DirectShow FilterPack

Reino

I'm sorry, but I guess you're in the wrong place here. the CCCP has nothing to do with my package since I don't include any codecs, and I also don't include filters with bad compatibility (like the OGG codecs from Tobias). And if you're absolutely convinced that package is the only one, you should have at least comeup with some good arguments.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Corone!

I would like to advise you to create a small website... it would be great for spreading this superb package! I think it is really neccessary...

I also have a few questions... not using your pack (yet)

I use MediaPlayerClassic. I understand the quality of ffdshow and I would like it if it could handle everything..

But, I have been able to play everything I want with just ffdshow quicktime&Real and wm10lite from tituo2k. I DO install flac decoder seperately, don't use AC3Filter because FFDshow can do the work (and in your first post you also recomend this.)

For playing mpeg2 I have been using ffdshow, at least that's what I thought.. seems I have been using Cyberlink dvd decoder for a long time because I once read this is the best software decoder for mpeg2. Can you verify this? But Cyberlink is not free... I guess if I don't have a Cyberlink player cd somewhere it is illegal to use.

So for FLAC, dvdplayback and ogg playback I do have to install something seperate.

I actually don't now about AAC or the MP3 vbr playtime bug because I use Winamp mostly for this..

But in this case your pack would be handy so that everything is already configured like it is suppose to :) (BTW I assume I do not need to configure ANYTHING? then it wouldn't be really 'silent'.)

Ape, MOD, MPC, OFR (Optimfrog): I don't use these audiotypes and I never even found one when downloading... so for these things I don't need the pack.

But I've just downloaded it and it seems to be just a piece of cake to remove these from the pack, just delete the corresponding folders & remove the lines in the install.bat file :)

Now the following:

I don't see a reason for the following:

-Gabest CDDA Source Filter 1.0.0.1 (25112005)

Filter for playback of Audio CDs

--> MPC plays them perfectly (however I use Winamp to play 99% of my music)

-Gabest CDXA Source Filter 1.0.0.1 (25112005)

Filter for playback of SVCDs and XCDs

--> For as far as I know MPC can play them just fine (ofcourse with ffdshow and a mpeg2 decoder)

-Gabest VobSub Filter 2.37 (25112005)

Adds subtitles to a video stream

(Alt+S for VobSub options in Zoom Player)

--> FFDshow can handle subtitles just fine! (and actually MPC also has good subs support, independent of ffdshow but I use ffdshow, just 1 checkbox :) )

Q:DCoder also has a Monkey Audio Source Filter, why RadLight?

A:Actually it doesn't matter which one you choose, both of them work fine.

---> I thought the whole idea is not to install things you don't need, not to install 2 things if one of them can do the job, why is RadLight APE Source Filter included if Dcoder can do this also?

Also I have a suggestion, instead of having a folder called DSFP in Program Files, wouldn't it be better if you call the folder DirectShow Filterpack? Then if one scrolls through the Explorer he won't ask himself "huh what's that strange foldername?"

Or perhaps (Directshow) Audio & Video (Decoders) or whatever that makes clear what it does :)

I hope you have some time to create a site... I have created a very easy to use installer for who wants to backup his dvdmovies (copy them)... but it is not really popular since it is hosted on Dutch forum (gathering.tweakers.net). Now I've also decided to create a site... since I have discovered a very easy to use app (Nvu.com) and nice webhost (free-webster.com).

Edited by ZileXa

(strange, I didn't get email notification for this...)

Hey Corone!

I would like to advise you to create a small website... it would be great for spreading this superb package! I think it is really neccessary...

I've already made some preparations for this, but I'm also busy with other things.
...seems I have been using Cyberlink dvd decoder for a long time because I once read this is the best software decoder for mpeg2. Can you verify this? But Cyberlink is not free... I guess if I don't have a Cyberlink player cd somewhere it is illegal to use.
Imo it is yes, and so (unlike other people who also create filter packages) I will not include any material which isn't free. Yeah well, what is "best"? Speed, quality? If you're planning on watching High Definition material it would be very usefull when your MPEG2 Decoder support DXVA (DirectX Video Acceleration), but too bad no opensource filter support this. The opensource MPEG filters from Gabest are the easiest way for people to watch MPEG2 files and DVD's imo.
(BTW I assume I do not need to configure ANYTHING?)
In the readme you will find the instructions to enable some media formats in FFDShow which aren't enabled by default. And on page 3 I made a post about some handy functions of FFDShow. But concerning the filters within my package, there's nothing you have to do except hit the DSFP_inst.bat to install.
Ape, MOD, MPC, OFR (Optimfrog): I don't use these audiotypes and I never even found one when downloading... so for these things I don't need the pack.
I recently had this discussion with Fridge-Raider, and I decided that with the next version, I will release two different version; a normal version and a full version. The normal version will include basic things like MP3,OGG,etc, whereas the full version is like the package right now.
I don't see a reason for the following:

