• Announcements

• xper

MSFN Sponsorship and AdBlockers!   07/10/2016

Dear members, MSFN is made available via subscriptions, donations and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, become a site sponsor and ads will be disabled automatically and by subscribing you get other sponsor benefits.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gamehead200

USB Hard Drive

7 posts in this topic

If I were to take one of these and stick a hard drive into it, would I be able to install an OS on it? Just wondering how to do this, cuz if I open my case, it'll void the warranty...

cuz if I open my case, it'll void the warranty...

rofl, should have built it yourself.. saves money, looks better, have better quality

And I think it'll be able to install it.. should be in it's manual.. during the first setup screen of xp I think you can hit one of the options like RAID/SCSI controllers.. then it'll ask you for the driver disk..

yeah i got one of those it works good....although the price they got there is twice as much as i paid for it.

Yea that should work fine, but you wanna make sure that Your Mobo bios is capable of booting from a USB device. IT will either say USB or other, but make sure that its a possibility...

=Drew

Wouldn't I just be able to put something like G:\WINDOWS in the boot.ini file or something so that it boots from the USB, or would it just not work...

This is my mobo: Asus P4PE-L i845 s478 533FSB

BTW, if I have two partitions which are both on my main drive, can I merge them with Partition Magic and not lose any information? One is my C: drive and the other is my E: drive...Is there a tutorial I can follow so that I don't screw anything up?

//edit: w00t w00t , just called the guy from the store I bought the PC from...He said that if I wanted to open the case and add something, all I had to do was advise them about it...

GameHead Go into your bios and see if you can boot from your usb...thats all you need to do to make sure its capable.

=Drew

I've decided I'll just stick in the Hard Drive by opening the case...It doesn't void the warranty after all...