Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

HFSLIP, The 2K/XP/2K3 slipstreamer

* * * * * 3 votes

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
410 replies to this topic

tommyp

tommyp

MSFN Addict

• Developers
  • 1,678 posts

HFSLIP, the 2K/XP/2K3 slipstreamer

HFSLIP is a small CMD script made to slipstream hotfixes into a Windows 2000/XP/2003 source without the need for an SVCPACK folder full of unextracted hotfix executables.

Home Page

LATEST VERSION - HFSLIP 1.7.9

Download

Mini changelog HFSLIP 1.7.9:
- [XP] added support for IE8, OS recognition, MS Installer 4.5 plus lots of MS related bugs

Complete changelog
Basic how-to guide
Important notes on Windows XP Service Pack 3
Handling of Windows Internet Explorer 7
Important things to know
Advanced Features

Related links on Fred Vorck's site...
HFSLIP FAQ by TommyP and Fred Vorck
HFEXPERT and HFCLEANUP folders

HFSLIP...
* slipstreams Service Packs as well as Type 1, Type 2, and MSXML hotfixes.
* slipstreams Windows Genuine Advantage and Windows Update Agent.
* integrates the Malicious Software tool for people who can't live life seeing it as a Windows Update.
* integrates silent, switchless installers such as .NET.
* has Windows setup run your custom REG, CMD and INF files at T-13.
* force feeds hotfix registry information and the security catalog files (taken from the hotfixes you want to slipstream).
* maintains existing digital signature data on all files used for installation.
* doesn't rely on any modified DLLs for installation.
* doesn't require you to disable system file protection.
* doesn't need a winnt.sif file or require you to edit any source file.
* runs on Windows 2000 and higher.
* supports all languages.
* generates a log file which can be used to report errors.
* repacks cab files in a compression ratio of your choice.
* supports an optional answer file to automate the HFSLIP process.
* supports application addons and XPize.
* optionally slipstreams alternate applications, codecs, WINDOWS/WINNT files, Program Files files, custom drivers and AutoIt installs.
* optionally supports reduction file sets aimed at reducing your installation.
* optionally slipstreams a ramdrive for nice security.
* optionally slipstreams alternate icons.
* optionally creates bootable ISO images for testing/burning/etc.
* optionally extracts boot sectors from the Windows CD into a file called BOOT.BIN required to generate a bootable ISO image.
* optionally creates a new SPX.CAB driver package with updated driver binaries for a speedy HFSLIP process.

Windows 2000 specific features:
* it slipstreams Internet Explorer 6.
* it slipstreams DX9c (without the bloat -- no pictures of joysticks, etc.)
* the Microsoft Post-SP4 Rollup error with Hardware Abstraction Layer is resolved.
* it slipstreams WMP9.
* it slipstreams the latest WMP 9/10 codecs (does not require WMP9).

Windows XP specific features:
* it supports XP SP1, SP1a, SP2 and SP3.
* it slipstreams DX9c into Windows XP SP1 (without the bloat).
* it slipstreams WMP11 for Windows XP Pro (more info).
* it slipstreams WMP10.
* it slipstreams the latest WMP10 codecs (does not require WMP10; not intended for WMP11).

Windows Server 2003 specific features:
* it slipstreams DX9c into Windows 2003 Gold (less the bloat).
* it slipstreams the latest WMP10 codecs.

The first time HFSLIP is run, a series of subfolders are created in the HFSLIP working folder which you can then populate.
Subsequent runs will create a fully slipstreamed source in a folder called SOURCESS.

HFSLIP is to be used for installations from CD. You may have issues with other installation types.

You use hotfixes downloaded from the Microsoft servers and not from someone else.

Caution is advised if you run nLite on the SOURCESS folder (see this link for more information).

What is needed: a drive with a few gigs of free space and the ability to read.

Error Reporting.

See http://hfslip.org/support.html

Please report any issues with languages too and include the output from HFNETCHK if applicable.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks to everyone for helping out with the script!!!

Edited by tommyp, 23 May 2010 - 07:44 AM.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

pr0nstar

pr0nstar
  • Members
  • 3 posts
The HFSLIP download link points to the FDV IE removal files (sp5files.zip) and not the hfslip.zip.

tommyp

tommyp

MSFN Addict

• Developers
  • 1,678 posts
@pr0nstar - Thanks... the link is corrected.

