Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

HFSLIP, The 2K/XP/2K3 slipstreamer

* * * * * 3 votes

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
410 replies to this topic

Ikky_Phoenix

Ikky_Phoenix

• Members
  • 19 posts
Ok, thanks for your time and work :D

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Sgt_Strider

Sgt_Strider

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts
I got a quick question to ask you guys. Is the ISO created by HFSLIP the same as it would be if I followed the MSFN unattended guide? Is this ISO somehow inconsistent with Microsoft's standard and or break with the standard like nlite?

Tomcat76

Tomcat76

MSFN Junkie

• Developers
  • 3,174 posts
Hi Sgt_Strider

HFSLIP doesn't do unattended installs; it slipstreams hotfixes into a Windows installation source. Hotfixes are extracted, and the files inside them are copied into the source, replacing existing files. The *.cat files are copied over as well so Windows setup knows that the updated (or new) files are OK. During Windows setup, the necessary registry settings from the hotfix installation INFs are applied so Windows Update knows that they have been installed.

Silent installers, MSI files and some hotfixes are not slipstreamed; they're integrated into the SVCPACK folder to be installed at T-13.

wela

wela

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 132 posts
:hello:
@ TC - Do you have time to refresh the hotfix list? :blushing:
THX :)

Sgt_Strider

Sgt_Strider

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Hi Sgt_Strider

HFSLIP doesn't do unattended installs; it slipstreams hotfixes into a Windows installation source. Hotfixes are extracted, and the files inside them are copied into the source, replacing existing files. The *.cat files are copied over as well so Windows setup knows that the updated (or new) files are OK. During Windows setup, the necessary registry settings from the hotfix installation INFs are applied so Windows Update knows that they have been installed.

Silent installers, MSI files and some hotfixes are not slipstreamed; they're integrated into the SVCPACK folder to be installed at T-13.

Sorry.

Does HFSLIP follow Microsoft protocols in implementing these files? Or it breaks with certain protocols like what nlite does? That is what I really want to know.

Camarade_Tux

Camarade_Tux

MSFN Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,760 posts
Using HFSLIP or updating windows once it is installed in the classic way has just the same effect. Except that if HFSLIP has been used, you can not uninstall the update as there is no 'previous' versions of the updated files.

In fact, we ensure that it has the same effect; it is meant to.

The difference is that HFSLIP saves up to 150MB on your installation CD, at least the same amount of space on your hard drive and speeds up installation.
And as far as I've understood, it is possible to update Vista just in the same way HFSLIP updates 2K/XP/2K3.

:)

Kiki Burgh

Kiki Burgh

MSFN Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,426 posts
hi TC! maybe we need to have updated HF lists, specifically from here:
(1) http://users.telenet.../_winxpsp2.html --- i use this regularly! :)
... as well as updated instructions in
(2) http://hfslip.org/howto.html ...
i think the reason why there are repetitions in terms of inquiries from some is that topics are discussed all over the place :P ... perhaps a consolidation of those discussed in:
(1) HFSLIP - Test releases
(2) HFSLIP, The 2K/XP/2K3 slipstreamer
(3) other topics
especially when it's about the latest updates (i.e., IE7, WMP11, other HFs) ... thanks!
i know you guys are busy ... especially that Christmas & New Year are getting closer ... but this would lessen inquiries (thus, less answers too ... he! he!)

Edited by Kiki Burgh, 17 December 2006 - 01:51 PM.

Tomcat76

Tomcat76

MSFN Junkie

• Developers
  • 3,174 posts
The dynamic list for XPSP2 was updated roughly three hours ago. The only thing that's missing is WMP11. I'm not sure how I should incorporate that into the list yet... :)

the_guy

the_guy

Creator of the Windows ME Service Pack

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts
I'd do it the same as how WMP10 was incorporated to the XP SP1 list.

the_guy

Super-Magician

Super-Magician

Friend of MSFN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts
@Tomcat76

When you say a silent .NET 2.0 installer is required in HFSVCPACK for Windows PowerShell 1.0 to work, would a .NET 3.0 installer suffice as it contains .NET 2.0 binaries?

Tomcat76

Tomcat76

MSFN Junkie

• Developers
  • 3,174 posts
@Super-Magician

I suppose it should. If it contains 2.0...

@the_guy

I meant for the dynamic list. WMP11 needs to be extracted into HF\WMP11. Having another section "Files that go in the HF\WMP11 folder" seems a bit too much.

Kiki Burgh

Kiki Burgh

MSFN Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,426 posts
thanks for the new final! :P

Super-Magician

Super-Magician

Friend of MSFN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts
From the website:

This is a brief explanation of the variables that HFSLIP_60624 and up accept from the answer file.

Shouldn't this be HFSLIP 1.3.0 like it says in the title for that section?

