How to make a logon screen

FthrJACK

ill go thru this tutorial as though you are using Restorator, but you can use Winhack, Colledit etc if you like. you can get Restorator from: http://www.bome.com/Restorator/

1) Start restorator up, an open the loginui.exe file found in your C:WINDOWSsystem32 folder.

2)Now, expand the bitmap tree and extract the images to a directory on your desktop, now you can edit all of these in a pait program, Fireworks, Paintshop etc. when you have edited each one, go to the file you want to replace in Restorator, eg, the main background image 001.bmp, click on it in the tree and it will appear on the right hand side, go back to the file on your desktop and highlight it, now press CTRL+C to copy it, back in Restorator click on the image in the right window and press CTRL+V to paste your new image in, do this with all the images until you are happy with them all.

3)Now for the background colors, fonts etc. these are found in the UIFILE/1000. click on the 1000 file and scroll down till you get to the text. when you get to this bit stop.

<style resid=framess>

element

{

background: argb(0,1,57,202);

}

element [id=atom(contentcontainer)]

{

background: rgb(1,57,202);

}

button

{

background: rcbmp(112,6,#FF00FF,0,0,1,0);

borderthickness: rect(8,8,0,8);

The bit in red is the bit we are interested in, its the main background color, you can find out the RGB value for colors with your paint program in "define custom colors" it shows you the Red, Green, and Blue values on the right hand side when you select a color you want to use, simply type these numbers into the 1000 file, dont worry if the color value in the 1000 file is more than three values, just leave the FIRST one as 0.

Right click on the 1000 file window in Restorator, and select "tool window", now click on the ABC| tab and edit it, then press F8 to apply your changes, other parts of the 1000 file you might want to edit are:

</style>

<style resid=toppanelss>

element

{

background: argb(0,0,0,0);

}

element [id=atom(toppanel)]

{

background: rgb(25,34,63);

}

element [id=atom(divider)]

{

background: rcbmp(125,6,#FF00FF,0,0,1,0);

This is the color of the top panel, you can also set this as a gradient like the bottom one is by using the code highlighted in red below inplace of the red code for the top panel, the gradient is just two RGB values.

<style resid=bottompanelss>

element

{

background: argb(0,0,0,0);

}

element [id=atom(bottompanel)]

{

background: gradient(argb(0,0,10,141), argb(0,248,202,80), 0);

fontface: rcstr(2);

}

element [id=atom(divider)]

{

background: rcbmp(126,6,#FF00FF,0,0,1,0);

Ill finish this later... to be continued.

• 2 years later...

hi ive read your small tut and its a great tut i know you say its unfinished, so ill just ask you one question, how do you change the words on it ?

thanks

lost soul

hi im sorry i keep adding more things , i keep on thinking of new questions i hope you dont mind, here are 2 more questions to throw at you..

1) after changing the welcome screen, how do i add that to my unattended xp pro cd, ?

and

2) if i can alter the welcome screen in this manner, how can i alter the logging off screen ?

thanks again

lost soul

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

@Lost Soul > to edit the words in logon screen just edit the texts in the String Table session

and to include the file in the unattended CD, include it the $$\System32 folder

• 1 month later...

any reason for the whole empty space? atfirst was thinking my logonui.ex_ was messed up, but then i understood why he said scroll down,

@orsi, why not just makecab logonui.exe and put it back in the i386 ? save the time and it'll be there just the same :B

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

OK first of all i don't pretend to be all that knowledgeable about this forum because i haven't been a member very long but it seems to me if you were going to write a "How to Guide" :no: (Especially one that is sticky-ed in the forum dedicated to logonUI and Bootscreens and is the very first post none the less with a big Ole title "HOW TO MAKE A LOGON SCREEN) :no: It's like saying hey i'm gonna when your owed $100 and person calls you up and says he i got your money and then he only gives you $25. Don't get me wrong I'm Glad fthrJACK is writing this tut it has started me on the right path for which i am truly appreciative of. But just think be for whoever made this the number one post in a forum dedicated to this subject the should have waited until the tutorial was complete. OK i'm done I'll get off my soap box.

but to nakkoush just rename your custome logonscreen to LOGONUI.exe

and then you can either put it in your

$oem$$$System32 Folder

or you can (again rename it to logonui.exe) use modifype and makecab to and put it in your i386 folder

MSFN How to Compress files

Check out this it will tell you how to do the second method.

make sure you test this first because trust me it's not pretty when it doesn't work but if for some reason it doesn't install properlly just hold down your cntr + alt + del keys untill it switches to 2000 looking logon screen. you can then put in your password and then fix it the file should be copied to your %windir%system32 folder.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I am new to customizing the windows login screen. I am running win xp pro x32 and xp pro x64 corp on another rig and I wanted to know if I need a program like windowsblinds. Is there a way to add text where it would normally say shutdown you could add text such as "Turning off this computer will result in you in loosing my number". Has this been test on x32 and x64 OS's?

Edited by supra98twinturbo

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I actually like to use existing .logonxp themes. I just pull the graphics and the UIFILE out of the .logonxp theme via ResHack and put them into my logonui.exe's via ResHack too. Works like a charm. :thumbup

• 1 month later...
I actually like to use existing .logonxp themes. I just pull the graphics and the UIFILE out of the .logonxp theme via ResHack and put them into my logonui.exe's via ResHack too. Works like a charm. :thumbup

Thank you so much for that awesome tip. I really was wondering how to implement LogonXP's ease of use. BTW. You don't need to use reshack to edit logonxp themes. Just rename .logonxp to zip and extract!

• 5 weeks later...

to supra98twinturbo

to change the "shut down" text you go to "system" under the "control panel". And under "Computer Name" You add what you want it to say. Apply that and the next time you get to the login Screen it should have the text changed.

This worked for me using Xp Home OEM, atleast this is what i think i did. i will check again when i get home to make sure. ;)

• 4 weeks later...