Tomcat76

Tomcat76

MSFN Junkie

• Developers
  • 3,174 posts

Edited by Tomcat76, 04 November 2005 - 02:05 PM.

muiz

muiz

SPECIAL

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
What if i only want to slipstream wmfdist95.exe ?
Is that possible with hfslip?

Crash&Burn

Crash&Burn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts
@ muiz
Please refer to: WMP10 confusion

Tomcat76

Tomcat76

MSFN Junkie

• Developers
  • 3,174 posts
Why is WGA (LegitCheck) integration disabled? Are there "licensing issues"?

I've embedded the new WGA version just the other day into Windows XP using HFSLIP 51115 and it's working fine (except that I need to enable the addon in MSIE). So what's the problem?

Crash&Burn

Crash&Burn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts
It's discussed over here: WGA is out in updated version 1.4.389.0.
And they all seem to think that for it to work, one of the files itself has to be hacked and hexeditted.

Personally I've never slipped/or embedded it so I don't know.

Tomcat76

Tomcat76

MSFN Junkie

• Developers
  • 3,174 posts
I've been integrating LegitCheck into the Windows 2000 test installs for a few weeks now and never had a problem until a couple of days ago when I was presented a WGA download dialog on MS Downloads.

Two days ago, I read that thread you linked to so I downloaded the new version and integrated it into the test install of Windows XP. I've made two so far (the latter contains two more hotfixes) and it's working on both except that the WGA control is disabled by MSIE. Since I've never integrated this into Windows XP before (only Windows 2000), I don't know if this is expected behavior. Either way, it's easily fixed by removing a REG key as pointed out in one of the posts on that thread.

pedro80

pedro80

• Members
  • 17 posts
Hello! :D

I ran into your slipstreamer couple days ago, and I got to hand it to you: great work :thumbup

Nevertheless, I think I may have discovered a flaw (not sure if it is or if you deliberately did this). I'm slipstreaming W2k3 Sp1 with all post Sp1 fixes. What I discovered is this: after "merging" the sp1.cab into driver.cab, the script modifies DRVINDEX.INF and TXTSETUP.SIF. The problem is that in my W2k3 folder I have a DOSNET.INF file which also has references to Sp1.cab..

This generates an error during installation reminding me that Sp1.cab can't be found. I've been able to fix this by manually editing the DOSNET.INF file, just removing the line which refers to Sp1.cab. I'm not sure if my case is a special case or if DOSNET.INF normally resides in the W2k3 installation path (as I'm not very experienced in these slipstreaming processes)

My suggestion (if fix is needed), insert this in the CABCOMPACT-section, before line 2044:
IF EXIST SOURCESS\I386\DOSNET.INF (
ECHO Updating DOSNET.INF
FINDSTR /V /I "SP1.CAB SP2.CAB SP3.CAB SP4.CAB SP5.CAB" SOURCESS\I386\DOSNET.INF >WORK\DOSNET.INF
DEL /F /Q SOURCESS\I386\DOSNET.INF
XCOPY WORK\DOSNET.INF SOURCESS\I386
)

attached my ERROR_REPORT.TXT for reference (don't think it'll help in this matter though), keep up the good work :thumbup

Attached Files

saugatak

saugatak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
Pedro80

Can't help you on your problem, but your avatar cracks me up! :thumbup :w00t:

tommyp

tommyp

MSFN Addict

• Developers
  • 1,678 posts
New version up. Miscellaneous bugfixes, Oleg2 driver slipstream included, XPSP1 tweaks.

kalo

kalo

• Members
  • 38 posts
Thank you TommyP!

Now to finally try out this reduction and driver intergration stuff OlegII has got me so intrested in. Thanks again man. Keep it up!

RJARRRPCGP

RJARRRPCGP

MSFN Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts
Welp, the Windows 2000 Pro with the newest fileset from FDV, HFSLIP and the CD burn was successful.

I was worried that I wasn't gonna make the CD right.