Tomcat76

Tomcat76

MSFN Junkie

• Developers
  • 3,174 posts
Yes; thanks. I updated the title but not the line below.

Kiki Burgh

Kiki Burgh

MSFN Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,426 posts
hi TC! i haven't tested yet the new test releases since i wanted to come up with a working iso from this final 1st ... however, i'd like to share that i get errors when addons get processed ... it shows something like: C:\Documents not found ... i'll be posting the screenshots tonight when i get back ... thanks!

Kiki Burgh

Kiki Burgh

MSFN Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,426 posts
hi! attached screenshot + cmd screen (in .txt) for what i posted earlier:

Attached Files

Edited by Kiki Burgh, 22 February 2007 - 01:53 AM.

S3pHiroTh

S3pHiroTh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts

hi! attached screenshot + cmd screen (in .txt) for what i posted earlier:

Your HF directory is placed in Documents and Settings? I think that Tomcat has forgot to type " in the script... if you place the HF directory in another place it should work :)

Kiki Burgh

Kiki Burgh

MSFN Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,426 posts
thanks S3pHiroTh! i used to have separate drive dedicated to HFSLIP alone ... however i recently had storage probls which prompted me to put everything on the desktop ... perhaps this could considered in the next release ;)

Kiki Burgh

Kiki Burgh

MSFN Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,426 posts
hi! still the same: Could not find ... error :(
EDIT: it'd seem it couldn't work if working with sub-dirs ...
:no: previously, my structure was: C:\Documents and Settings\Woulfe\Desktop\Kiki temp\HFSLIP\HFAAO
:no: then moved it to: D:\KIKI\HFSLIP\HFAAO
:yes: finally moved it 1 level up: D:\HFSLIP\HFAAO ... this1 worked ... with no more Could not find ... errors for addons

Attached Files

Edited by Kiki Burgh, 22 February 2007 - 04:34 AM.

S3pHiroTh

S3pHiroTh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts

hi! still the same: Could not find ... error :(

You have done the same error :sneaky:
You have created a directory with a space in its name.

Rename "Kiki temp" in "Kiki" (without quotes) and all works fine :)

P.s. Sorry for my previous explanation :P

EDIT: it'd seem it couldn't work if working with sub-dirs ...

This is not true... The bug is when there is a directory with space in their name as Documents and Settings or Kiki temp. Tomcat has forgot to type quotes (") in file paths :)
So if you have a directory with a space in its name there was that bug. Maybe this bug there is for file name too.

Edited by S3pHiroTh, 22 February 2007 - 04:36 AM.

Kiki Burgh

Kiki Burgh

MSFN Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,426 posts
got it to work with the 3rd attempt S3pHiroTh ... i was editing my post & i found out you already replied to my concern ... thanks man! ;)

Kiki Burgh

Kiki Burgh

MSFN Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,426 posts
hi! i was finally able to finish a good installation ... everything seemed well (even my HFGUIRUNONCE have been addressed :) ) ... however, ie7 wasn't installed ... ie6 instead was there ... i already got it to work in earlier test releases prior to the Feb HF releases ... i'm thinking it might be 1 of the HFs i have added or overwritten ... while i'm seeking your advise, i am sorting it out too ... please advise ... thanks!

Attached Files

Edited by Kiki Burgh, 22 February 2007 - 05:32 PM.

Super-Magician

Super-Magician

Friend of MSFN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts
Hi, Kiki Burgh! :hello:

(1) msxml4-KB925672-enu.exe is obsolete - you already have the newer version.
(2) I bet one or more of your HFSVCPACK_SW MSIs should really belong in HFGUIRUNONCE, especially ones that affect Windows Explorer/Internet Explorer 7 behavior.
(3) Make sure all of your addons are up-to-date and don't conflict with IE7.
(4) MSICabExtract.exe is obsolete.

That's all I can suggest for now, but I can't really say that I know how to deal with your IE7 problem.

Kiki Burgh

Kiki Burgh

MSFN Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,426 posts
thanks S-M! i'm going to run hfslip.cmd again ... removed about a couple-3 HFs ... i'll see ... as for the addons, i'm basically using the same set when i had successful ie7 installation ...

Tomcat76

Tomcat76

MSFN Junkie

• Developers
  • 3,174 posts
@Kiki

In your case, I suggest you use the latest test release because it slipstreams IE7 (into Windows XP). It's working fine here.

Remove the StepByStep update because it's only useful if the main StepByStep program it applies to is installed first. HFSLIP only supports one "StepByStep" exe, by the way, so this update can't be included anyway.

I had a quick look at the code that does the HFAAO folder and every "full" path appears to be quoted. I'll have to test this for real in a working folder with spaces to see what could be wrong.

Edited by Tomcat76, 22 February 2007 - 09:17 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN