DirectShow FilterPack

Reino

Hello DigeratiPrime,

I'm glad you like it. Of course you can make it unattended but somehow I always had the feeling I had to install all the other stuff first (ffdshow, real alt, quicktime alt, etc.), but of course it would be really great if you could confirm it works for 100% this way. By the way; as mentioned in the readme, a directory structure already present in the archive, so perhaps you should change it into Path=%systemdrive%, I'm not sure.

The FFDShow tray icon(s) I always find quite handy though. It quickly shows me the filter(s) being used, bitrate, frequency, channels, you name it. You should take it a try: FFDShow Audio/Video Decoder Properties > Tray, dialog & paths > [show tray icon] [Extended info]

Actually i changed my mind, originally i disliked the tray icon, but your right its very useful, especially for toggling subtitles.

Also I install them in the same order, but i doubt it would matter unless they shared certain files.

The reason i repacked it and used the %ProgramFiles% variable was that i changed the default location in winnt.sif to D:Program Files, so it may present a problem in that situation.

Thanks Again :)

• 4 weeks later...

For those of you who don't believe my package works (somehow I've got that feeling), I'd like to point out the schematic directshow graphs (which filters are gathered for MP3 playback for instance). Here you have a picture of Zoom Player where you can see which filters are being used for the playback of a MP3-file:

ZP.gif

Below you can see the schematic version.

Container formats, such as MPG and MKV I will point out as MKV[XviD+AC3] for instance, meaning; a Matroska-file with a XviD Video part and a AC3 Audio part.

Also note that source filters (like APE and MPC) won't show up most of the time in the graph, since like their name already points out, they grab the file by the source.

So, once you have installed everything correctly the directshow graphs will somewhat look like this:

(p.s. I hope my english isn't that bad)

AUDIO

Source Splitter Decoder Renderer
MP3 -> MP3 Parser Filter -> ffdshow Audio Decoder -> Audio Renderer
OGG -> RadLight Ogg Splitter -> ffdshow Audio Decoder -> Audio Renderer
AAC -> AAC Parser -> ffdshow Audio Decoder -> Audio Renderer
MP4/M4A -> Elecard MP4 Demultiplexer -> ffdshow Audio Decoder -> Audio Renderer
AC3 -> AC3 Parser Filter -> ffdshow Audio Decoder -> Audio Renderer
MPC,MOD,APE,FLAC,OFR,CDA,CDXA (Source Filter) -> Audio Renderer
PLS (SHOUTcast Source Filter) -> ffdshow Audio Decoder -> Audio Renderer

VIDEO & AUDIO

MPG[MPEG2+MP2] -> Gabest MPEG Splitter -> Gabest MPEG Decoder -> Video Renderer
\> ffdshow Audio Decoder -> Audio Renderer
VOB[MPEG2+DTS] -> Gabest MPEG Splitter -> Gabest MPEG Decoder -> Video Renderer
OGG[Theora+Vorbis] -> RadLight Ogg Splitter -> ffdshow Video Decoder -> Video Renderer
MP4[H264+AAC] -> Elecard MP4 Demultiplexer -> ffdshow Video Decoder -> Video Renderer
MKV[XviD+AC3] -> Matroska Splitter -> ffdshow Video Decoder -> Video Renderer

Comments:

-MP4/M4A is always AAC Audio.

-PLS (SHOUTcast) is always MP3 Audio. (haven't seen other audio formats yet)

-MPG[MPEG1+MP2] (MPEG Video 1 + MPEG Audio 1 Layer 2), is still done by the Windows default MPEG filters.

-Of course you can also paste the "VobSub Filter" behind a Video Decoder in case of subtitles. For instance a MKV-file with integrated subtitles:

MKV[XviD+AC3] -> Matroska Splitter -> ffdshow Video Decoder -> VobSub Filter -> Video Renderer

Please feel free to ask questions I you have any, I'll try my best to answer them, although I too can't answer all questions :P

Edited by CoRoNe

This sounds like a great app, but I hope you can help me with some things:

From your discription:

"For complete support, you need to enable a couple of formats. (see FFDShow Configuration)"

which formats do I have to enable? and how should I configure FFDShow in order to have the optimal configuration?

