need help integrating drivers

Hi,

Im having a whole new world of trouble with my pc. i tried to install windows x64 and failed, and managed to screw up my regual windows install so badly that i get blue screened constantly. but no matter, i intend to reformat and reinstall a few os's to that drive anyway.

the problem is this, which alot of people seem to have.

i have a Via K8T800 chipset. my drives are two SATA drives. when loading the drivers with F6 i get oem line errors. it dosent matter what drivers i try, the original driver disk (which never worked) the downloaded ones from abit's website, the dl'd ones from via's website. i tried integrating the drivers with nlite that didnt work.

anyway, thats my trouble, any ideas?

also, ideally, if i have to use the floppy method for drivers, does anyone know of a way i can use a usb stick instead, because i never put a floppy drive in my rig and its a pain to have to get one in there.

i figured it post in this forum because it seems to deal with sata drivers enough.

ps, im trying to install win2kpro first, its more important than x64, but id like to get that working also.

Edited by iggly

Well, just a thought...when you are doing the F6 method, is that with an original Install CD, or a custom Unattended Install CD? Cause you can't use F6 on an Unattended Install.

You could try integrating the driver...I use a method (Don't have any links handy, sorry) that requires you to hand edit a few files (TXTSETUP.SIF) by hand, but I find it's the best for stability.

As for the USB, I'm pretty sure that WinXP will recognize a USB Floppy Drive...but I'm not so sure about Win2000.

its not an original cd but a direct copy of it, i lost the real cd long ago. i used this same cd for the initial installation on the same drives and it worked. and i dont mean usb floppy but a usb flash drive.

that gets me to thinking... would i be able to F6 in some drivers when i try to install x64 off the cd i burned from the image i downloaded from ms?

Edited by iggly

Sorry about the USB thing...didn't read it all the way :)

As for the X64 question...you should be able to. You can do the F6 with any install that doesn't use an unattended answer file. If the image was downloaded from M$, then it should be a standard image and you'll be okay. But, I've never played with X64, so I don't know if they changed anything...I don't think they would have.

its not an original cd but a direct copy of it, i lost the real cd long ago. i used this same cd for the initial installation on the same drives and it worked. and i dont mean usb floppy but a usb flash drive.

that gets me to thinking... would i be able to F6 in some drivers when i try to install x64 off the cd i burned from the image i downloaded from ms?

forget x64... they basically dropped support for it when they decided to go for Longhorn/Vista (which my neighbor and the company he works for gets to beta test... lucky scum ^_^)

quick question though... why does everyone need to install SATA drivers? what's the advantage? thanks! - Tru

The benefits of SATA are speed...and since most came out after XP was pressed they don't have built-in support. Most new computers are now running SATA, as they are about the same in cost, much faster, and are soon to be the only option on newer chipsets.

The benefits of SATA are speed...and since most came out after XP was pressed they don't have built-in support. Most new computers are now running SATA, as they are about the same in cost, much faster, and are soon to be the only option on newer chipsets.

I new the benefits of SATA hardware wise, but I never new you had to install drivers to take advantage of it :blink: I've got a 74.4GB WD Raptor drive :D and didn't install the drivers for it cuz it's OEM :crazy: time to install!!!!!! :thumbup

• 3 weeks later...

@ truromeo

I know you won't be able to install sata drivers for a single raptor on any ati chipset prior to ich6. I am not sure about ich5r. You can only use f6 with pre-ich6 chipsets to setup raid arrays. The only difference you have in performance with the f6 drivers is the packet queuing (can't remember what it's called). Even with the drivers installed you probably wouldn't see much performance improvement, if at all.

The queuing was designed to enhance the performance of networks. I don't have my computer completely set up right now so I can't say what DMA mode you should be running in, I think its four. Don't worry your drive is still 10,000 rpms without f6 drivers.

hope this helps, you should also go over to WD website and check out their forums, there is a lot of detailed information about this stuff. If you do have intel chipset just read through the readme files and you will find your answer.