What belongs where?

fdv

Well, the documentation has been updated.

BTW, random note, if you use HFSLIP, please do NOT remove sound drivers. If you remove sound drivers, WM codecs don't work.

I use Windows 2000, without IE, using IE 5.01 shell files.

TommyP uses IE 6 SP1.

Our file lists are here:

http://www.vorck.com/2ksp5.html#hf

There is a sample list of files for an XP configuration.

That list is here:

http://www.vorck.com/hfslip.html#11

FDV, you recommend putting the WINNT.SIF file in the FIX folder, but FDVFILES folder also has WINNT.SIF.

Should we:

a. have WINNT.SIF only in the FIX folder and remove WINNT.SIF from FDVFILES folders?

b. leave WINNT.SIF in both FIX and FDVFILES folders?

Also, if I want to modify the WINNT.SIF file, is it OK to put my modified WINNT.SIF file into the FDVFILES, or should your WINNT.SIF in FDVFILES be left alone?

Edited by saugatak

hey saugatak, good question.

the dot sif file can be in either one place or the other. don't put it in both (it won't hurt anything if you do, though). you can leave WINNT.SIF in either place. FDVFILES gets copied over to I386 before FIX.

if you want to use your own, just delete mine.

mine is really from way back in the day when people would literally just download my files and plop them right into I386 and not read anything... giving them a WINNT.SIF was an easy way to get people to look into the files (hmmm, he put in a WINNT.SIF, i wonder what settings he used? maybe i'll just have a look in all of his files.)

You should call it, FDV.sif... people will be like: what the F***? is that?! And really scour it ;)

Like many people I think, I've renamed all my hotfixes to Q#######

Earlier this year when I first learned about SlipStreaming hotfixes, all the information talked about qchain, and the Q####### was recommended everywhere - but perhaps they only meant for the .cat files.

If theres something we want integrated hotfix wise, and don't see it in the above list, changing to Windows2000--KB#######-x86-ENU.exe is a safe bet for making sure its acceptable/useable?

And I think every recommended site has a different Hotfix list heh.

Edited by Crash&Burn

@Crash - The solution for filenaming is really easy. Just download it from Microsoft and put it into the HF folder. Don't rename it, just drop all the files there. ALL hotfixes will be treated this way with HFSLIP. However if you want to add in additional things like codecs and whatnot, you have to do some legwork yourself. All the instructions for that legwork is on FDVs site.

just want to emphasize that if you know people still doing legacy integration with qchain :no: , let them know that it doesn't have to be so painful... HFSLIP could be modified on your own system to slipstream anything in HF, but the whole file renaming thing is supporting a bad habit. it's the old school way of doing things, like horse and buggy, and we welcome those who've done it the hard way and have seen the light :D

as an aside between us here, what baffles me is some of those unattended guys who refuse to even try the software, or worse, tell people it doesn't work when it's pretty freakin' obvious that it does :whistle: