Download the Windows OEM Installation Kit - NEW

Yeah I'll admit it's a hassle. Hell I don't even use the .NET/W2K3 PE and I know my current one is better. 4051 PE is a bit out of the now, but it's reliable for what I do with it, and I like it. There aren't a lot of people that can actually say that and mean it. Personally I'm thinking of going back to this crappy PE because of compatibility...Which shouldn't even be an issue. -_-

It says it is SP2 build 2180 PE which "should be", winpe 1.5 or 2004. Now if you are referencing the bootable cd version which comes on the same disc in the three packs, or now one packs, then you may be right about the versions. :)

The winpe.chm front page says it's Version 2004. When I tried to use a Windows Server 2003 CD as the source to build the PE it wouldn't accept it and said it must be XP SP2 CD (which worked fine).

Edited by Takeshi

• 3 weeks later...
"There is also a great page at the site with all of the hot fixes in there as well as the silent install switches for each one!"

Can you point me to this?

cjl [registered member there; my company, etc.]

Here's the link (registration required)

Available Updates for Windows XP

It's on the same Downloads page as the OPK (farther down). However, the list hasn't been updated since July. So I recommend checking the list here at MSFN

• 4 weeks later...
....Also, MS now offers Windows XP OEM licenses in 1-Packs. Before you had to purchase a 3-pack of OEM licenses which, if purchased through official channels, included the OPK....

Since when did OEM licenses only come in 3 packs? I bought my Xp Home OEM online from Eagle Computer in 2002. And it wasn't a 3-pack, but I did have to buy an internal pc part off their list, which wasn't a big deal cause I had intended on getting a 3.5 floppy drive anyway.

Since when did OEM licenses only come in 3 packs? I bought my Xp Home OEM online from Eagle Computer in 2002. And it wasn't a 3-pack, but I did have to buy an internal pc part off their list, which wasn't a big deal cause I had intended on getting a 3.5 floppy drive anyway.

They are talking about getting the license directly from Microsoft. In your case it's Eagle Computer that before had to order the OEM versions in batches of 3 or more, but if you now register as a "computer builder" you can order one single license from Microsoft.

Edited by suttle

• 1 year later...
What is this program for? Is it to help facilitate unattended installs?

It does everything from creating your own pre-installed Windows image, to unattended installs, to massive deployment (I think). It contains Win PE & also sysprep.

Is it easy to use? I'm surprised that this hasn't been publicized that much.

What is this program for? Is it to help facilitate unattended installs?

It does everything from creating your own pre-installed Windows image, to unattended installs, to massive deployment (I think). It contains Win PE & also sysprep.

Is it easy to use? I'm surprised that this hasn't been publicized that much.

It's meant for OEM (Dell, etc.) but non-OEM can use it for personal use. On the CD (ISO image) contains tones of documentation (CHM & Word doc files), with step-by-step guides, and manuals.