HFSLIP, The 2K/XP/2K3 slipstreamer

tommyp

New version posted. Microsoft released new WGA yesterday, new HFSLIP takes care of it. This version includes Tomcat76's Service Pack Slipstreamer & his MSXML Slipstreamer. Thanks Tomcat76, you rock dude! Also included is some minor bugfixes that creep up time after time.

If anyone else likes coding and wants their commandline "plug in" inserted into the script, post your working code. Please be sure to verify functionality with different OSs because I don't troubleshoot other people's code.

Remember, if you have any hotfix errors, read up on what info I need to process your request. Read the FAQs too.

Enjoy!

Next round..... A fully patched, W2K with a footprint of less than 280 meg (with IE6 or without IE altogether). Stay tuned.

If you are seeing a "File is not a PE File" message fly by when HFSLIP is running, there is no need for panic. When you see this message you are using the HFEXPERT folder. HFSLIP is trying to fix whatever that modifype does to binaries. This makes windows to go through the setup without complaints. There is nothing wrong with this PE file message.

If you don't want the WGA, then don't put the cab file in the HFCABS folder.

Strange how I can't edit the first post on this thread. I haven't time to figure out how to do it today. The new version is up, HFSLIP_60206 (see link on first post of this thread).

Brief changes....

WMP10 svcpack'd (for those who want it)

DX9C slipstream section revamped. Now works with 2ksp4, xpsp1 and 2003 gold

and as usual some odds and ends.

First I'll be up-front and say I was probably trying to run before walking, as I'm trying to build a HFSLIP CD of not just a Win 2000 but all 3. We have an original Win2000 MSDN CD which contains a boot loader that prompts for your choice of Professional, Server or Advanced Server. The CD contains sub-folders with installation sources for all 3. Files which are common to all 3 are hard-linked so the whole original CD is quite a bit less than 650MB.

For each of the 3, I separately copied the I386 structure off the CD onto disc, ran the HFSLIP on it and then moved the patched I386 to a new folder structure. I then copied the other contents of the original MSDN CD into the new structure and re-linked all files which have the same name, size & checksum. I took the BOOT.BIN from the MSDN CD and burnt the ISO using the same mkisofs flags I found in the HFSLIP_60129.CMD file. No extra flags were needed to preserve the hard links.

The resulting CD boots ok and offers the menu of the 3 versions. Upon selecting one (same problem on all 3) the normal Win 2000 installation proceeds until just after starting the GUI phase of setup. Then I get an error dialogue whose text is saved in SETUPERR.LOG

I read through the web site again and the other documentation. The WU.TXT is taken from the host machine I used, not the intended target. The other log files are from the target. I've also included TREE.TXT which shows the folder structure on the CD. Note that when prompted in HFSLIP I told it the I386 was in "ENGLISH/WIN2000/PRO/" for example.

Could anyone take a look at the attached logs and see if I've done anything wrong ?

Many thanks.

HFS_ERR.ZIP

Although I can't really help you with your setup errors (I'm not very good with multiboot CDs), I do want to let you know that some of the DX9 cabs you placed in HFCABS are ignored by HFSLIP. Please consult Tomcat's list of Win2000 updates to see which files you need.

Also, try using the latest version of HFSLIP, 60208.

-- Super-Magician :)

Edited by Super-Magician

Hello

can someone help me, I want to slipstream Microsoft Update (muweb.dll)

i've found a "hack" just copy the dll to the system32 folder and regsvr32 it but i wanted toi know if it can be slipstreamed with hfsilp.

i use my cd made with hfslip it at work (oem pre install) but this muweb thing makes me crazy... :wacko:

If that file is an "extra" meaning that there no muweb.dll (or muweb.dl_) in your source\i386 folder, then you can place it in a folder that you need to create alongside your hfslipxxxx.cmd file: HFEXPERT\CODECS. Any files you place here are copied to the system32 folder and registered. Please refer to the HFSLIP info site about codecs (step number 15). You need to download some tools for your HFTOOLS folder when you do this (modifpe). All this info is on FDV's instructional site.

If that file is part of the source\i386, then rename your muweb.dll to muweb.dl_ and place it into the fix folder.

Edited by tommyp