WinPE and Intel pro/1000 MT Driver

Stoned Pony

I am have problems using the Intel pro/1000 MT Driver with a WinPE custom disk. I have need to boot into WinPE and attach to a share and have been unable to do so on our Dell Optiplex GX270. I know I am installing drivers and inf's and so on to the proper directories as I've been able to add support for various HP and IBM models. As with the other models booting WinPE and trying for the first time factory -winpe red X's and netcfg shows no adapters or services loaded - I added the the same version driver from Dell that is used and works for Win XP (e1000325.inf ver 7.xx) factory still red X's - adapt. is now listed - no services. Changed to Intels (ver 8.6.11.0) and same results. Can manually start services with netcfg -winpe and netstart dhcp and LNA, then manually run factory -winpe, then looks good but still no network connection. Ideas?

I had a similar problem.

Here is part of a vbs that dell sent me. basically all you need is teh file types and the locations.

If (fso.FolderExists(fldr&"\i386\system32\drivers") AND _

fso.FolderExists(fldr&"\i386\inf") AND _

fso.FileExists(fldr&"\I386\system32\setupreg.hiv") AND _

fso.FileExists(fldr&"\I386\txtsetup.sif")) Then

Set parent = fso.GetFolder(abspath&"\drivers")

set subfolder = parent.Subfolders

For Each subs in subfolder

fso.CopyFile subs&"\*.sys",fldr&"\i386\system32\drivers",true

fso.CopyFile subs&"\*.dll",fldr&"\i386\system32",true

fso.CopyFile subs&"\*.exe",fldr&"\i386\system32",true

fso.CopyFile subs&"\*.din",fldr&"\i386\system32",true

fso.CopyFile subs&"\*.inf",fldr&"\i386\inf",true

Next

If you notice... There are DLL files required to make it function as well as some others. Copy those files too and your good as gold.

Chris

ChrisBaksa,

Thx for your response, did not need to go through all that - found that Intels inf had a tag line that its installer could handle fine, however windows was unable to parse it properly - renamed it from Intel.5.xx.xx to Intel and all was well.

Mats,

I am using version 1.2 - no this was not to Ris boot - am using WinPE on CD and USB Keys / Drives as a common boot environment to ghost images from USB drives or network. I believe the current version PE uses an installer to add the drivers as opposed to manually locating files - the installer "may" do required house keeping and preparse (install) inf storing the reg settings, if so this symptom would not be seen.

Thx,

SP

That is correct.

Winpe2005 has a tool called drvinst that can inject pnp drivers into a PE image.

Pe 1.2 had the problem you found on RIS and as you found it has the same problem on native boot too.

If you can, take a look at 2005. The ramboot support and the wmi support are really nice to have

Mats,

I am using version 1.2 - no this was not to Ris boot - am using WinPE on CD and USB Keys / Drives as a common boot environment to ghost images from USB drives or network. I believe the current version PE uses an installer to add the drivers as opposed to manually locating files  - the installer "may" do required house keeping and preparse (install) inf storing the reg settings, if so this symptom would not be seen.

Thx,

SP

download newer version following instructions here.

If you build a new WinPE using Windows 2003 Server with SP1 as source, you will be able to integrate newer Intel® PRO Network Connections Drivers e1000325.inf without any problems.

Edited by Bilou_Gateux

Had the same issue with this driver when supporting a Dell PE 2800 for RIS boots on a machine running Win2003 SP1. If I removed the SP1 from the RIS machine, the .inf worked like a charm until I put SP1 on again.

Turned out that the .inf file parser (tcpsvcs.exe) is changed during the SP1 installation and that it would not decode the .inf correctly until one change the [intel.5.xx.xx] section to (as mentioned) [intel].

I dont have a WinPE built from a Win2003SP1 source in front of me but my guess is that the tcpsvcs.exe is included with the build if one examine the files in place.

Best Regards

Tha Sasusage Eater...

• 1 month later...

I cant get round this pro 1000 problem. I have spk1 which cannot be uninstalled and the servers are now imbedded into our environment, rebuilding is not really an option.

Pro 1000 boots into PE but dont work correctly in PE - wont resolve names or connect to Netware boxes.

Have tried the above but could really do with some help. Can you supply the driver versions you used Br4tt3 and a copy of the inf file. Thanks

-If you build a new WinPE using Windows 2003 Server with SP1 as source, you will be able to integrate newer Intel® PRO Network Connections Drivers e1000325.inf without any problems.-

Hmm, didnt work for me :(

Edited by gadget