Short the motherboard circuit

hyunkeru

I don't know is it right to ask this question here. The thing is my friend has a P4 3.2 GHz system with one of those cheap ECS mb. I always have bad luck with them. The computer actually works fine, except it restarts irregularly. Sometimes one to two times a month, sometimes it just has no problem. I tried to reinstall the windows serveral times, and all the other component was replaced including the CPU. The computer was brought back to the computer store serveral times and it was just happen to work perfectly in the computer store every single time. It have been like it for almost a year. It give me so much headache and my friend keep bugging me to fix his computer. I just don't get it. He spent like 300 - 400 bucks for the cpu, why did he want to save the money to a cheap mb. :wacko: He is wired. I'm wondering is there anyway I would short the mb circuit without burning the mb, then I could get a replacement. Please tell me if it is possible. Thanks a lot.

-Is he overclocking his chip?

-Get the latest BIOS update! (I have an ECS board that rebooted often, ECS had a problem w/ HT CPU's and chips over 3ghz. My board works fine now)

-Check the rail voltage in BIOS . You may need to set cpu and ram values a bit higher so they don't drop too low. (2-6% should be enough.)

-Make sure you don't have the memory timing too tight. Usually making sure that CAS is set by the mobo and that it is at 2T and not in Turbo mode should provide stability.

-ECS mainly use VIA chips and though a lot of factors contribute to BSOD's, it seems VIA enjoy crashing more than others.

-Disable in BIOS, everything not used (Serial Ports, Onboard RAID if not using a SATA HD, modem, etc)

-I'm sure as this thread builds in size, you friend can read it and convince himself to get a better board (Abit, MSI, ASUS etc)