Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

RISult - Integrating RIS + RyanVM/BTS packs

* * * * * 2 votes

• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

Fencer128

Fencer128

Fluffy

• PipPip
  • 231 posts
  • Joined 05-January 05
Hi Resonate,

Please see my comments below:

1. When specifying a default .sif file the script goes ahead and deletes ristndrd.sif but does not make the[guirunonce]amendments to the custom sif file. This in turns causes the finish.cmd and cleanup.cmd not to be exexuted post install. Ive gotten around this by commenting out the default sif section and renaming my default .sif to ristndrd.sif. This way the entries are correctly made to my custom file.

I have found the problem here. I have not carried through the variable that defines the custom.sif file. At one point there is still a hard linked "ristndrd.sif" specified. I have made a change that should fix this, but I am away from the desk at the moment so am unable to test it! If you have the time I'd appreciate it if you could run RISult and give some feedback.

2. I still seem to be getting a file not found error in the script around this stage

REM Move necessary BTS files to RIS suitable locations
MOVE /Y OEM\bin\7za.exe $OEM$\$$\System32 >> "%LOGALL%"
MOVE /Y OEM\bin\SetDevicePath.exe $OEM$\$1\D >> "%LOGALL%"
MOVE /Y OEM\bin\WatchDriverSigningPolicy.exe $OEM$\$1\D >> "%LOGALL%"
MOVE /Y OEM\*.7z $OEM$\$1 >> "%LOGALL%"

Im not able to pinpoint the exact location as the logfile (which ive attached) appears to stop loggin after the error has occured. The script does however finish. There are several entries below these lines that appear to require logging but do not appear on the log.

Maybe I've missed an update of BTS or maybe the way in which I've used RISult previously wasn't impacted by this - but I can see that WatchDriverSigningPolicy.exe is not located within OEM/bin. I've amended the path now so you should not get a file not found error again.

3. There seems to be a problem with your amended BTS cleanup and finish.cmd. (although ive not actually ran them in the context you have due to the problem stated in section 1) i have manually clicked them and seen some problems.

I've had a look at this and it is something I'll need to spend a little time on. I've fixed the problem with BTS...Cleanup.cmd. There should have been a "DEL" in there. Presetup.cmd should now no longer be run but deleted instead - I blame cut and paste for that one ;)

The problem with moving BTS...Finish.cmd to a new location is unusual. It must be to do with the parsing of that particular command line within the context of an fedit statement. The MOVE command is correctly formatted when used in a simple batch file - it isn't working here though. I'll have a look and see if I can fix it. Failing that I'll see if I can do a copy/delete instead.

With regard to the errors you get after executing BTS...Cleanup.cmd I suspect that's caused, as you suppose, by presetup.cmd erroneously executing. As such, this should now also be fixed. I (and others) have previously had problems with the "D" folder not getting deleted at end of the build installation. If the "D" folder is still present after you have otherwise successfully installed then this may not be a RISult issue.

I would like to thankyou once again for all the hard work you have put into this project and look forward to your feedback.

I'm currently in the middle of creating a VB version of RISult, as I have moved on a larger project - which incorporates RISult, as well as ISO and PE build creation in a GUI VB environment. As such, one of the things I'm working on is improving the logging abilities and making the file/folder specification process less error prone/intuitive. It's still a while away so I'm still supporting the batch RISult but I hope you can see that the idiosyncracies of batch file operation should eventually be a thing of the past! :D

Given that the current 1.0.7 build of RISult has problems I'm going to post 1.0.8 immediately, with the caveat that it hasn't yet had the testing it usually gets and that the MOVE BTS...Finish problem appears to still exist. If you could re-run 1.0.8 and let me know of any remaining problems/improvements I'd be most grateful (I'm on vacation this week and have no VPN access to my work).

Thank you for taking the time to report all of this.

Andy
RISult a utility to integrate RyanVM Updates and/or BTS DriverPacks into your RIS image.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Fencer128

Fencer128

Fluffy

• PipPip
  • 231 posts
  • Joined 05-January 05
Hi again Res,

Doh! This is most likely very simple. Do you have a folder %SYSTEMDRIVE%\Temp after install has completed?

