HFSLIP, The 2K/XP/2K3 slipstreamer

tommyp

That is odd. And you have a genuine disc from Microsoft?

Try the following. Download the attached script and place it in your HFSLIP working directory (i.e. D:\HFSLIP\). Run it with the XP CD in your drive and report what you see after it runs.

P.S. You no longer need MSICabExtract in HFTOOLS. TommyP/Tomcat removed the need for that awhile ago.

[attachment removed]

Edited by Super-Magician

I ran the getboot.cmd file and it put BOOT.BIN in the HFTOOLS folder. The file I extacted manually, way back when, with Bart's via the cmd promp is called image1.bin ?

Anyway, I re-ran HFSLIP with just bbie.exe in HFTOOLS and my XPcd in the drive and still no boot image winds up in HFTOOLS after HFSLIP does its thing :(

(also moved getboot out of HFSLIP folder)

here's the log files attached

Once you put the boot.bin in the hftools directory, type in MAKEISO instead of "I have read...." as a shortcut to make your iso. Cheers!

T P was this to me? If so please elaborate. "Type in..." where? into what?

New_Folder.zip

Edited by Outatouch

You need to have either mkisofs.exe or cdimage.exe in the HFTOOLS folder. You didn't mention having it. Since March 27/28, HFSLIP no longer fetches the boot image if neither mkisofs.exe nor cdimage.exe are detected. There's also no point in getting the boot image if it won't be used by HFSLIP.

Something else. I see you got LegitCheckControl.dll in the FIX folder. Three comments:

1) It should be compressed with MAKECAB so the extension is ".dl_". HFSLIP only *copies* the files from FIX into SOURCESS\I386; it doesn't compress them.

2) In the current final version (60422), it should only be named "LegitCheckControl.dl_" if you include a LegitCheckControl executable (ie, a hotfix type). You are including LegitCheckControl.cab instead, of which HFSLIP renames LegitCheckControl.dll to WGA1.DLL so the file in your FIX folder should be named "WGA1.DL_" (makecabbed WGA1.DLL).

3) In the current test release and the upcoming final version, *ALL* files named LegitCheckControl.dll coming from either a hotfix executable or from LegitCheckControl.cab are renamed to LCC.dll for the sake of conformity. So the file in your FIX folder will have to be called "LCC.dl_" then (makecabbed LCC.dll).

Edited by Tomcat76

OK thanks for the input. The make cab and all that will require some learning on my part. :(

If there are some step by step directions you could point me to that would be great.

In anycase, I was going off of foggy memory and FDV's directions - way back when I helped make some of it more clear to newbs like me lol. Is there an updated set of instructions anywhere? :wacko:

With LegitCheckCtrl/WinGenuinelyAnnoying, I think I tried it in the fix folder back then and it didn't work. Here I was just taking a stab at it to see if perhaps it would work that way now. It would be nice to figure out how to get that file in there just as a convienience from having to put it in sys32 post install. ;)

Edited by Outatouch

There's still another way. Just rename it to WGA1.DLL and put it in HFSLIP\HFEXPERT\APPREPLACEMENT\. The only thing you'll need to be sure of is that the file is newer than the one coming from LegitCheckControl.cab.

On the boot image subject -

so now that I have BOOT.BIN by using SuperMagician's getboot.cmd -OR- if I already had a boot image to use from before - I can empty the HFTOOLS folder and use one or the other boot image when making the final cd with nero?

There's still another way. Just rename it to WGA1.DLL and put it in HFSLIP\HFEXPERT\APPREPLACEMENT\. The only thing you'll need to be sure of is that the file is newer than the one coming from LegitCheckControl.cab.

Interesting, does this mean newer as in date the program/file was created or newer as in newer version number?

It's been a long time I used Nero; I forgot how it handles bootable CDs. I use CDIMAGE.EXE through a seperate batch file to make an ISO (the .BIN boot file is there too) and then burn the ISO with Sonic RecordNow DX 4.61. But I think any burning utility should be capable of handling ISOs... :)

HFSLIP uses the /D switch on the XCOPY command which only overwrites files if the ones in the source location are newer. The file dates are checked, not the version numbers.

• 2 weeks later...