-Gabest CDDA Source Filter 1.0.0.1 (25112005)

Filter for playback of Audio CDs

--> MPC plays them perfectly (however I use Winamp to play 99% of my music)

First of all, if you play 99% of your music with WinAMP or any other plugin-based media player you don't need my package at all...

And second, you have to realise this package I didn't primarily create for MPC, but for any DirectShow media player. It's just that MPC already has many filters integrated, but that's not the case with any other DirectShow media players. I myself am using Zoom Player, which is a very advanced DirectShow based media player, but doesn't include one single filter. (otherwise I could have called it "MPC Filterpack" or something)

--> FFDshow can handle subtitles just fine!
Sure it can, but the main reason for that is that it can't detect subs inside MKV-files (just yet?).
Q:DCoder also has a Monkey Audio Source Filter, why RadLight?

A:Actually it doesn't matter which one you choose, both of them work fine.

---> I thought the whole idea is not to install things you don't need, not to install 2 things if one of them can do the job, why is RadLight APE Source Filter included if Dcoder can do this also?

Because it doesn't matter which one you choose, both of them work fine. But I just made a choise and I included the one from RadLight in my package (not both! :blink:)
Also I have a suggestion, instead of having a folder called DSFP in Program Files, wouldn't it be better if you call the folder DirectShow Filterpack? Then if one scrolls through the Explorer he won't ask himself "huh what's that strange foldername?"
Suggestion noted and stored.

Oh thanks for the big reply!

Ok I am using the Directshow pack :)

Actually it is soo easy this pack, it is no problem it has some filters for rare filetypes, people can easily delete the folders corresponding to the filter they don't need!

The batch file will give error but not fail I think. Otherwise you could modify it by adding "IF EXIST" [foldername] THEN ... (register those filters).

And you are right it is ofcourse not MPCpack!. MPC can handle mkv + subs well so I don't use vobsub.

so perhaps it is not really neccessary to bring out 2 packs... I don't know it is your choice :)

I like Flac, use it to backup CDs (burned cds become unplayable after few years). So I personally keep that one in. I think I will therefore always download the 'full' pack and remove the folders/filters I don't want.

I will try to find out if there is a way to enable some media formats in ffdshow silently... perhaps some ini file or regsetting. I will post the result!

BTW perhaps an idea to include FFDshow in your pack?

Official ffdshow updates:

http://ffdshow.sourceforge.net > Daily Builds (sounds like alpha/beta but it lists all ffdshow releases, not just alpha/beta).

EDIT:

For people who install NERO after ffdshow/DS Filterpack, Nero's own DSfilters are registered to handle some videofiles... that's a bad thing, the quality is less, you can't modify anything and it wont play everything correctly.

So Install ffdshow/ds filterpack AFTER Nero!

Or even better, edit the Nero installer so that DSFilters (it is located in the folder Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\DSFilters and it is ~10MB) is not installed :)

Edited by ZileXa

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just FYI: I have switched to using MPUI which is just a frontend for MPlayer to play most of my video files. MPUI is only 3mb and two files, and plays almost anything. And I use XMPlay for my music, because its very light, fast, and plays mod and spc fomats. I keep links to both of these programs in my sig if your interested ;)

That said, CoRoNe's filterpack is an excellent pack :D

FULL uA: http://rapidshare.de/files/15263762/uA_DSFP_2_FULL.exe.html

LITE uA: http://rapidshare.de/files/15263860/uA_DSFP_2_LITE.exe.html

Edited by DigeratiPrime

Hey DigeratiPrime,

What kinda of program do you use? Your file appears to be 45% larger then mine, and what did you do? Only "\\ " in the batch-files, and some extraction codes in the archive itself. Kinda weird this quite larger filesize, don't you think?

@DigeratiPrime: Can you post a link to a guide that explains how you created the pack? I thought I'd seen a RAR guide before; but now can only find a 7ZIP guide.

the winrar sfx comments just silently extract to %program files% and runs the install.bat afterwards. You can see this is you open the file in winrar and look at the comment. I also 'disabled' the pause line in the bat so it is a true silent install.