I bet that MOVE just creates a new file if it can't find the folder. I'll put an IF statement somewhere to fix this and make sure the folder is created. Once I'm done I'll release 1.0.9.

Cheers,

Andy

EDIT: v1.0.9 now up.

Edited by Fencer128, 14 February 2006 - 04:25 AM.

RISult a utility to integrate RyanVM Updates and/or BTS DriverPacks into your RIS image.

Resonate

Resonate

• 25 posts
  • Joined 11-January 05
OK I will make a new build today.

Just to also let you know this is being tested and used on a Windows 2000 RIS server

Fencer128

Fencer128

Fluffy

• PipPip
  • 231 posts
  • Joined 05-January 05
Hi Res,

Thanks for doing a test. With regards to W2k server, I didn't write RISult with it in mind, but I have a suspicion it works anyway. Please let me know at the end of your trial if it works for you finally.

Thanks,

Andy

Resonate

Resonate

• 25 posts
  • Joined 11-January 05
Ok some early results following build

Custom SIF now seems to process correctly

Still getting an error in the batch file not found

Done! You've completed the slipstream process!

Now test and ENJOY the pleasure of having a fully Unattended Windows XP CD/DVD
wich will work on *virtually_any_PC*!

################################################################################

Done

Performing post-integration processing on RIS file set...
The system cannot find the file specified.
Done

RIS integration is complete! You may now:

1. Copy the D:\RISULT\RIS_Install\i386 folder back over to the RIS server

The log file is still not populating after this error has occured. These are the last lines in my log

Total increase: 974 files, 12179712 bytes expanded to 43464892 bytes, 257% increase.
D:\RISULT\RIS_Install\OEM\DriverPack_Chipset_V601.7z
D:\RISULT\RIS_Install\OEM\DriverPack_CPU_V506.7z
D:\RISULT\RIS_Install\OEM\DriverPack_Graphics_A_V6011.7z
D:\RISULT\RIS_Install\OEM\DriverPack_Graphics_B_V5111.7z
D:\RISULT\RIS_Install\OEM\DriverPack_LAN_V602.7z
D:\RISULT\RIS_Install\OEM\DriverPack_MassStorage_V510.7z
D:\RISULT\RIS_Install\OEM\DriverPack_Sound_A_V601.7z
D:\RISULT\RIS_Install\OEM\DriverPack_Sound_B_V602.7z
D:\RISULT\RIS_Install\OEM\DriverPack_WLAN_V601.7z
1 file(s) copied.
1 file(s) copied.
1 file(s) copied.

Im copying the files to the server now and will do a build test, im off for a smoke!

Fencer128

Fencer128

Fluffy

• PipPip
  • 231 posts
  • Joined 05-January 05
Hi Res,

Right - I think the file not found problem during "Post processing" is due to a 3rd party LAN driver included with w2k3 server that isn't present for w2k server. I imagine that it will not make any difference to your build and can be ignored. The driver will no date be old anyway compared to the ones in the BTS pack.

If it isn't a driver then I suspect it's a different file not present on a w2k3 server and can again be ignored.

The last lines in your log files as correct as far as I can tell, you should not have other entries after those shown in the post.

I'm off to see the girlfriend for lunch now (it is Valentine's day after all :o) - please let me know how the build goes, I'll have a read when I get back.

Cheers,

Andy

Edited by Fencer128, 14 February 2006 - 05:34 AM.

Resonate

Resonate

• 25 posts
  • Joined 11-January 05
The build went well apart from a pause in setup to install the "Plug and play monitor"

It wanted to connect to the internet. Ive seen this once before when doing this work i cant remember if it happened with RISULT or AutoRIS that time but it certainly didnt happen with AUTORIS yesterday.

Kind of rewins the unattended piece lol.

The files are now deleting fine also.

Fencer128

Fencer128

Fluffy

• PipPip
  • 231 posts
  • Joined 05-January 05
Hi Res,

It sounds as if things are getting better now. The plug 'n play monitor issue is a known MS issue and can usually be fixed via a hotfix.

The internet look up is something I've not seen before and that has not happened to me. I'm not convinced it's to do with RISult directly as I certainly don't play with the internet at all.

Cheers,

Andy

p.s. If you could attach your last RISultLog.txt to a post here that would be helpful as I'd like to know exactly what file is not found.

Edited by Fencer128, 14 February 2006 - 07:18 AM.

rathcoffey

rathcoffey
  • 8 posts
  • Joined 03-February 05
Hi Fencer

I have a quick question, perhaps I'm doing something wrong.

At the end of BTS Slipstreaming, I receive the following

Performing post-integration processing on RIS file set...
Done

RIS integration is complete! You may now:

1. Copy the D:\RISULT\RIS_Install\i386 folder back over to the RIS server
.....etc

I am using Windows Server 2003 and a vanilla install everytime. I am using the latest versions of Ryan VM's patches an d integrator. They integrate fine. I am also using v6.02 of BTS Driverpacks.

In the $OEM$ folder I have the following folders and files in the $1 folder.

I have the D folder which contains the following:

BTS_DPs_cleanup
BTS_DPs_finish
SetDevicePath

I have all the driverpacks in 7z format in the $1 folder itself.

Is all this ok?

I am performing a re-image as we speak, I'll let you know how I go.

Great stuff by the way, the hard work is appreciated!!

Mark

Fencer128

Fencer128

Fluffy

• PipPip
  • 231 posts
  • Joined 05-January 05
Hi rathcoffey,

I'm intrgued by the file not found errors you're getting. Could you please attach the RISultLog.txt file to a post so I can have a look. Please also let me know which version of RISult you used.

With regards to your file locations, I'm away from the office at the moment so I can't check exactly where everything should be. I'll be able to have a look sometime on Thursday though. If you've followed the instructions then everything should be in the correct place anyhow.

Please make sure you're now using v1.0.9. You must have used an older version before as you should have another file (WatchDriverSigningPolicy.exe) in the $OEM$/$1/D folder. This was corrected in a later version (see changelog). I suspect this will eliminate one file not found error and leave you in the same position as Resonate (see above).

Thanks,

Andy

Edited by Fencer128, 14 February 2006 - 07:20 AM.

rathcoffey

rathcoffey
  • 8 posts
  • Joined 03-February 05
Hi Fencer

I'm actually using v 1.09.

I will pop WatchDriverSigning Policy.exe into the D folder anyway just in case for the purposes of the build.

I'm just about to start re-imaging now so I'll let you know how I get on.

Edit* The image is finished however, it didn't install any of the drivers for any device *Edit

The last entries in my log file are:

C:\RIS\RIS_Install\OEM\DriverPack_Chipset_V601.7z
C:\RIS\RIS_Install\OEM\DriverPack_CPU_V506.7z
C:\RIS\RIS_Install\OEM\DriverPack_Graphics_A_V6011.7z
C:\RIS\RIS_Install\OEM\DriverPack_Graphics_B_V5111.7z
C:\RIS\RIS_Install\OEM\DriverPack_LAN_V602.7z
C:\RIS\RIS_Install\OEM\DriverPack_WLAN_V601.7z
1 file(s) copied.
1 file(s) copied.

Either way, I'll run it again from fresh and post the complete log file.

Thanks

Mark

Edited by rathcoffey, 14 February 2006 - 07:27 AM.

Fencer128

Fencer128

Fluffy

• PipPip
  • 231 posts
  • Joined 05-January 05
Hi rathcoffey,

I think something is not quite right with your source/set up. You should definately get the drivers installed if you follow the instructions.

Can you please check the following:

1. You have set up your folder structure as per the RISult instructions

2. You are using the latest versions of all programs/packs

3. You have used BTS Method 2, GUIRonOnce, No KtD (other methods do not work)

4. You have no spaces in any of your folder names/paths

5. You are happy that the ris *.sif file you are using is correct

Please let me know as I've never seen a problem with the drivers not getting installed before. I'll have a detailed look at your log too when you attach it.

