Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Force Windows Update

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Nick2588

Nick2588

• 39 posts
How can I force the Windows Update application to check for updates and download them? I want the little yellow sheild to appear in the system tray and tell me "There are updates that have been downloaded and are ready to install" or whatever it says.

In other words, I want to simulate whatever happens at 3:00 AM every day (well, that's the default time). I'm guessing I need to send the right switch to wuauclt.exe?

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Hatefulsorrow

Hatefulsorrow

Insomniac!

• PipPip
  • 120 posts
why not just set the install time to like 5 minutes ahead of now. Then you'll see what you want to.
Time is but an echo in a pool of clutered thought.

Nick2588

Nick2588

• 39 posts
Hmm, well, I guess that would be better than nothing. How do I automatically change that setting?

And on the same note, how do I change the behavior of Windows Update? How do I choose "download and prompt me to install" instead of "download and install automatically"?

Edited by Nick2588, 05 September 2005 - 09:16 PM.

Bilou_Gateux

Bilou_Gateux

Powered by Windows Embedded

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts
:: stop Automatic Update service

NET STOP WUAUSERV

:: Reset to force client to perform a detection cycle

REG DELETE "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update" /v LastWaitTimeout /f

:: start Automatic Update service

NEt START WUAUSERV

OS Version = 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3
Platform ID = 2 (NT)
Service Pack = 3.0
Suite = 0x0140
Product Type = 1
Architecture = x86

Sonic

Sonic

Sonic

• Patrons
  • 1,603 posts
For prompt before downloading :
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update]
"AUOptions"=dword:00000002

druiddk

druiddk

• PipPip
  • 204 posts
@Bilou_Gateux:

Thank you for this script :)
Please rate my post :)

Phyridean

Phyridean

Complacently Indifferent

• PipPip
  • 243 posts
wuauclt /detectnow

is the microsoft supported one.
-Phyridean
|:|Athlon 64 X2 4200+|:|2 GB DDR2 800|:|ATI X1950 Pro|:|250 GB SATA+250GB PATA+120GB PATA|:|16x DVDRW|:|52x32x52 CDRW|:|
"I suppose that it's not so much that linux is more secure, but that linux tends to draw secure people." -Seeker

Takeshi

Takeshi

Legitchecking...

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts
On a related note, there's a wuauclt1.exe too but the date is July 2004, before SP2. What is it for?

druiddk

druiddk

• PipPip
  • 204 posts
@Takeshi

The file wuauclt1.exe is part of the "Background Intelligent Transfer Service". It retrieves Critical Updates for Windows and shows up on the task manager process list when its waiting for confirmation - for example to confirm permission to download a file.

Info found at Security Task Manager
Please rate my post :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN