Repair scratched CD

FaceMouth

• 4 months later...

Well, haven't been here in forever, so I figured since this is one of my first posts, it would be fitting to add a new reply here. I have 2 new methods for repair (untested). First one is furniture polish, such as Pledge. The second is to use floor wax which is supposed to actually resurface (or fill in cracks) on the disk. Again I have not tried these, so it's at the users risk. good to be back, hopefully I won't drift away again for several months.

• 3 months later...
There is also a "last resort" technique, really only useful to salvage data from a badly scratched CD, that will be thrown away afterwards.

The real problem with scratches is the "sides" of them that "confuse" the reader, by polishng as detailed above, you flatten the scratch, but sometimes the scratch is so deep that it is impossible to do that, so there is this other way, FILL the scratch with a transparent material.

Two candidates:

1) Car WAX

2) Car glass (windshield) silicon/teflon based spray coating

Of course you need to WAIT until the product has completely dried off, BEFORE polishing the CD with a cloth and insering it in the drive.

jaclaz

thnx man.... gr8 tip.....really saved a several cds i was gonna throw..... :thumbup

• 3 weeks later...