Network problem

celzius

I have a network consisting of 10 computers connected onto a single workgroup sharing an internet connection and running file and printer sharing. I recently got a new laptop and want to connect it to the same internet connection. I also want to share files off one of the computers and the laptop that I don't want to be shared across the whole network.

network.png

How can I come about doing this??

I have a network consisting of 10 computers connected onto a single workgroup sharing an internet connection and running file and printer sharing. I recently got a new laptop and want to connect it to the same internet connection. I also want to share files off one of the computers and the laptop that I don't want to be shared across the whole network.

Me neither...

Okay... I have a two computers 'A' & 'B' and a workgroup consisting of 9 computers 'C'. I want 'A' & 'B' sharing drives (for example C:\ on both). I alsow want 'A' & 'B' to join the workgroup 'C' but only share a limited set of folders (i.e. I don't want to share C:\ on the network... only between 'A' & 'B') How can I do this??

I hope that was clearer :blushing:

You can't really limit who can see the shares, only who can access them. All you have to do is create a new user for the privately shared documents and give only access to that user.

Could you not create a hidden share, or set of hidden shares, by appending them with "$" ? Those users who are to be allowed access to the shared folders could be provided with desktop shortcuts to them, by whatever name(s) you wish to use.

I'm no expert on this topic, but it seems to me that Group Policies might help. Although that discussion might be outside the scope of this discussion.

Exactly. If you want a Share do be hidden just use $.

It will do the trick. I also suggest you use Computer Managment (Right Click My Computer, Manage) to do your shares.

I dont think you can do what you want. However, using Group Policies, you can do a safe share. Limiting access to folder for certain users.