Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

FDV Files - Remove More Stuff

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

saugatak

saugatak

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  • Joined 15-July 05
@FDV, not meant to criticize your fileset because it's fantastic, especially with regard to the main culprit, IE. The rest are just cleanup. I find your story of the Italian company that gladly used your fileset to rip out IE funny.

I'd bet that with IE7 coming on but not being available for Win2k, and M$ history of providing security patches on older systems ranging from late to never, there has to be tons of CIOs/CTOs Win2k thinking . . . "We gotta get rid of IE6 because after IE7, M$ will never update it."

I agree that 2 filesets are crazy. My idea was, get rid of everything and then have an optional install INF, if that's possible. It doesn't have to be limited to the above mentioned programs.

I just don't know if the "Master Install INF" idea s doable because I don't know the dependencies on the INFs like you do.

I'm surprised anyone still uses the OS/2 subsystem, but I probably shouldn't be as the people who use your fileset are probably doing all sorts of stuff that your standard user would not touch.

Let us know how you and Oleg are doing on the .chm removal project and if I can help in any way.

Edited by saugatak, 10 October 2005 - 05:30 PM.

Posted Image

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

tommyp

tommyp

MSFN Addict

• Developer
  • 1,681 posts
  • Joined 09-January 04
@Oleg - That batch file mods the mdac.inf file too. It's automated.

Here's that site I based that mdac removal stuff. http://jdeboeck.msfnhosting.com/
His batch files are for XP, but most of the 2k file names are unchanged. Try giving it a try and test with VM. Report if you find something good. FWIW, FDV's fileset is pretty **** lean. I like it, but I'm hopelessly hooked to IE6 w/maxthon. I tried firefox and mozilla, but I can't get the favorites/bookmarks to stay resident on my d partition when I reinstall.
Posted Image

Oleg_II

Oleg_II

• PipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts
  • Joined 06-August 04
tommyp
We have messed up in you "Codecs" thread. Could you move our last few messages in this thread?

As for FireFox. It saves all favorits only in one HTML file easy to handle and you can do the following:

1. Install Firefox without plugins and arrage all it's settings according to your liking.

2. Type in address bar about:config , find and chage accordingly (if there is no key - create it):
browser.bookmarks.file string D:\Docs\Safe\bookmarks.html
Your bookmark.html with all your favorits will be saved in D:\Docs\Safe (the path is up to you).

3. Creat somewhere FFProfile folder (or call it how you like) and place two files in it: localstore.rdf and prefs.js (in your case only the second file is important and you can even rename it into user.js for sure, the first one is for View preferences and you can omit it). Create a SFX archive from FFProfile folder that will place it say in %programs%\"Mozilla Firefox" during unattended.

4. Find and open profiles.ini from in %UserProfile%\Oleg 2\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox and edit:
[General]
StartWithLastProfile=1

[Profile0]
Name=Oleg2
IsRelative=0
Path=C:\Appz\Mozilla Firefox\FFProfile
Default=1

I also place profiles.ini in SFX archive that extracts in %UserProfile%\Default User\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox replacing other file (in fact I have only one SFX that do all the jobs like this for FireFox, Thunderbird, Open Office and a few more programs).

5. Before running FireFox first time make sure you place your bookmark.html in the folder specified.

You are done!

Unfortunatelly you can't just specify your favorites in winnt.sif, you have to save one file with favorits somewhere on you disk but one HTML file is easy to save and you can take it on any computer even without FireFox and use it as a link page to reach your favorits :)

Edited by Oleg_II, 11 October 2005 - 08:48 PM.

Posted Image

fdv

fdv

MSFN Expert

• Developer
  • 1,111 posts
  • Joined 16-July 04

I think the registry still gets littered with POSIX and OS/2 keys

saugatak, open up my IE.IN_ and search for "OS2 Subsystem"
uncomment these values, save the file. as strongbad says, "DELETED!!" :D
note: i'll add the POSIX stuff.
in fact, if you guys give me registry info (INF format please, but if it has to be REG format, that's okay) then i will add it to this file.

saugatak

saugatak

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  • Joined 15-July 05
@FDV, IE.IN_ is a prodigious amount of work.

Couple of comments. In your original IE.IN_, you refer to "HKLM,SYSTEM\ControlSet002" registry keys and subkeys.

For some weird reason, there are ""HKLM,SYSTEM\ControlSet001" and "HKLM,SYSTEM\ControlSet003" keys and subkeys, but no "ControlSet002" keys and subkeys in my Windows registry, both on this XP machine and on my VM HFSLIP FDV Win2k.

I have no idea why the registry skips from "ControlSet001" to "ControlSet003" but that seems to be the case :wacko:

I think a search and replace of "ControlSet002" to "ControlSet003" will do the trick.

With that said, below are the keys I found which should be "uncommented" to get rid of OS2 and POSIX:

; POSIX Subsystem
;
HKLM,"SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Session Manager\Subsystems","Optional"
HKLM,"SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Session Manager\Subsystems","Posix"
HKLM,"SYSTEM\ControlSet003\Control\Session Manager\Subsystems","Optional"
HKLM,"SYSTEM\ControlSet003\Control\Session Manager\Subsystems","Posix"
HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Subsystems","Optional"
HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Subsystems","Posix"
;
; OS2 Subsystem
;
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\""OS/2 Subsystem for NT""
HKLM,"SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Session Manager\Environment","Os2LibPath"
HKLM,"SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Session Manager\SubSystems","Os2"
HKLM,"SYSTEM\ControlSet003\Control\Session Manager\Environment","Os2LibPath"
HKLM,"SYSTEM\ControlSet003\Control\Session Manager\SubSystems","Os2"
HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment","Os2LibPath"
HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\SubSystems","Os2"

Note: OS2 keys from FDV with "ControlSet002" replaced with "ControlSet003"
Posted Image

tommyp

tommyp

MSFN Addict

• Developer
  • 1,681 posts
  • Joined 09-January 04
@Oleg - Thanks for the FF tips. I'll test them out tonite. Also, I de-cluttered the codec thread. :)
Posted Image

Crash&Burn

Crash&Burn

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 364 posts
  • Joined 11-March 05
Removed Help Files:

The only problem I had, after assuring myself that I didn't need them...(google is your friend)...
Was when I started using some command-line tools I wasn't familiar with, only to realize, that their help wasn't internalized like old DOS commands, they actually had .hlp .cnt files.

