MSFN Origins

BlueMe

• 11 years later...
3 hours ago, dencorso said:

A decade ago? You've joined on 2013... were yuo lurking around since 2007???  :unsure:

No I was lurking around the internet since 1991 on Lynx.  I needed some Fatality codes.  But if you want to call pre internet or www it was mainly on BBSs and I was a Sysop which predates these forums.  If you were referring to the posting about some website I saw about booting 98SE off a Ramdrive it was not from MSFN and I don't think I even knew about MSFN or that it interested me in 2002 which looks like around the earliest time frame forums starting popping up that I could find listed.  I was probably still running 98SE in 2002 and never had issues with too much RAM or did my tweak to max out the memory.

Since you are from Brazil was a BBS a huge thing at all down there?  Ever try FidoNet?

Edited by 98SE

2 hours ago, dencorso said:

Sure! MSFN's incept date is Aug 2001. I began networking on BITNET, back in '89. I've lurked about two years before joining MSFN.

Where did you find the incept date for MSFN?  I had to do a hard advanced search for forum date first entry.  I figured the 9X would be one of the earliest forums guess it was close.

I had to telnet to a University server and borrow a student's account since I wasn't a student there but years later I did become one and used Unix commands to access primitive internet.  Gopher, Pine, Lynx, Ytalk, and UseNet were some of the old gotos.  The good thing was it was similar to DOS so it was a natural acclimation going from one CLI to another.  Ever heard of The Spot?

Since you are from Brazil was a BBS a big thing down there?  Ever heard of FidoNet?

Edited by 98SE

Well, @xper is the owner and 1st member of MSFN, so that http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showuser=1 does provide the incept time, from his joining date. :)
There was one big BBS in Brazil, called Mandix. But I got my 1st access when the University I studied in got BITNET, then I moved on to internet, when it arrived here (early 1991). I used PINE for a real long time, before moving on to web-mail, and I used to hang around various groups on the usenet. I heard about FidoNet and compuserve, but not about The Spot.

12 hours ago, dencorso said:

Well, @xper is the owner and 1st member of MSFN, so that http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showuser=1 does provide the incept time, from his joining date. :)
There was one big BBS in Brazil, called Mandix. But I got my 1st access when the University I studied in got BITNET, then I moved on to internet, when it arrived here (early 1991). I used PINE for a real long time, before moving on to web-mail, and I used to hang around various groups on the usenet. I heard about FidoNet and compuserve, but not about The Spot.

Back when AOL was "the thing" for dial up.  You could use Trumpet Winsock and Mosiac to access websites which were few if any.  I think this was on an old 486 that barely could handle it.  One of the earliest maybe even very popular website was The Spot.  I guess you could call it a reality TV show in the form of a website before reality TV shows became popular like today.  There wasn't a whole lot of websites to visit on the internet then compared to today.  BBSs were still more popular than the internet at the time and this was before DSL or Cable modem.  Maybe 14.4Kb for BBSs then 33.6Kb for most internet users and rare to get the 56Kb V90 sonar tone unless you had a real good land line connection to the ISP.  Unfortunately there is no real equivalent form of a BBS on the internet.  No more ANSI art.  BBSs were special and being a SysOp was rewarding when someone connected to your computer usually one user per phone line it was like welcoming a guest into your house.  I guess you could say the SysOp is also the ultimate host and lurker too. :whistle:

I've used Trumpet Winsock for ages!!! :yes:

I remember using Mosaic. It was really painful having to wait for the pages to load fully, before one could do anything! :puke:
That's why moving on to Netscape was so wonderful! Particularly because all Internet access from Brazil at the time rarely went over 9.6Kb!!! But those were great times, all the same! :yes: