HFSLIP, The 2K/XP/2K3 slipstreamer

tommyp

No, it's not silly, but those hotfixes are not freely available. You need to call MS to get these and I don't think anyone here would do that just to see if they work with HFSLIP.

Make your CD with what's supported first. If it works, add in those additional hotfixes and check again.

If you come up with a list of "kbwinxpsp3fix" hotfixes which don't work with HFSLIP you can post it in a separate thread for the community.

hi again!

i did not like to post while i have no good news yet ...

i have followed the steps, as well as priortized your suggestions (about sticking only to those hotfixes that are present in HFSLIP's website) but sadly i have not been thoroughly successful ...

i spent the entire weekend creating & trying different ISOs (either manually or HFSLIPped way of SP2 integration) in 1 PC & with another 1 running Virtual Machines ... all getting stuck this time at exactly 9 minutes remaining (while saving settings) ... in 1 attempt i even slept over it & when i woke up in the morning it was still at 9 minutes :(

could this have anything to do with networking components (though i've already tried typical & even disabled internal nic in other attempts); i'm also thinking could this involve likewise mediaplayer 10 (in 1 attempt have placed it in HF while in another in HFSVPK_SW); have also skipped the media connect file

i will try again later when i get home ... i am still hopeful! :}

hopefully, i could share some good news to you guys ... i have already downloaded both HFSLIP_60403c.7z & HFSLIP_60401.

allow me to ask --- what was the change for reversing the priority of cdimage.exe & mkisof.exe when both are present in the HFTOOLS folder?

btw, in some of my attempts too, winnt.sif doesn't seem to take the settings for time zone, workgroup & typical networking components as i still get the prompts for these ... this is despite having them declared correctly in winnt.sif &/or unattended.txt ... it seemed to take on the product keys & others ... have likewise tried winnt.si_ (just an attempt to see if there'd be any diff), same result

another thing, i seem to notice that if i do manual integration of SP2, kbbdhc.dll;kbdbhc.dl_ always results to not being found in the source folder & i always have to browse during set-up to the i386 directory ... if i let HFSLIP though do the slipstreaming, this particular prob does not show ... what gives? :)

i also encountered some other errors that had counts on it ... but i did not bring with me the screenshot (as i was not supposed to get in the forum yet :( ) i will provide the necessary attachments when i post again ...

to the rest, could you please assist me in working with HFCLEANUP to remove the other non-Eng languages & non-Eng keyboards

thanks much!

Edited by Kiki Burgh

allow me to ask --- what was the change for reversing the priority of cdimage.exe & mkisof.exe when both are present in the HFTOOLS folder?
Actually, in the 60317 version, you'd get the ISO created twice if both cdimage.exe and mkisofs.exe exist in the HFTOOLS folder. I changed that so it would only use cdimage.exe in that case (60331) but I had a talk with TommyP and we came to the conclusion that it's better to use mkisofs.exe. It shouldn't really matter... Why would one place both applications in the HFTOOLS folder anyway?
another thing, i seem to notice that if i do manual integration of SP2, kbbdhc.dll;kbdbhc.dl_ always results to not being found in the source folder & i always have to browse during set-up to the i386 directory ... if i let HFSLIP though do the slipstreaming, this particular prob does not show ... what gives? :)
Haha... The power of HFSLIP? :D

Make sure all files in the SOURCE folder are not set to read-only before (and after) integrating the service pack.

to the rest, could you please assist me in working with HFCLEANUP to remove the other non-Eng languages & non-Eng keyboards

One step at a time. Get your hfslip structure working properly first.

hi again!

thanks for the patience guys ... :)

i hope you find the attachments useful in determining what the problem might be ...

i still couldn't get past 9 minutes remaining in the setup (saving settings stage) ... what exactly is the activity during this time that makes it difficult to wrap up?

i have already encountered being stuck at 39 minutes (catalog files issue)

i have likewise encountered being stuck at 34 minutes (usb driver)

at 13 minutes, it chokes but i guess this is when some other apps are integrated

but this ... well ... i'm stumped!

i think i read in the test thread dziubek had the same problem but didn't notice any resolution

1. I have big problem. My setup stops in 9 minute near end of installation.

In spite it removal the content of catalogs: HFSVPK and HFAAO. Problem steps out from several version hfslip, but I had not time about this to write :>

pls advise :}

thanks!

