RunOnceEx Windows

If this post has already been answered, my apologies, but I have recently reverted back to RunOnceEx as my method of installation for my programs. All of my programs install smoothly, but I have more than what can be seen on a 1024 x 768 screen, thus, I would like to separate some of the applications just so it looks better. Does anyone know how to create a second window to appear after the applications in the first window are completed?

hmm... this might work...

fill up the screen then add 1 last command which removes all entries in the runonce key (may not be needed).

then add the rest of the keys and run the command "rundll32.exe iernonce.dll,RunOnceExProcess"

do as many items as nexscacery.... (not tested and may not work... but it should)

I've never used RunOnceEx before and have only skimmed that part of the guide. But to the best of my knowledge, those registry entries are removed after they are used on a reboot. The remaining entries (if any) will still be run in sequence when you next login.

So, just put a shutdown command in your list of entries.

The list isn't updated in real-time; instead, a window can categorize the types of programs that are being installed. For example, the first window could install burning and ripping software (and have such as the title) and the next could be instant messaging software, etc.

a window can categorize the types of programs that are being installed

How...???

I have a reboot command in the middle of my ROE script, so it rebbots half way through, then carries on with the rest of the script...

How can you make multiple instances of this for different install requirements?? I would be very interested to hear...

Thanks

I would suggest you make a batch script, so, it would look sort of like this

REM Simple batch...
start \wait Installer1.msi
start \wait Installer2.msi

with the start command, you simply add the 'wait' flag, and it stops and waits till execution is complete... this method is also easier because now you only have one entry in your RunOnceEx list, the batch file...

But given what jdgordon said, RunOnceEx will work its way through a given list and refresh that list visually in real-time. A batch file doesn't give you those nice headings and the arrow pointing to what its currently doing, does it?

Oh, picky picky... personally I like the look of the command shell...

couldnt you just use the WPI project on MSFN to give the same effect, or does it have to be done on install? If thats the case, Ill just be quiet, because I have not a clue.

EDIT:

Eagerly waiting on OrcoXP's answer... should be interesting

Edited by mattofak

Mine is done this way...works pretty nicely.

Lots of examples to use from mine, too.

Note: I categorize all my programs so that they are in specific folders.

I can post a copy of my ROE when I get home.

Oh, and just in case I forget...my ROE requires that there be a file called CD.txt in the root of the CD.

Can someone bump this thread shortly after I write this so I have an email reminder when I get home?

When I get too many installers on my UACDs (usually DVDs though...), I categorize them like OrcoXP said.

For example:

cmdow @ /HID
@echo off
FOR %%i IN (D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z) DO IF EXIST %%i:win51ip.SP2 SET %Z%=%%i:\Installs

SET KEY=HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx

REG ADD %KEY% /V TITLE /D "Programs Installing"

REG ADD %KEY%\000 /VE /D "Category 1"
REG ADD %KEY%\000 /V 1 /D "%Z%\Category1\Program1\Setup1.exe /silent"
REG ADD %KEY%\000 /V 2 /D "%Z%\Category1\Program2\Setup2.exe /s"

REG ADD %KEY%\005 /VE /D "Category 2"
REG ADD %KEY%\005 /V 1 /D "%Z%\Category2\Program3\Setup3.exe /quiet"
REG ADD %KEY%\005 /V 2 /D "%Z%\Category2\Program4\Setup4.exe /verysilent"

<etc etc etc>

Just replace the valid entries with your categories/programs/switches and you're set. If anyone has a better method, let me know.

I'm still curious as to this CD.txt that OrcoXP speaks of...