thank you

It should be a matter of entering the proper LDAP path and having rights to the machines in the path. If you are using the command line switches you might try enclosing the path in quotes though it should not be required. If you are doing it from the settings menu it won't matter.

Are you running it from a machine which is a member of the domain? Not necessarily the desire OU but a domain member.

You were right I had an error in my LDAP path.

Thank you

It should be a matter of entering the proper LDAP path and having rights to the machines in the path. If you are using the command line switches you might try enclosing the path in quotes though it should not be required. If you are doing it from the settings menu it won't matter.

Are you running it from a machine which is a member of the domain? Not necessarily the desire OU but a domain member.

• 1 month later...

With regards to Office 2000,

Produkey only finds the Product ID not the install key.

Going further, when you update Office 2000 either with a patch or via Office update you always have to insert the Office 2000 CD. This suggests to me that the Product ID is being decoded back to a code present on the CD and maybe to another registry entry.

Hope this maybe useful.

This system is Win 2k with Office 2k Pro

With regards to Office 2000,

Produkey only finds the Product ID not the install key.

Going further, when you update Office 2000 either with a patch or via Office update you always have to insert the Office 2000 CD. This suggests to me that the Product ID is being decoded back to a code present on the CD and maybe to another registry entry.

Hope this maybe useful.

This system is Win 2k with Office 2k Pro

Office goes back to the CD because it has to get the original dll files and such when applying the patch. It doesn't check codes. There is nothing on the CD specific to your key code, because there's no way they could mass produce each CD with a different code on it.

• 2 months later...