-kiki-

the 1st attachment i got from running the script from the command promt

the 2nd 1 is my attempt with all the other unofficial fixes

the 3rd 1 is for my attempt with only those listed: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=62177

btw, may i ask which would be the best option among these driver compression (with A as default):

[A] merge into single Driver.cab, highest compression

merge into single Driver.cab, medium compression

[C] merge into single Driver.cab, low compression

[D] no merge, creates SPx.cab, highest compression

[E] no merge, creates SPx.cab, medium compression

[F] no merge, creates SPx.cab, lowest compression

which 1 do you use when creating your ISOs? :)

i have likewise attached my screenshots for some errors in 1 of my attempts (using VMWare & Virtual PC generated the same results)

pls note that the 1st screenshot is only 1 among many of the many HFSLP###.INF pop-up errors.

the 2nd screenshot is a proof that apparently sys had not hung but there was no more activity happening.

i've attached too my winnt.sif in case you'd want to look at it.

just like what i shared yesterday, regional & language settings, time zone, typical network components & workgroup do not work even if set

thanks again ...

-kiki-

Edited by moderator. Kiki-- Don't put your CD key in the wild...

ERROR.TXT

ERROR_REPORT.TXT

ERROR_REPORT.txt

post-84520-1144205492_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tomcat76

This file is for Windows XP SP1: Q828026.exe

These files are not supported (never tested):

DECCHECKSetup.EXE

WinColorSetup.exe

WindowsDesktopSearch-kb911993-x86-ENU.exe

ADMFiles_WindowsXPSP2.msi

CalcPlus.msi

ClearIECache.msi

MsgFilt.msi

RAWViewer.msi

TimeZoneSetup.msi

UFDSetupWizard.msi

These are not needed for a default install (and are untested):

KB832414_MSXML4.0_x86.exe

msxml4msms.exe

But I don't think removing these will fix the problem.

Are you using a clean source now (fresh CD copy)?

I don't think HFSLIP does anything to mess with the stuff that happens at T-9. Do you have an error report in the WINDOWS folder that contains more information? There should be several setup*.log and setup*.txt files there.

BTW... I edited your previous post and mentioned the reason at the end (below your name).

Edited by Tomcat76

thanks much sir!Ü

oops ... blunder about the product key Ü

i'll try to grab those error reports that you need but i'll have to create a new later when i get home ... you see everytime the installation quits on me, i delete it & copy a new source ...

i hope that it wouldn't matter that i am currently using winxp sp1 cd (i could try though a 2nd disk - Dell OEM winxp sp1) ... i am trying to look for the xp gold disk from friends but almost everyone i know have in their internet-gaming shops the winxp sp1 cd

but from what i've read, it's fine, ain't it? :)

what could you recommend though for the compression type that i would use?

i'll experiment again with new builds Ü

on the average, i get to create about 4 ISOs, aborted installations included, upon getting home & before sleeping ...

really hopeful i could hit the winning combo here ...

Edited by Kiki Burgh

Kiki, with your SP1 CD, I'm assuming you manually slipstreamed SP2, right?

Also, you need to get rid of all your extra stuff and try it once. I mean, get rid of SFCFILES.DL_ and winnt.sif, get rid of all the MSI files Tomcat mentioned, and ONLY use the hotfixes mentioned on Tomcat's page (please use this link).

Tomcat - does the ERROR_REPORT.TXT (or HFSLIP.TXT in the test releases) mention if you're using HFSLIP to slipstream an SP?

Edited by Super-Magician

i hope that it wouldn't matter that i am currently using winxp sp1 cd (i could try though a 2nd disk - Dell OEM winxp sp1) ...
Just to be sure: did you include SP2 in the HFSPACK folder?
i am trying to look for the xp gold disk from friends but almost everyone i know have in their internet-gaming shops the winxp sp1 cd
That might be a good idea to test. Slipstream SP2 and the supported hotfixes into it using HFSLIP and then install it through VM. If this works, your disks are custom made by the manufacturer you bought your computer(s) from and can't be used.
what could you recommend though for the compression type that i would use?
For now, I'd recommend using A, B or C to exclude any problems with SPX.CAB. I use B myself but it's up to you.

Do remove those additional files as Super-Magician says. You need to get a working base first.

Tomcat - does the ERROR_REPORT.TXT (or HFSLIP.TXT in the test releases) mention if you're using HFSLIP to slipstream an SP?
No, it doesn't. I'll add it in the next update... :)

thanks for these again ...

what i've done yesterday so far looks promising ... i just need to finish the rest & do some more ISOs when i get home later so i could post the results & some other comparisons ...

by the looks of it, putting nothing else aside from those posted in the web could be the key :) sad though :( that if such is the case, then i could not customize the contents of of my slipstreamed disk

If this works, your disks are custom made by the manufacturer you bought your computer(s) from and can't be used

do you mean "If this doesn't work"? :P

to answer your 1st Q,

Just to be sure: did you include SP2 in the HFSPACK folder?

yup, i did

i'll update you guys ... i wish i'm close!

Edited by Kiki Burgh

If this works, your disks are custom made by the manufacturer you bought your computer(s) from and can't be used

do you mean "If this doesn't work"? :P

No... "If this works" = "If it works using an XP Gold source from friends"...