Thanks,

Andy

Edited by Fencer128, 14 February 2006 - 08:00 AM.

DillyDally

DillyDally
  • Validating
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 23-May 05
Wow good stuff, and just in time for my deployment of new pc's here at work. Thanks guys! :thumbup

Fencer128

Fencer128

Fluffy

• PipPip
  • 231 posts
  • Joined 05-January 05
Hi,

I have put up RISult 1.1.0b1 for testing. There have been a couple of changes:

- File location for WatchDriverSigningPolicy.exe
- Environment variables for calling various executables used in BTS_DPs_Finish.cmd

Please can you give it a try - and if you encounter any errors/problems post them along with an attached RISultLog.txt file.

Please ensure that you have read the enclosed instructions and particualrly that you are using:

BTS method 2, GUIRunOnce, No KtD.

It can be downloaded from:

BETA now complete - see below

Thank you,

Andy

Edited by Fencer128, 16 February 2006 - 11:03 AM.

Fencer128

Fencer128

Fluffy

• PipPip
  • 231 posts
  • Joined 05-January 05
Hi,

Version 1.1.0 is now up. Fixed a couple of bugs (see enclosed changelog). Hopefully the release cycle may slow down again now... ;)

Cheers,

Andy

Edited by Fencer128, 16 February 2006 - 11:08 AM.

Resonate

Resonate

• 25 posts
  • Joined 11-January 05
hey dude you know when you amend the winnt sif

command 9 and command 10

what happened to 1-8 ?

Can I use these?

Do they get executed by the command number or the order they are in in the sif file?

Cheers

Fencer128

Fencer128

Fluffy

• PipPip
  • 231 posts
  • Joined 05-January 05
Hi,

The reason for the number choice is simply that I need to make sure that these 2 commands are the last to execute. Therefore if you want to run more than 8 commands you'll need to bump the numbers of the RISult added entries up slightly.

With regards to if it works without 1 - 8, it still works as everyone who uses RISult would not get the files cleaned at the end of the installation (which I know does occur).

You can use any of the numbers you like. The important point reagarding the BTS entries is simply that they are executed in the right order and preferably last of all.

As you correctly suppose, the commands are executed in numerical order.

Cheers,

Andy

Edited by Fencer128, 16 February 2006 - 02:08 PM.

Fencer128

Fencer128

Fluffy

• PipPip
  • 231 posts
  • Joined 05-January 05
Hi,

RISult 1.1.1 up now. Had to fix issue with sif file.

If you use the default ristndrd.sif file then there is no change.

If you use a custom sif file then after RISult has completed you will need to copy the two GUIRunOnce commands added by RISult from ristndrd.sif to your custom sif file.

You will then need to delete ristndrd.sif.

Cheers,

Andy

Fencer128

Fencer128

Fluffy

• PipPip
  • 231 posts
  • Joined 05-January 05
Hi,

RISult v1.1.2 now available. The newest BTS DP Base 6.02.4 will NOT work with previous versions.

The only change to the latest version of RISult is to restore functionality with the newest version of DP Base.

Cheers,

Andy

Fencer128

Fencer128

Fluffy

• PipPip
  • 231 posts
  • Joined 05-January 05
Hi,

RISult v1.1.3 now available.

Again, the only change is to get it working with the latest DP Base 6.02.5.

Cheers,

Andy

edie209

edie209

• 33 posts
  • Joined 27-February 06
Hi this is my first post to this fantastic site.

I have a 2003R2 domain with about 250 PCs and 40 Laptops all running XP Pro sp2, I have been using RIS with limited sucess mainly due NICs and was all but ready to give up when I stumbled onto this site.

I have been reading posts for about two weeks now so I have read quite a bit about RIS and silent installs.

I tried autoris just because the author wanted to know if it would work with win2003, but i have had no sucess so I then downloaded Risult but I'm having problems with that too almost the same message so I was hoping someone could give me a shove in the right direction.

