Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

What Virtual machine do you use?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

Poll: What Virtual machine do you use? (105 member(s) have cast votes)

What Virtual machine do you use?

1. Vmware (63 votes [60.58%])

Percentage of vote: 60.58%

2. Microsoft Virtual PC (29 votes [27.88%])

Percentage of vote: 27.88%

3. I don't use them, I test everything on my poor computer (10 votes [9.62%])

Percentage of vote: 9.62%

4. I don't know what virtual machines are (2 votes [1.92%])

Percentage of vote: 1.92%

Vote Guests cannot vote

sadicq

sadicq

noob

• PipPip
  • 273 posts
Hm... I just wanted to know what you guys are using atm.
I definately go for Vmware, since I believe Virtual PC is crap (although I have to use it sometimes) :wacko:
If your option is not listed (maybe a new program or one I never heard about), post here and I will be happy to try it too.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better id***-proof programs, and the universe trying to build bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning...

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

yoz7120

yoz7120

Junior

• Pip
  • 66 posts
VMware for me

wizardofwindows

wizardofwindows

Wizard of Windows

• PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
:) i use them both i find virtual pc is better for audio and vmware for networking but id have 2 give the edge to vmware myself.

sadicq

sadicq

noob

• PipPip
  • 273 posts
yeah, the audio is better in vpc, but it has such a lack of options ....
I mean I want a snapshot option in vpc :angry: ! and of course vmware is easier to use. at least that is what is think.

Edited by sadicq, 14 September 2005 - 09:01 AM.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better id***-proof programs, and the universe trying to build bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning...

Zxian

Zxian

Scroll up - see the Google bar?

• Super Moderator
  • 5,066 posts
VMware... I don't really care about the audio in my virtual machine... not to mention the fact that VMWare gives far better speed than VPC.

Linux support for VPC is pretty bad as well...

At0mic

At0mic

Enthusiast

• PipPip
  • 288 posts
I'm supprised no one so far is using QEMU + QGui seeing as its free. I dont know how good it is. I would give it a try but I already have Virtual PC.

I want a snapshot option in vpc

Personally, I just make a copy of the VHD and VMC files. Then I have a copy of the OS in its current state.

Edited by At0mic, 14 September 2005 - 12:12 PM.

You can enter max 4 lines of text in signature or signature image.

sadicq

sadicq

noob

• PipPip
  • 273 posts
Thanks for the hint about the "snapshot". Never thought about that 'cause I use VPC just once in a while. But there are many more things that MS should fix at VPC (hmm.. my processor at 100%, that doesn't happen with Vmware).

ringfinger

ringfinger

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
My vote is for VMware as well. I'm with Zxian, don't really need audio within VMware myself. I think it has many great options and is good for networking.

AF Delta

AF Delta
  • 9 posts
Virtual Server 2005 for me.

Gouki

Gouki

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts
VMware ... Way faster than VPC

oldwolf

oldwolf

Wolf

• PipPip
  • 155 posts
I just use my comp. If I dont want to damage anything I just slot in another drive.
I got 2x80gb 1x160gb 1x60gb all in removable racks. If I stuff something up I just reinstall the OS and do it differently. I just couldnt be bothered with virtual machines, prefer having everything run at full speed.
Also this way I can run Linux, (whatever flavour I like), win98, winxp, or anything else that I decide I want to try this week. :P :D
And the chorus heard was that of beasts,
Over the hushed calm of winter echoed the wolfsong.

Jeremy

Jeremy

Casual Poster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,473 posts
VMWare

Ninho

Ninho

• PipPip
  • 166 posts
VMware is more potent, esp. for the networking options, USB support, and installing Linux in VMs;
I've run VMware both in windows and Linux hosts and fully satisfied.

Recently though, I started using also VPC in order to run their windows XP-SP2-with-IE7 free from MSDN (time bombed demo, but for me a way to explore Windows XP). I'm not displeased with it, but it's not on par with VMware.

FWIW, cheers

--
Ninho

edit: now seing this poll is very old. Sorry, or rather, not, for resurrecting it. If others want to take the poll we'll see how VPC is doing vs. VMware in these days...

Edited by Ninho, 11 June 2008 - 02:27 PM.

Kindovic

Kindovic

• PipPip
  • 126 posts
anyone tried virtualbox??

Idontwantspam

Idontwantspam

Nerd-in-Chief

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts
I use MS Virtual PC because that's what I used first, so all my disk images are in that format, it's free, and MS sometimes has disk images available for download, which are always Virtual PC format.