Oleg_II

Oleg_II

• PipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts
  • Joined 06-August 04
Crash&Burn
I agree with you that Help files sometimes are usefull. But to tell the truth I used them very-very raraly :blushing: And I want to remove them on a system that uses fdv's set of files where you even can't open CHM and HLP files (well, you can if you run one INF from the disk, but Help Sysem will still be broken anyway).

PS I still save a couple of CHM files with command refference and shortcuts somewhere in my Docs :whistle:
Posted Image

Crash&Burn

Crash&Burn

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 364 posts
  • Joined 11-March 05
Well I did some testing to see what Help accesses when an installed App's helpfile is opened:
Help on FileMon, WINNT files accessed:

C:\WINNT\winhlp32.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\shim.dll
C:\WINNT\system32\sysmain.sdb
C:\WINNT\AppPatch\AcSpecfc.dll
C:\WINNT\AppPatch\AcLayers.dll
C:\WINNT\system32\MSVCP60.dll
C:\WINNT\system32\PSAPI.DLL

I think it would be worthwhile keeping support for opening help files, if its not difficult :)
One could even move all the files, that get removed when purging IE, to another path
like %systemroot%\HELPFILES and add that to the %PATH%
Well just my .02

PS. And if not, how would one do that, just add $0EM$/$$/HELPFILES/
Like how $OEM$/$$/SYSTEM32 is used?

Attached is a test for, FileMon, IrfanView: both use winhlp32.exe, and Kerio PF, Lockergnome tips: which use hh.exe
An interesting note, the hh.exe will check for the existence of the directories:
---> D:\Programs\Internet Explorer\Connection Wizard
---> D:\Programs\Internet Explorer\
but doesn't access any files within.

Edited by Crash&Burn, 12 October 2005 - 05:26 PM.

Oleg_II

Oleg_II

• PipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts
  • Joined 06-August 04
Crash&Burn
You can unable Help files openning by running winhtml.inf from disk after installation. Then you can open CHM and HLP files. But some of the funcions will be broken.
I install this functionality by default ;) Slitely modified winhtml.inf and made it run during unattended B)

And we would like to remove Help files only for those who want it (you will have the option and may not remove if you don't want it :yes:

I'm playing around with the CMD file tommyp introduced me. It removes all CHM, CNT and HLP files from the source, modifies txtsetup.sif and dosnet.inf. I wonder should I add modifying LAYOUT.inf as it works even if modifying only txtsetup.sif.
And there are some difficulties with some files - some other INFs are calling for them so I also need for modifying them with the batch.
Posted Image

tommyp

tommyp

MSFN Addict

• Developer
  • 1,681 posts
  • Joined 09-January 04
Shhhhh. FDV+HFSLIP+NLITE works. Just don't remove IE when running Nlite. .....Shhhhh.
Posted Image

Crash&Burn

Crash&Burn

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 364 posts
  • Joined 11-March 05
Hehehe and next we'll see, HFNSlipLite ;)

Oleg_II

Oleg_II

• PipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts
  • Joined 06-August 04
All
Amazing! This is just Amazing!

Just tried HFSLIP+FDV+NLITE and this is amazing! Windows 2000 Pro with SP4, latest hotfixes, DirectX 9C, configured and tweaked and All my programs and important documents are on 250MB disk only (!) installing just in 15 minutes!

I have only half of a an hour to look throgh my appz but all seems working without issues. Will experiment more B)

But I should say that I'm going to try removing as much files as possible with only CMD method ;) nLite is a GREAT program but you have to learn it and it needs .NET and installing. And I'm lazy ;) ®

tommyp
Have you tried my CHM-HLP removal file? It removes from the resulting source some more MBs (about 5 megs will be free additionally).

Edited by Oleg_II, 15 October 2005 - 08:04 PM.

Posted Image

Crash&Burn

Crash&Burn

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 364 posts
  • Joined 11-March 05
@ Oleg II
NLite can run w/o .Net, he hosts alternate runtimes on his site. If you don't want to install .Net, you fetch those, has some dll's I believe.

tain

tain

Cyber Ops

• Super Moderator
  • 3,683 posts
  • Joined 24-September 05

Donator

@saugatak: How about removing the actual files along with the shortcuts?

[StartMenuGroups];Accessibility = %accessibility%,0

[Accessibility]
;%magnifier% = magnify.exe,magnify.exe,,0,%magnifier_infotip%
;%reader% = narrator.exe,narrator.exe,,0,%reader_infotip%
;%screenkeyboard% = osk.exe,osk.exe,,0,%screenkeyboard_infotip%
;%utilman% = utilman.exe,"utilman.exe /start",,0,%utilman_infotip%

saugatak

saugatak

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  • Joined 15-July 05
Tain, look at first post of this thread. I think this is what I suggested, based on tips from FDV.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users