benefits of nLite

Davor

Hello

Can anyone enlighten me with real benefits of nLite. I am rather sceptic about it.

Besides installing/uninstalling components you like/want (as far as you can see the point in that :blink: ) is there anything else? I can't seem to get the point?

Greets

Davor

nLite Features

- Service Pack Integration

- Component Removal

- Unattended Setup

- Driver Integration *

- Hotfixes Integration **

- Tweaks

- Patches ***

- Bootable ISO creation

* - Textmode (CD Boot) and normal PnP

** - only new type 1 hotfixes (for example XP post SP2)

***- supports generic SFC, Uxtheme, TcpIp and Usb Polling patching.

So far it supports Windows 2000, XP x86/x64 and 2003 x86 all languages. Windows Vista will be supported as well.

SP integration ... eum, that no benefit, -> you don't need a program for that.

Component removal ... eum, most components are already available for removal. I don't see any point in removing 'standard" software as it only leads to problems because som programs are linked (example outlook express/MSN4). Anyhow, maybe nice for someone who want's a highly personalized computer?

Unattended setup ... eum, look in deploy.cab or something like that. it's contains a wizard for unatended setup. Also some pre-deployment tools like factory.exe

Driver integration... well, also posible manualy and maybe more timeconsuming.

Hotfixes integrtions .. same as for SP's.

Tweaks...kinda?

Pathces... i rather cal those hacks ;)

Botable ISO creation ... eum, anyone has a image burning wizard (nero/...) . Take bootimage from any bootable wincd, no emulation,boot 4 secotrs and burn... there it is.

Most the thing you get you already have on your system... so whats the point? Maybe it's yust me: can't stand to have 5 programs that do the same.

Greets

Davor

Edited by Davor

:hello: the benifits of nlite you say all the above reasons. example just 2day i nlited i sound like a junkie iam a nlite junkie lol ,i mase my 10th nlited cd why 10 trail and errors anyhow i stripped the hell out it and iso burn and it installed from start to finish clean formatted install only 10 minutes increbiable.if u remember 98lite quite a craze then fast forward to 2005 nlite enuff said.

No, i never used nLite. Reason why i begun with this topic is because i see so many people here mentioning nLite in their posts. So i wanted to see what it was. And to my dissapointment i don't see it so shiny as most of the people here. All i see is a costomization program that add's nothing, but all it takes is your time to remove the stuff you apparently don't need from the original and so to customize your system.

my experience with windows is: if you don't understand it, don't touch it. and the fact is, there is no-one who understands all the differents asspects of an OS these days. XP is made as a whole, and the fact that you don't have the possibility/option to remove someting has it's own reasons that sometimes go beyond the monopoly of MS. In other words, customizing the system that isn't opensource seems to me like asking for extra trouble.

Ah well, don't mind me.

Greets

Davor

I've never used nLite myself as I like to do things on my own. But from the screenshots, what I can tell is that nLite is a user-friendly interface for beginners that would prefer not to sift through craploads of documentation just to get things right.

It allows for the beginner or even intermediate and advanced users to use just one program, to learn just one program, and to do pretty much everything that they can do with Windows XP with just one program.

wow davor, so you are saying that getting rid of something in windows that you dont want is in some way illegal because that is what is sound like? we all use nlite mainy for getting rid of what we dont want so that our windows runs faster, installs faster, and takes up less space. if you dont want to use it then stop complaining and dont use it. if your other methods work fine for you then just use them.

no ripken204. I never used word 'illegal'. Your twisting my words. The whole point in "getting rid of stuff" (what i was saying in previous post) is dangerous because, in 95% of the cases, you don't know exactly enough what you are "getting rid of".

You'r system will probably take less space, install faster, wil run 'faster' :blink:, but in despite of what?-> you don't know for 100% sure. Also, what you don't consider as a vital service now, doesn't mean you won't need it tomorrow.

No, i am not complaining, i started this thread in expectation for someone to enlighten me. So far, only Asin contributed to that part a bit.

One of the advantages of starting out here @ MSFN and learning the basics of making an

unattended CD\DVD, is when a program such as nLite comes along and makes that whole

process so much easier and faster..........one really appreciates it.......the other advantages for

me are faster install, and faster OS, using fewer resources.........thanks to all those who make

it easier, faster, prettier for me........

Nuhi

vcBlackbox

Gnome\Boooggy

Fritz_Saxi

Bryanh

RyanVM

Biohazard

Xpero

Mhz

Team WPI

LaptoniC

diesel__98a

Mike__Wilson

maxXPsoft

jdoe - I just love CAB Tools for SendTo folder (fast expand and makecab)

these are just a few of the members that write great programs or batch files or what ever, but it all helps.............thanks all of you

BD B)

Edited by bonedaddy

Dear Davor,

Are you an administrator? Do you deal with tens of new pc's to be installed every day? Do you consume lots of time with installing favorite applications, device drivers to a newly instaled windows?Are you planning to sell your costum pc's with your custom Windows to express people with it's ease? Do you help your friends with their crashed Windows? Do you have a low specific pc with 128 mb ram, 4 gb HDD, celeron 400-500???

If not, nLite is not for you!

nLite is not for home users...It just simplifies all the job for administrators/computer sellers. For each set of (100-200) pc's, nLited windows setup is miracle...

You should not be understanding this concept...

I personally don't use nLite anymore but I know this:

1. It can help you to minimize your footprint...(good if you have a old laptop with only 2Gb harddrive for ex.)

2. It can help you to cut down on boottime..(less stuff to parse and start)

3. You can "design" a install disk for a specific purpose...I have a minimalistic 210mb 8cm disk in my chestpocket that has the tools and bare essentials that I use when checking out new computers..(read old laptops)...it installs in 6-8 min depending on hardware....if you calculate the time I cut everytime I'm making big bucks..! :lol:

Bottom line is: XP or any Operativ System isn't a live creature or something to "be cautious" with...it's a engineered product like anything else, that can be plucked down to pieces with only your skill, knowledge and persistence stopping you....then put together in any configuration and for any function you desire. It is not "alive". Sometimes it seems like ppl have the strangest relation to this, "protecting" files and batches that are based on already invented components and configuratons like it is their GF or pet or something. :blink:

EDIT: heh, that last sentence came out funny...girls and pets..no pun intended girls. :)

Edited by Clint

Hello

agonified, if I have tons of pc's, I don't think about 'installing' but about 'ghosting/imaging'. Booting up, extracting image from the server is done in a few minutes. Win PE environment offers all you need, imaging programs you can download.

I only see it VERY useful for special installations for low spec 'computer-like' hardware. But for things like that i rather go with open source software (linux,...)

As for Clint, i agree with you if you say

"Operativ System isn't a live creature or something to "be cautious" with...it's a engineered product like anything else, that can be plucked down to pieces with only your skill, knowledge and persistence stopping you"
--> but thats only REALY true for open source programs. With windows, you are limited to only 'components' and tons of reference books, no code. So basicly: you delete something, you'r left with trial/error if something doesn't work as expected, and looking into the roots of a problem, with even an unmodified windows, can be very time-consuming.

Greets

Davor