HFSLIP, The 2K/XP/2K3 slipstreamer

tommyp

Hello, tried the latest HFSLIP on windows XP SP2 - Czech language version and found these issues so far:

-Windows Installer 3.1 (WindowsInstaller-KB893803-v2-x86.exe) not installed when its source is located in the HF directory. MsiExec shows version 3.00.3790.2180 right after Windows was installed. So I had to install it manually.

-Windows Update Agent 2.0 (WindowsUpdateAgent20-x86.exe) not installed when its source is located in the HF directory. Windows Update website requested the update of these components and also when I started the installation of it manually the installer didn't report that the WUA 2.0 is already installed as it normally would if it was installed.

I think that these two issues mentioned above might be a non-english Windows related - as those two relevant installers are multilanguage.

-Update 885836 (WordPad hotfix) seems to be not completely installed due to hfnetchk:

* WINDOWS XP SP2

Patch NOT Installed MS04-041 Q885836

The registry key **SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates\Windows

XP\SP3\KB885836\Type** does not exist. It is required for this

patch to be considered installed.

-Also I noticed some issues with the later nLite processing (nLite 1.0 RC5) of the Windows installation source, but haven't checked them out completely.

It seems that the nLite screws up the HFEXPERT\WIN stuff because none of the files I put there was copied to the installed Windows, but if I installed from the sources not processed by nLite everything was alright here.

In regards to the Windows Update Agent slipstreaming:

I think I've just found the problem..

the following entries in the HFSLIP:

IF "!Localization!"=="Czech" SET LG=CZ

IF "!Localization!"=="Czech" SET LNG=CZE

should be:

IF "!Localization!"=="Czech" SET LG=CS

IF "!Localization!"=="Czech" SET LNG=CSY

instead.

By the way I don't know why there's that LNG thing used there because it doesn't appear to be used anywhere else in the HFSLIP and I think that part should be done with just LG entries just fine...

EDIT: In regards to the Windows Installer issue I've found out that this one is my own fault so I will check it out again.

Edited by mag01

mag01 - Welcome to the board. A few Q's for you.

1. Are you using a virgin SP2 source? Did you run any other slipstreams on your source already?

2. Can you give me a direct download link to your problematic hotfix? I only have the english one (which slipstrams fine).

The Localization thing will get fixed in the next release (thanks for pointing that out). I haven't had any feedback from your language to confirm your language. Thanks for the tip. Changing that will only affect the windows update agent. The other variable was originally set up to decipher some hotfixes at one time.

The source I use was slipstreamed twice. First it was to the SP1 and then to the SP2. So it's not the pure WinXP slipstreamed to the SP2 level. But only these two slipstreams with Microsofts Service Packs were done at it.

But here I must point out that I'm currently running the Win XP installed from the same source (I'm still testing the HFSLIP + nLite so I use another installation for that) with this 885836 hotfix installed manually and hfnetchk shows no problem here.

I'm currenly unable to find the original one as I haven't used it since the SP1 came out and I have some more troubles with unability to find some another things I need as well... :-(

(little off-topic: if there's anyone interested in finding some missing things for me just come in here and have a try.. :-) )

The download link to the Czech 885836 follows:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/0/1...836-x86-CSY.exe

Edited by mag01

No problem with 885836 at windows update. Just hfnetchk reports those missing registry entries. I also have some warnings about greater than expected file versions in hfnetchk, but I don't think this is a big deal.

One more thing... As you can see in the MSXML4SP2+ latest update thread, the HFSLIP first process the hotfixes and then the other files in HF directory. But in this particular case this means that if I put both the msxml4sp2 and the its post-SP2 hotfix there, the hotfix is not applied in result because the file included in the hotfix is overwritten by the older one from msxml4sp2.

Ans there might be a similar issue with media player 10 and its hotfixes.

So propably it would be better to process at least some of the non-hotfix filex located in the HF directory before the hotfixes are processed.

The best it bould be done with file version checking, but this is pribably beyon the abilities of the batch script.

Hello (I'm new here),

just wanted to confirm that there are some problems with the newest releases of hfslip. I wanted to do a fresh Windows installation during the weekend (german version of XP Professional SP2) and discovered the following glitches:

1. The HFEXPERT\WIN folders where not correctly dealed with. After installation I had a "system32" directory as well as a "SYSTEM32 " directory (notice the extra space). This extra directory contained only the files I gave to hfslip. I could move them to correct "system32" directory but was unable to delete the apparently empty remaining "SYSTEM32 " directory. Windows always complained that it could not remove something like "$...$" (can't remember which letters were there), which seemed to be a file or a structure of the NTFS file system. After a reboot I got a bluescreen and could not recover the whole installation...

