FDV Files - Remove More Stuff

saugatak

Removed Help Files:

The only problem I had, after assuring myself that I didn't need them...(google is your friend)...

Was when I started using some command-line tools I wasn't familiar with, only to realize, that their help wasn't internalized like old DOS commands, they actually had .hlp .cnt files.

Crash&Burn

I agree with you that Help files sometimes are usefull. But to tell the truth I used them very-very raraly :blushing: And I want to remove them on a system that uses fdv's set of files where you even can't open CHM and HLP files (well, you can if you run one INF from the disk, but Help Sysem will still be broken anyway).

PS I still save a couple of CHM files with command refference and shortcuts somewhere in my Docs :whistle:

Well I did some testing to see what Help accesses when an installed App's helpfile is opened:

Help on FileMon, WINNT files accessed:

C:\WINNT\winhlp32.exe

C:\WINNT\system32\shim.dll

C:\WINNT\system32\sysmain.sdb

C:\WINNT\AppPatch\AcSpecfc.dll

C:\WINNT\AppPatch\AcLayers.dll

C:\WINNT\system32\MSVCP60.dll

C:\WINNT\system32\PSAPI.DLL

I think it would be worthwhile keeping support for opening help files, if its not difficult :)

One could even move all the files, that get removed when purging IE, to another path

like %systemroot%\HELPFILES and add that to the %PATH%

Well just my .02

PS. And if not, how would one do that, just add $0EM$/$$/HELPFILES/

Like how $OEM$/$$/SYSTEM32 is used?

Attached is a test for, FileMon, IrfanView: both use winhlp32.exe, and Kerio PF, Lockergnome tips: which use hh.exe

An interesting note, the hh.exe will check for the existence of the directories:

---> D:\Programs\Internet Explorer\Connection Wizard

---> D:\Programs\Internet Explorer\

but doesn't access any files within.

Edited by Crash&Burn

Crash&Burn

You can unable Help files openning by running winhtml.inf from disk after installation. Then you can open CHM and HLP files. But some of the funcions will be broken.

I install this functionality by default ;) Slitely modified winhtml.inf and made it run during unattended B)

And we would like to remove Help files only for those who want it (you will have the option and may not remove if you don't want it :yes:

I'm playing around with the CMD file tommyp introduced me. It removes all CHM, CNT and HLP files from the source, modifies txtsetup.sif and dosnet.inf. I wonder should I add modifying LAYOUT.inf as it works even if modifying only txtsetup.sif.

And there are some difficulties with some files - some other INFs are calling for them so I also need for modifying them with the batch.

All

Amazing! This is just Amazing!

Just tried HFSLIP+FDV+NLITE and this is amazing! Windows 2000 Pro with SP4, latest hotfixes, DirectX 9C, configured and tweaked and All my programs and important documents are on 250MB disk only (!) installing just in 15 minutes!

I have only half of a an hour to look throgh my appz but all seems working without issues. Will experiment more B)

But I should say that I'm going to try removing as much files as possible with only CMD method ;) nLite is a GREAT program but you have to learn it and it needs .NET and installing. And I'm lazy ;) ®

tommyp

Have you tried my CHM-HLP removal file? It removes from the resulting source some more MBs (about 5 megs will be free additionally).

Edited by Oleg_II

@saugatak: How about removing the actual files along with the shortcuts?

[startMenuGroups];Accessibility = %accessibility%,0

[Accessibility]

;%magnifier% = magnify.exe,magnify.exe,,0,%magnifier_infotip%

;%reader% = narrator.exe,narrator.exe,,0,%reader_infotip%

;%screenkeyboard% = osk.exe,osk.exe,,0,%screenkeyboard_infotip%

;%utilman% = utilman.exe,"utilman.exe /start",,0,%utilman_infotip%