Appears that the quick launch feature is back with this one. :thumbup

This was with an LG CD-RW drive and a Sony 700MB and 80 minute CD-R. I decided to burn it at 40x, because I was worried about the CD being corrupted.

tommyp

tommyp

MSFN Addict

• Developers
  • 1,678 posts
Updated new revision. Some new features. As usual, post any issues you have. Don't forget to read FDVs site on how to use HFSLIP.

tommyp

tommyp

MSFN Addict

• Developers
  • 1,678 posts
New version posted 1/22/06. Lots of miscellaneous bugs removed. Post any issues or submissions. Thanks!

mag01

mag01
  • Members
  • 5 posts
Hello, tried the latest HFSLIP on windows XP SP2 - Czech language version and found these issues so far:

-Windows Installer 3.1 (WindowsInstaller-KB893803-v2-x86.exe) not installed when its source is located in the HF directory. MsiExec shows version 3.00.3790.2180 right after Windows was installed. So I had to install it manually.

-Windows Update Agent 2.0 (WindowsUpdateAgent20-x86.exe) not installed when its source is located in the HF directory. Windows Update website requested the update of these components and also when I started the installation of it manually the installer didn't report that the WUA 2.0 is already installed as it normally would if it was installed.

I think that these two issues mentioned above might be a non-english Windows related - as those two relevant installers are multilanguage.

-Update 885836 (WordPad hotfix) seems to be not completely installed due to hfnetchk:
* WINDOWS XP SP2
Patch NOT Installed MS04-041 Q885836
The registry key **SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates\Windows
XP\SP3\KB885836\Type** does not exist. It is required for this
patch to be considered installed.

-Also I noticed some issues with the later nLite processing (nLite 1.0 RC5) of the Windows installation source, but haven't checked them out completely.
It seems that the nLite screws up the HFEXPERT\WIN stuff because none of the files I put there was copied to the installed Windows, but if I installed from the sources not processed by nLite everything was alright here.

mag01

mag01
  • Members
  • 5 posts
In regards to the Windows Update Agent slipstreaming:

I think I've just found the problem..
the following entries in the HFSLIP:

IF "!Localization!"=="Czech" SET LG=CZ
IF "!Localization!"=="Czech" SET LNG=CZE

should be:

IF "!Localization!"=="Czech" SET LG=CS
IF "!Localization!"=="Czech" SET LNG=CSY

instead.

By the way I don't know why there's that LNG thing used there because it doesn't appear to be used anywhere else in the HFSLIP and I think that part should be done with just LG entries just fine...

EDIT: In regards to the Windows Installer issue I've found out that this one is my own fault so I will check it out again.

Edited by mag01, 22 January 2006 - 08:24 PM.

tommyp

tommyp

MSFN Addict

• Developers
  • 1,678 posts
mag01 - Welcome to the board. A few Q's for you.
1. Are you using a virgin SP2 source? Did you run any other slipstreams on your source already?
2. Can you give me a direct download link to your problematic hotfix? I only have the english one (which slipstrams fine).

The Localization thing will get fixed in the next release (thanks for pointing that out). I haven't had any feedback from your language to confirm your language. Thanks for the tip. Changing that will only affect the windows update agent. The other variable was originally set up to decipher some hotfixes at one time.

mag01

mag01
  • Members
  • 5 posts
The source I use was slipstreamed twice. First it was to the SP1 and then to the SP2. So it's not the pure WinXP slipstreamed to the SP2 level. But only these two slipstreams with Microsofts Service Packs were done at it.

But here I must point out that I'm currently running the Win XP installed from the same source (I'm still testing the HFSLIP + nLite so I use another installation for that) with this 885836 hotfix installed manually and hfnetchk shows no problem here.

I'm currenly unable to find the original one as I haven't used it since the SP1 came out and I have some more troubles with unability to find some another things I need as well... :-(

(little off-topic: if there's anyone interested in finding some missing things for me just come in here and have a try.. :-) )

The download link to the Czech 885836 follows:
http://download.micr...836-x86-CSY.exe

Edited by mag01, 22 January 2006 - 08:58 PM.

tommyp

tommyp

MSFN Addict

• Developers
  • 1,678 posts
Your source folder should not be an issue. Does windowsupdate report the 885836 missing too? I seem to remember that hfnetchk reported that one missing for me too.

mag01

mag01
  • Members
  • 5 posts
No problem with 885836 at windows update. Just hfnetchk reports those missing registry entries. I also have some warnings about greater than expected file versions in hfnetchk, but I don't think this is a big deal.

