Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

USB Hard Drive

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

gamehead200

gamehead200

SEARCH!!! SEARCH!!!

• Super Moderator
  • 7,039 posts
  • Joined 02-September 02
If I were to take one of these and stick a hard drive into it, would I be able to install an OS on it? Just wondering how to do this, cuz if I open my case, it'll void the warranty...

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

ThA_FiLeR

ThA_FiLeR

--IM OUT

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • Joined 24-August 01

cuz if I open my case, it'll void the warranty...

rofl, should have built it yourself.. saves money, looks better, have better quality

And I think it'll be able to install it.. should be in it's manual.. during the first setup screen of xp I think you can hit one of the options like RAID/SCSI controllers.. then it'll ask you for the driver disk..
Removed by admin - Read Forum Rules

--IM OUT

techguy21801

techguy21801

• PipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts
  • Joined 16-December 02
yeah i got one of those it works good....although the price they got there is twice as much as i paid for it.
I don't suffer from Insanity...I enjoy every minute of it.

Drewdatrip

Drewdatrip

MSFN Junkie

• Patrons
  • 2,185 posts
  • Joined 14-October 01
Yea that should work fine, but you wanna make sure that Your Mobo bios is capable of booting from a USB device. IT will either say USB or other, but make sure that its a possibility...

=Drew
||Please Read the Forum Rules||
||Free File and Image Hosting @ EazyShare||
||Donate to MSFN and Help Keep This Site Running||
||Vote for MSFN @ TweakXP Windows XP Top Sites||

gamehead200

gamehead200

SEARCH!!! SEARCH!!!

• Super Moderator
  • 7,039 posts
  • Joined 02-September 02
Wouldn't I just be able to put something like G:\WINDOWS in the boot.ini file or something so that it boots from the USB, or would it just not work...

This is my mobo: Asus P4PE-L i845 s478 533FSB

BTW, if I have two partitions which are both on my main drive, can I merge them with Partition Magic and not lose any information? One is my C: drive and the other is my E: drive...Is there a tutorial I can follow so that I don't screw anything up?

//edit: w00t w00t , just called the guy from the store I bought the PC from...He said that if I wanted to open the case and add something, all I had to do was advise them about it...

Drewdatrip

Drewdatrip

MSFN Junkie

• Patrons
  • 2,185 posts
  • Joined 14-October 01
GameHead Go into your bios and see if you can boot from your usb...thats all you need to do to make sure its capable.

=Drew
||Please Read the Forum Rules||
||Free File and Image Hosting @ EazyShare||
||Donate to MSFN and Help Keep This Site Running||
||Vote for MSFN @ TweakXP Windows XP Top Sites||

gamehead200

gamehead200

SEARCH!!! SEARCH!!!

• Super Moderator
  • 7,039 posts
  • Joined 02-September 02
I've decided I'll just stick in the Hard Drive by opening the case...It doesn't void the warranty after all...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users