HFSLIP, The 2K/XP/2K3 slipstreamer

tommyp

hi sirs!

i think i am getting close ... so far i have ended up with some successful builds (with different combos) & a quite few otherwise ... :)

pls know that i'm very thankful for all the support you guys have been providing ... when i'm out of the woods finally, i'll be posting for sure some other headaches for y'all ;)

i still have to create about a couple more builds to indeed validate what was/were causing my issues ... i would not want to conclude yet though withour being able to attach the error reports for you guys to comment on ... further, i would brun the ISOs 1st & install it on a PC instead of VMs ... i'll post these over the weekend though (as i've got an outta town commitment :))

Do you have an error report in the WINDOWS folder that contains more information? There should be several setup*.log and setup*.txt files there.

as for this, sadly i couldn't get the said txt files as the installations don't finish at all :(

hi sirs!

does this mean anything ... inside the Add or Remove Program, it shows HFSLIP Total Slipstream? :w00t: yahoo!

i am happy to say that i have already successfully built ISOs that are working in VMs or in real PCs ...

please find the attachments handy & kindly validate if my problem lies with the sfc_files.dll in the FIX folder ...

as per the various ERROR_REPORTs (i renamed it though for this purpose), when the said file was present in the FIX folder i always end up with aborted installations ...

please know too that among the many attempts, i likewise tried integrating all those that are not official & were handled by HFSLIP quite well (although some are not actually visible &/or usable when already in OS) :}

btw, dotnetfx 2 (even the 1 i downloaded from: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...211#entry411281 ) didn't integrate successfully as some apps still look for an installation of dotnetfx 2 ... apart from it not being present in Add or Remove Programs, this is what i see in the event viewer when i verify:

Product: Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 -- Error 1406.Could not write value DW0200 to key \Software\Microsoft\PCHealth\ErrorReporting\DW\Installed. System error . Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support personnel.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

further, during the unattended install, despite specifying that time zone = 225, it doesn't take it & always shows the default value :(

i remember seeing too on my desktop after successful installation 2 non-labeled folders which cannot be opened ... & the only 3 options i have when right clicking on these are: cut, create shortcut, & delete ... opting to delete these shows the pop-up:

post-84520-1144719639_thumb.jpg

what could these be?

now that i am out of the woods, may i ask how do i remove the cat files via HFSLIP? ;)

lastly sirs, 1 quick question ... is HFSLIP built for official hotfixes only? if so i truly respect that ... however let me just share that some errors &/or warnings found in the event viewer points to unofficial releases as resolutions ... if you like i have about 9 or 10 of those that i requested from MS via calls i made to them ... i'll be happy to upload these for your perusal ... but no biggie if not interested :whistle:

thanks a lot y'all for the guidance!

Logs.7z

Edited by Kiki Burgh

kindly validate if my problem lies with the sfc_files.dll in the FIX folder ...

The purpose of the FIX folder is to replace any existing files that are in the installation source. IIRC, sfc_files.dl_ is a non-existing file to begin with. The real filname is sfcfiles.dl_. The *main* purpose of HFSLIP, as stated on FDV's site is to slipstream critical hotfixes. Application Add Ons could work, only if the author of the AAO's thoroughly test them before posting. As some HFSLIP users found out, some authors tested and some didn't.

How do you specify your time zone? A winnt.sif file? Can you post the code for your winnt.sif for that section only? We don't need to see the entire file.

As far as your extra icons/folders on your desktop goes, this is strange. I hate to sound like a hardnose, but you can test with the tried and true hotfixes to get a grasp at HFSLIP before adding in all the extras? We asked this numerous times already. Apparantly, you are still using some crazy hotfixes that don't slipstream correctly. If the slipstream isn't correct, then your OS could be hosed and the proper registry entries aren't made.

now that i am out of the woods, may i ask how do i remove the cat files via HFSLIP? ;)
Kiki, see my post in the Test releases topic.
btw, dotnetfx 2 (even the 1 i downloaded from: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...211#entry411281 ) didn't integrate successfully as some apps still look for an installation of dotnetfx 2 ... apart from it not being present in Add or Remove Programs, this is what i see in the event viewer when i verify:

Product: Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 -- Error 1406.Could not write value DW0200 to key \Software\Microsoft\PCHealth\ErrorReporting\DW\Installed. System error . Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support personnel.

IIRC, the .NET Framework 2.0 cannot be installed via SVCPACK or GUIRunOnce. However, I do believe someone said that Zxian's installer, which you downloaded, should work. I think Tomcat should know more. (BTW, .NET 2.0 is completely different from .NET 1.1) Edited by Super-Magician

As far as I can see, the program files for .NET 2.0 are being installed with Zxian's installer, but I don't have/know about any applications that require .NET 2.0 so I can't verify if the whole program is being installed properly. I'm not into gaming....

Kiki

Regarding your time zone setting in Winnt.sif...

It ONLY works if the install is FULL UNATTEND that is just the way the lil' devil works.

I once tried setting the value in the HIVE defaults - but even that didn't work.

I had an idea that I might try using a program like resource hacker to search thru the various DLL,s and EXE's might find the value that M$ places during install - but never did the 'leg work'.

Just seemed like it was more effort than changing the zone after install.

hi!

thanks for all the comments!

@tommyp

i did create many successful builds already (& these included strictly adhering to those outlined in HFSLIP) ... & i know it works ... i'm merely trying to validate if my hunches are correct ...

i know that sfc_files.dll is supposed to come out as sort of blank file ... but then again, in all those builds (as shown by the zipped logs) --- the most common for the successful ones are those without it ...

btw, these are my entries in the winnt.sif

[GuiUnattended]

EncryptedAdminPassword=NO

OEMSkipRegional=1

OEMSkipWelcome=1

TimeZone=225

as for those 2 blank folders, i suppose these were from some addons ... i caouldn't be too sure though ...

@Electrician

i concur with that the setting of time zone working in full unattended mode because when i did that, it worked ... but for the other modes, it wouldn't even if setting it in the winnt.sif (for setup from cd) ... thanks!

@Tomcat76 & Super Magician

the applications that require 2.0 so are basically the addons (time zone, xpize) ... i just installed it after the OS installation ... it couldn't be slipstreamed/integrated ... :)

thanks y'all! :)

Edited by Kiki Burgh

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey guys its been forever since Ive been around. Things look great. I decided to do another disk so may as well get the latest stuff - so here I am.

I noticed in STEP 6 for xp:

Create a boot sector file from your Windows CD.

You need to extract a copy of your CD's boot sector using Bart's boot image extractor. (Or use Google, you'll find it easily). Put BBIE.EXE in HFTOOLS and make sure your Windows CD is in the drive. HFSLIP will extract a bootsector automatically. If, for whatever reason, you don't have a Windows CD on hand but you do have a boot sector file, rename it to boot.bin and put it in HFTOOLS.

I did it the manual way before so I thought this was really great. I had my XPcd in the cd drive when I ran HFSLIP but I don't see the boot image. Is it supposed to be in HFTOOLS? or is it supposed to be hidden? If its supposed to be hidden then how do I get nero to find it to make a bootable cd?