The error message with RISULT is

line 62 of the inf file tmp\678d2f61acb214ac3214aed15b3426.sif in invalid

press any key to restart

AUTORIS had a very similar error but i failed to write down the exact error.

Thanks

I love this site

Fencer128

Fencer128

Fluffy

• PipPip
  • 231 posts
  • Joined 05-January 05
Hi,

The problem lies with your SIF file (located in the templates folder).

Please can you post your SIF file, being careful to first edit out the Windows licence key and administrator password, if present.

Cheers,

Andy

edie209

edie209

• 33 posts
  • Joined 27-February 06
Hi thanks for the reply
here is my sif file

I'm just learning so please be gentle if i have made a huge mistake

;SetupMgrTag
[Data]
AutoPartition=1
DisableAdminAccountOnDomainJoin=1
MsDosInitiated="1"
UnattendedInstall="Yes"
floppyless="1"
OriSrc="\\%SERVERNAME%\RemInst\%INSTALLPATH%"
OriTyp="4"
LocalSourceOnCD=1

[Components]
AccessOpt=Off
chat=off
deskpaper=off
freecell=off
hearts=off
hyperterm=off
media_clips=off
media_utopia=off
minesweeper=off
msnexplr=off
OEAccess=off
pinball=off
solitaire=off
spider=off
templates=off
WMAccess=off
WMPOCM=off
zonegames=off

[Display]
BitsPerPel=32
Xresolution=800
YResolution=600
Vrefresh=75

[SetupData]
OsLoadOptions="/noguiboot /fastdetect"
SetupSourceDevice="\Device\LanmanRedirector\%SERVERNAME%\RemInst\%INSTALLPATH%"

[Unattended]
AutoActivate=No
DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore
NonDriverSigningPolicy=Ignore
UnattendMode=FullUnattended
OemSkipEula=Yes
OemPreinstall=Yes
OemPnPDriversPath=
TargetPath=\WINDOWS
FileSystem=LeaveAlone
NtUpgrade=No
OverwriteOemFilesOnUpgrade=No
CrashDumpSetting=0
Hibernation=No
WaitForReboot=No

[Shell]
CustomDefaultThemeFile="%WINDIR%\Resources\Themes\royale.theme"

[GuiUnattended]
AdminPassword=Your Encrypted Password Goes Here
EncryptedAdminPassword=Yes
OEMSkipRegional=1
TimeZone=%TIMEZONE%
OemSkipWelcome=1
DetachedProgram=

[UserData]
ProductID=xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx
FullName="The admin"
OrgName="work"
ComputerName=%MACHINENAME%

[TapiLocation]
CountryCode=1
Dialing=Tone
AreaCode=716
LongDistanceAccess="9"

[TerminalServices]
AllowConnections=1

[Identification]
JoinDomain=%MACHINEDOMAIN%
DoOldStyleDomainJoin=Yes

[RemoteInstall]
Repartition=Yes
UseWholeDisk=Yes

[OSChooser]
Description="WinXP SP2 - Custom"
Help="This will install Windows XP SP2."
LaunchFile="%INSTALLPATH%\%MACHINETYPE%\templates\startrom.com"
ImageType=Flat

[Networking]
InstallDefaultComponents=Yes
ProcessPageSections=Yes

[WindowsFirewall]
Profiles = WindowsFirewall.TurnOffFirewall

[WindowsFirewall.TurnOffFirewall]
Mode = 0

Fencer128

Fencer128

Fluffy

• PipPip
  • 231 posts
  • Joined 05-January 05
Hi,

It appears though your encrypted admin password is annoying RIS. Could you try a plain text password instead?

Let me know how it goes.

Also, if you need any further instructions just let me know too.

Good luck,

Andy

Fencer128

Fencer128

Fluffy

• PipPip
  • 231 posts
  • Joined 05-January 05
Hi,

RISult v1.1.4 now available.

Again, the only change is to get it working with the latest DP Base 6.03. RISult will now only work with this version of DP Base.

Cheers,

Andy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users