Edited by Skillz

[FFDShow Configuration]

Audio Decoder Configuration:

-MP1,MP2 --> libmad

-MP3 --> libmad

-AC3 --> liba52

-DTS --> libdts

-AAC --> libfaad2

-Vorbis --> tremor

-FLAC --> disabled (FFDShow fails while rendering FLAC, hence the CoreCodec FLAC Decoder)

Video Decoder Configuration:

-XviD --> libavcodec

-DivX 3 --> libavcodec

-DivX 4 --> libavcodec

-DivX 5 --> libavcodec

-H.264 --> libavcodec

-Theora --> libtheora

You'll find the audio/video configuration in your startmenu where you installed FFDShow.

There you need to go to the first tab "Codecs":

FFDShow_config.png

Here you can click on the specific decoders you like.

So, since MPEG2 isn't fully supported yet, it's best you keep it disabled.

Also leave FLAC alone as mentioned above.

DivX and XivD etc. are already enabled by default so there are only a few more you need to enable/change.

Furthermore, at the tab "Tray, dialog & paths" I have Show tray icon and Extended info ticked, which enables a tray icon on the rightbottom of your screen. This shows you with every audio/video-file you play what kind of file it acctually is:

FFDShow_trayicon.gif

And the tab "Volume" I have ticked, where I have Normalize and Show current volume levels ticked. Normalize is especially handy when it comes to movies with low volume AC3 Audio.

That's it. Of course you can configure much more, but I don't need more ;)

The same "Tray, dialog & paths" stuff goes for the Video Configuration, and I have Accurate deblocking ticked at the "Postprocessing" tab. (produces a slightly better image quality).

In my opinion this is all you need to configure. Good luck.

(With the next update I'll correct the readme a little concerning this FFDShow issue)

Btw, I do have a question to all of you who use my little package.

I noticed that the RadLight OGG Splitter 1.0.0.2 (13022005) has a minor issue rendering Vorbis Audio at the very beginning of a OGG-file. I encoded some test material (one song encoded with some different quality settings/bitrates), and I noticed songs were being rendered like a fraction of a second upto half a second the song too short at the very beginning (**** my english sucks :()

I'm trying to say, the song isn't played at the beginning (00:00,00), but starts at 00:00,50 for instance or something. This issue only concerns the one from RadLight, the one from Gabest works fine, but this one doesn't support splitting THEORA. Now I wonder, how many people acctually do have THEORA video files?

So it's either:

-RadLight with it's playback issue at the beginning or;

-Gabest with no THEORA support

I would say Gabest, since I've never even seen one THEORA file on the internet (except the Lego Movie test sample :P), what do you say?

Another Question:

I've just installed + configured DSFP & FFDshow the way you do, BUT I can't play my ".mp4" files anymore.

Can you tell me what I have to change in the FFDShow config in order to make it work again?

I also don't get any sound with my ".mp4" files...

Edited by Skillz

AUDIO

MP4/M4A -> Elecard MP4 Demultiplexer -> ffdshow Audio Decoder -> Audio Renderer

As you can see, the Elecard filter needs to be registered and with the FFDShow Audio Decoder, AAC need to be enabled either with libfaac2 or realaac in the codecs tab.

I just discovered I completely forgot to mention in the readme that my package is for WinXP only, since most of the filters are too. (the updated filters with the latest release are all unicode releases)

(what the hell is this, from the latest paragraph I wanted to make a single post, but everytime it get's inserted in this post!?!)

Edited by CoRoNe

"As you can see, the Elecard filter needs to be registered and with the FFDShow Audio Decoder, AAC need to be enabled either with libfaac2 or realaac in the codecs tab."

@ECHO OFF

TITLE DirectShow FilterPack 1.9 - Install

ECHO Installing DirectShow Filters:

ECHO.

ECHO AUDIO

ECHO.

ECHO Tom Judd AAC Parser Filter 1.1.0 (25112003)

REGSVR32.EXE /s "Audio\AAC Parser Filter\AAC_Parser.ax"

ECHO.

ECHO VIDEO

ECHO.

ECHO Elecard MP4 Demultiplexer 1.4.2.51012 (31102005)

REGSVR32.EXE /s "Video\MP4 Splitter\emp4demux.ax"

So aren't those filters allready registered with your "DSFP_inst.bat" file?

And I did configure AAC with the "libfaac2" option, I'll try the other option.

Update: Realaac also doesn't work...

The .Mp4 files are created with Nero Recode.

Edited by Skillz