One more thing... As you can see in the MSXML4SP2+ latest update thread, the HFSLIP first process the hotfixes and then the other files in HF directory. But in this particular case this means that if I put both the msxml4sp2 and the its post-SP2 hotfix there, the hotfix is not applied in result because the file included in the hotfix is overwritten by the older one from msxml4sp2.
Ans there might be a similar issue with media player 10 and its hotfixes.
So propably it would be better to process at least some of the non-hotfix filex located in the HF directory before the hotfixes are processed.
The best it bould be done with file version checking, but this is pribably beyon the abilities of the batch script.

Tomalak

Tomalak

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 162 posts
Hello (I'm new here),

just wanted to confirm that there are some problems with the newest releases of hfslip. I wanted to do a fresh Windows installation during the weekend (german version of XP Professional SP2) and discovered the following glitches:

1. The HFEXPERT\WIN folders where not correctly dealed with. After installation I had a "system32" directory as well as a "SYSTEM32 " directory (notice the extra space). This extra directory contained only the files I gave to hfslip. I could move them to correct "system32" directory but was unable to delete the apparently empty remaining "SYSTEM32 " directory. Windows always complained that it could not remove something like "$...$" (can't remember which letters were there), which seemed to be a file or a structure of the NTFS file system. After a reboot I got a bluescreen and could not recover the whole installation...
The same phenomenon holds true for the "drivers" subdirectory - I saw an extra "DRIVERS " (the space again) directory which was empty except the few files I expected to be there.

So I went back to an older version of hfslip, from 2006/01/17, which I fortunately still had on disk. The problem mentioned above was not there (I have no idea whether this is one of the "several small bugfixes" in the newest hfslip version from 2006/01/22, had no time to try it out yet), but I experienced another difficulty. It was also present in the 2006/01/21-version, by the way:

2. Some hotfixes are not correctly slipstreamed and not recognized the Windows Update. I had to manually install them (or let WindowsUpdate do this) after the installation of Windows. I can remember of KB898461 (the new installer), KB885836 (the Wordpad patch), KB905915 (the newest IE update), the Windows Update Agent and the WGA files in 'LegitCheckControl.cab'. I know their use is allegedly not possible at the moment, deprecated according to fdv's documentation and not mentioned on his XP pages any more, but slipstreaming them nethertheless always worked fine for me. I never had to do any additional steps when visiting Windows Update after a new Windows installation - my 'patch level' was absolutely perfect from the beginning. I'm sure this worked until one or two weeks ago - my last installation that integrated these components successfully was with hfslip version 2006/01/07, I guess. Maybe one version later, maybe one earlier, I don't know exactly. Hope this helps?

Thanks for your support, for ironing out further bugs and for providing such a great tool - it's really appreciated!

tommyp

tommyp

MSFN Addict

• Developers
  • 1,678 posts
The HFEXPERT issue was resolved with the Jan 22 release (the current one). I went a little too wild when editting the other day.

As far those other hotfixes go, can you attach your error_report file and the results from an hfnetchk report?

Edited by tommyp, 24 January 2006 - 05:28 AM.

Tomalak

Tomalak

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 162 posts

The HFEXPERT issue was resolved with the Jan 22 release (the current one). I went a little too wild when editting the other day.

Fine, thanks!

As far those other hotfixes go, can you attach your error_report file and the results from an hfnetchk report?

Okay, no problem, the error_report file is attached. But I do not use hfnetchk (it's old, not any longer supported and updated, and if WindowsUpdate is happy I'm satisfied too), so I can't give you its results. I'm not even sure whether this would help because I installed the patches afterwards and so no missing updates would be reported now.
And I need my system during the next days so I will start another installation not before mid of February... Sorry for not being able to help more - but something fundamentally must have changed during one of the updates in the last two weeks. Any others here experiencing the same difficulties (some updates apparently not slipstreamed, maybe just non-US patches)?

Oh, I almost forgot, I saved a part of the hfslip script where one the patches was processed. I'm not sure if the "file not copied" problem is normal as I saw it happen before with other files and patches and without any problems afterwards, but here it might be the reason for the missing KB898461 update:

===
Expanding 69_WindowsXP-KB898461-x86-DEU.exe
1 Datei(en) kopiert.
1 Datei(en) kopiert.
1 Datei(en) kopiert.
1 Datei(en) kopiert.
1 Datei(en) kopiert.
1 Datei(en) kopiert.
Datei nicht gefunden [file not found]
1 Datei(en) kopiert.
D:\CustomXP\HFSLIP\TEMP\UPDATE\KB898461.CAT
Integrating 69_WindowsXP-KB898461-x86-DEU.exe