I've used VirtualBox and in some ways it's better than VPC, but I avoid it generally due to some bad experiences in the past that have since been fixed, I've just never felt like I needed to use it. When I need linux VM's I use it since VPC fails at linux.
-Idontwantspam

What's your home network like?
Windows 7: It does fancy!

Buster67

Buster67

• 38 posts
VMware for me
Signature removed, please read the rules: No animated images, not above 300*100 pix.

CoffeeFiend

CoffeeFiend

Coffee Aficionado

• Super Moderator
  • 5,399 posts
Another long running poll I see.

VMware for me, because:
  • It's reliable and time-tested (mature), and still fast & easy
  • You have a full-featured desktop app for those with more complex needs, and it just keeps getting better and better: ACE, VDI, record/replay debugging, etc
  • You have the freeware player
  • You have a free version for servers (also works fine for "standard" needs on a workstation)
  • You have an upgrade path to a high-end server product (ESX/ESXi)
  • Lots of extremely powerful & useful features on the server products, such as VMotion
  • Large set of different management tools for different needs -- they're good too
  • It runs on different platforms and also accepts mostly anything as a guest OS
  • There's loads of pre-built appliances for it
  • Advanced networking: multiple virtual NICs per guest, multiple virtual switches, VLANs, etc, using one or more physical NICs/ports
  • All the other and extremely useful apps that one uses with it, like P2V and the Converter
  • The powerful scripting APIs: VmPerl (using perl) and VmCOM (using any language that supports COM objects -- VBScript, JScript, C++, C#, VB.NET, Java, etc) & VIX
  • The incredibly cool Visual Studio addon (debug your processes running inside a VM!) and so many other perks for programmers
  • The new and amazing VI toolkit, that lets you use PowerShell to do anything with your VMs
  • The various SDKs supplementing the scripting APIs
  • Support for a good range of hardware, like USB devices and smardcard readers in guest OS'es, plus 3D acceleration and such
  • Solid drivers for the guest OS'es (and not just for windows either)
  • Great documentation
  • Support forums, blogs, sites, books written about it, support contracts if you need it, etc.
  • Doesn't require you to rush out to buy Win2008 licenses + CALs and all that expensive stuff to use (unlike Hyper V) -- it'll even run on a free OS!
And that's just off the top of my head...

Nothing comes even close. It's light-years ahead of the rest.

Edited by crahak, 11 July 2008 - 11:16 AM.

Coffee: \ˈkȯ-fē, ˈkä-\. noun. Heaven in a cup. Life's only treasure. The meaning of life. Kaffee ist wunderbar. C8H10N4O2 FTW.

spacesurfer

spacesurfer

Pharmassist

• Patrons
  • 1,668 posts
Virtual PC on my desktop - it's free. I don't need USB supports, although it would be nice; and yes, just create a copy of the VHD and you got yourself a snapshot. also, you can open vhd with winimage or a similar program in case you need to access files offline. networking is simple in my opinion on vpc. to minimize vhd size, you could use ghost it, restore it, then make copy before running the machine so that it doesn't create a huge pagefile.

i use vbox on my laptop. it's allright. supports usb. networking was hard to setup as i use wireless. only thing is i can't access the hard drive files offline like vpc hard drives files.

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L, Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 2.33 GHz, ASUS Radeon EAH3450 256 MB, 6 GB Corsair RAM, Maxtor 300 GB + Seagate 400 GB HDDs, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
IBM T42 Intel Pentium M 1.7 GHz, 1.5 GB RAM, Radeon Mobility 7500, 160 GB HDD, Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit

jftuga

jftuga

• PipPip
  • 283 posts
crahak,

Very nice list!

We use VMWare Server (on top of 2003) to host 5 guest Win2003/2000 server OSs. We will be migrating to ESX 3.5 very soon.

-John

CoffeeFiend

CoffeeFiend

Coffee Aficionado

• Super Moderator
  • 5,399 posts

crahak,

Very nice list!

Thanks! One could probably add LOTS more stuff to it.

Virtual PC on my desktop - it's free.