The same phenomenon holds true for the "drivers" subdirectory - I saw an extra "DRIVERS " (the space again) directory which was empty except the few files I expected to be there.

So I went back to an older version of hfslip, from 2006/01/17, which I fortunately still had on disk. The problem mentioned above was not there (I have no idea whether this is one of the "several small bugfixes" in the newest hfslip version from 2006/01/22, had no time to try it out yet), but I experienced another difficulty. It was also present in the 2006/01/21-version, by the way:

2. Some hotfixes are not correctly slipstreamed and not recognized the Windows Update. I had to manually install them (or let WindowsUpdate do this) after the installation of Windows. I can remember of KB898461 (the new installer), KB885836 (the Wordpad patch), KB905915 (the newest IE update), the Windows Update Agent and the WGA files in 'LegitCheckControl.cab'. I know their use is allegedly not possible at the moment, deprecated according to fdv's documentation and not mentioned on his XP pages any more, but slipstreaming them nethertheless always worked fine for me. I never had to do any additional steps when visiting Windows Update after a new Windows installation - my 'patch level' was absolutely perfect from the beginning. I'm sure this worked until one or two weeks ago - my last installation that integrated these components successfully was with hfslip version 2006/01/07, I guess. Maybe one version later, maybe one earlier, I don't know exactly. Hope this helps?

Thanks for your support, for ironing out further bugs and for providing such a great tool - it's really appreciated!

The HFEXPERT issue was resolved with the Jan 22 release (the current one). I went a little too wild when editting the other day.

As far those other hotfixes go, can you attach your error_report file and the results from an hfnetchk report?

Edited by tommyp

The HFEXPERT issue was resolved with the Jan 22 release (the current one). I went a little too wild when editting the other day.

Fine, thanks!

As far those other hotfixes go, can you attach your error_report file and the results from an hfnetchk report?

Okay, no problem, the error_report file is attached. But I do not use hfnetchk (it's old, not any longer supported and updated, and if WindowsUpdate is happy I'm satisfied too), so I can't give you its results. I'm not even sure whether this would help because I installed the patches afterwards and so no missing updates would be reported now.

And I need my system during the next days so I will start another installation not before mid of February... Sorry for not being able to help more - but something fundamentally must have changed during one of the updates in the last two weeks. Any others here experiencing the same difficulties (some updates apparently not slipstreamed, maybe just non-US patches)?

Oh, I almost forgot, I saved a part of the hfslip script where one the patches was processed. I'm not sure if the "file not copied" problem is normal as I saw it happen before with other files and patches and without any problems afterwards, but here it might be the reason for the missing KB898461 update:

===

Expanding 69_WindowsXP-KB898461-x86-DEU.exe

1 Datei(en) kopiert.

1 Datei(en) kopiert.

1 Datei(en) kopiert.

1 Datei(en) kopiert.

1 Datei(en) kopiert.

1 Datei(en) kopiert.

Datei nicht gefunden [file not found]

1 Datei(en) kopiert.

D:\CustomXP\HFSLIP\TEMP\UPDATE\KB898461.CAT

Integrating 69_WindowsXP-KB898461-x86-DEU.exe

0 Datei(en) kopiert [huh?]

241 COMPLETE

Processing Windows Update

Completed 69_WindowsXP-KB898461-x86-DEU.exe

===

ERROR_REPORT.TXT

No hfnetchk = no idea on what's wrong and how to fix your issues. Strange that you say it's no longer supported. It works fine for me (and others too).

Sorry, this was clearly my fault - but as there is now a HFNetChk Pro version 5 and the free version still is 3.86 I believed it to be rather abandoned (it is in fact quite old, its date is 2002/11/20). And I can remember reading something about HFNetChk and especially its data (the mssecure.cab / mssecure.xml available for the free version) not any longer being updated, this was over one or two years ago (I think it was linked to something that had to do with the introduction of SP2)? But I can't find the source of this claims now or any online article backing this, so this is apparently a mistake on my side - it could of course still be working (and using for example Microsofts mssecure.cab; HFNetChk is a part of MBSA, if I'm informed correctly).

I'll set up a virtual machine during the weekend and try out the new hfslip release from 2006/01/22 there. If the errors are gone - fine, otherwise I'll install hfnetchk as you wanted and give you its results directly after the installation of Windows (when the mentioned updates still are missing).

Thanks!