Repair scratched CD

FaceMouth

Zxian Posted Yesterday, 03:07 PM

QUOTE(FaceMouth @ Oct 23 2005, 06:22 AM)

Now we can argue whether breath or alcohol will break down the cd faster since saliva is intended to help break down food would it be worse than alcohol on a cd?

I never said I spit on my CDs... It's mostly just water vapour that then condenses on the CD.

I know you menat you were not spitting on them. the vapor that comes out of people's mouths is not water. Even if it s water, would the minerals that are found in water. Depending on where a person lives determines how much and what type of minerals are in the water. Even with a water filter there are still some minerals.

Alcohol on the other hand does not have any minerals, so it is not as abrasive as water (of course I am referring to 99% alcohol). The problem with alcohol is that it's chemcal quality takes off some the coating on the disk.

:D (one of these days I'll figure out how to quote correctly)

Edited by FaceMouth

Alcohol on the other hand does not have any minerals, so it is not as abrasive as water (of course I am referring to 99% alcohol). The problem with alcohol is that it's chemcal quality takes off some the coating on the disk.

If you drink three or four glasses of Absolute vodka BEFORE trying polishing a CD the whatever is in your mouth will be VERY like Alcohol, .....but you would probably lose interest in the actual CD polishing....

:thumbup

jaclaz

• 2 weeks later...
Did you floss after :)

LMAO :lol:

I know you menat you were not spitting on them. the vapor that comes out of people's mouths is not water. Even if it s water, would the minerals that are found in water. Depending on where a person lives determines how much and what type of minerals are in the water. Even with a water filter there are still some minerals.

Try distilled water ;)

I would not recomend using gel toothpaste! The abbrasive in it is much coarser than in regular toothpaste.

Breathing on a disc deposits halitosis and water (in a small quantity). The amount of water shouldn't do any damage but the halitosis could peel the information layer off. Check first by breathing on wallpaper. If it peels, then use the toothpaste, gel or regular, on your teeth. Then breath on the disk.

DL

All kidding aside I find that car polish will get the job done so you can make a copy.

If you drink three or four glasses of Absolute vodka BEFORE trying polishing a CD the whatever is in your mouth will be VERY like Alcohol, .....but you would probably lose interest in the actual CD polishing....

jaclaz

I tried this. Well I didnt even care about the cd LOL

Edited by dirtwarrior

All kidding aside I find that car polish will get the job done so you can make a copy.

jaclaz

I tried this. Well I didnt even care about the cd LOL

LMFAO :lol::lol::lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Be careful with extremely badly scratched discs, as in the high speed of rotation of most drives today (7000+ RPM) deep scratches can cause stress cracks and cause the disk to shatter under the force of the rotation.