VMware Server is free too (and a FAR better product IMO). You don't have to make use of the server features (like starting VMs as a service) to use it.

just create a copy of the VHD and you got yourself a snapshot

That's not what snapshots are at all! This is extremely wasteful at best. When you use snapshots, it only stores the differences from that point (in a different file). You can even make snapshots from an existing snapshot (stores only the differences since that one). It's extremely useful for many purposes (repackaging apps, testing apps/patches, etc). I sure wouldn't want to be using various snapshots on different VMs this way (copying the whole multi-GB virtual disk) when testing something, I'd quickly be wasting hundreds of GBs (and wasting time copying huge files too).

you can open vhd with winimage or a similar program in case you need to access files offline

Hardly a new/special/exclusive feature. You can mount vdmk images using DiskMount (vmware-mount.exe) for free, no need to buy things like winimage or such. And it's not windows-only either! Comes with full documentation too. And there's even several front ends for it (in case "vmware-mount x: somefile.vdmk" is too scary) and loads of other such utilities.

Again, nothing comes even close to VMware in terms of features.

Edited by crahak, 11 July 2008 - 05:13 PM.

Coffee: \ˈkȯ-fē, ˈkä-\. noun. Heaven in a cup. Life's only treasure. The meaning of life. Kaffee ist wunderbar. C8H10N4O2 FTW.

spacesurfer

spacesurfer

Pharmassist

• Patrons
  • 1,668 posts

VMware Server is free too

I think it's also larger. I tend to go for installs that are small. And the price is functionality but that I can sacrifice.

That's not what snapshots are at all! This is extremely wasteful at best.

Perhaps if you make a lot of changes you may need incremental snapshots as you describe them. I'm a home user and my virt machine hardly changes much so one backup suffices for me.

Hardly a new/special/exclusive feature. You can mount vdmk images using DiskMount (vmware-mount.exe) for free, ...

Never said it was new/special/exclusive feature. As a matter of fact, I hardly ever access my virtual drive offline. Was just mentioning it's possible.

Again, nothing comes even close to VMware in terms of features.

Okay, okay man. I'm not arguing that VPC is great and better than VMWare. All I'm saying is it meets my needs. Calm down. We're just sharing what virtual machine we use; not arguing about which one is best.

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L, Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 2.33 GHz, ASUS Radeon EAH3450 256 MB, 6 GB Corsair RAM, Maxtor 300 GB + Seagate 400 GB HDDs, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
IBM T42 Intel Pentium M 1.7 GHz, 1.5 GB RAM, Radeon Mobility 7500, 160 GB HDD, Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit

Ninho

Ninho

• PipPip
  • 166 posts
Good! Looks like we are a plethora of virtualisation adepts with differing scope and needs here.

One plus point of VMware which has not been mentioned yet is the ability to run an installed OS from a physical hard disk (not for the faint of heart but so cool!) Not possible or at least not documented with MS VPC far as I know.

Now I think I'll ask a question : among the virtual machine software products, is there a (free) one that will run on g'd old Windows 9x ? I know the old versions of Connectix VPC used to, but they are not free. Oh, I should add the product should not make use of hardware virtualisation facilities (IA or AMD64)...

Cheers,

CoffeeFiend

CoffeeFiend

Coffee Aficionado

• Super Moderator
  • 5,399 posts
Talking about mounting disk images, VMware just released their VDDK -- Virtual Disk Development Kit (again, with full docs and all). Should come in handy!

And seemingly MS is back to the old lying to make their sub-par virtualization products look good, namely by using SSDs to make I/O speed look good with Hyper-V (and using stupid small block sizes too), drastically inflating their apparent performance (until you read the fine print). They're WAY behind in performance & features, and way more expensive too (why am I not even surprised?): $495 for ESXi (total cost, for a better product), or $999 for Win 2008 standard with Hyper-V plus an extra $140/every 5 users for extra CALs (only 5 included) e.g. $700 more if you need 25 extra CALs (nevermind the ESXi box can likely handle twice as many VMs too)

Edited by crahak, 12 July 2008 - 09:02 PM.

Dblake1

Dblake1

Gamer/Programmer

• PipPip
  • 119 posts
what about Sun xVM VirtualBox? its pretty good, and it offers an open-source version :)
Windows 95: n. 32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor, written by a 2 bit company, that can't stand 1 bit of competition.

Nerwin

Nerwin

Photographer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,827 posts
Vmware & VirtualBox All the way!

Desktop: Intel Core i5-3570K @ 3.8ghz || G. Skill Ripjaws 8GB DDR3 2133 || ASUS P8Z77-V LK || 128GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD || 640gb WD SATA HDD || Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO || Corsair TX650M || ASUS 24X SATA DVD Burner || Fractal Designs Arc Midi || Windows 7 64-bit 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN