FIX folder prob: NTDETECT.COM and ntldr

saugatak

FDV, I put the XP version of NTDETECT.COM and ntldr in the FIX folder. When I look at SOURCESS/I386 folder, however, Win2k NTDETECT.COM and ntldr are present.

Also, the HFSLIP'd Win2k install on VMWare has the Win2k version of NTDETECT.COM and ntldr.

What am I doing wrong?

just FYI, i changed the thread title to make it clearer.

i'll defer to tommyp on the 'why' though because i am not sure.

mine actually works fine. are you using the latest (october) version of HFSLIP?

Edited by fdv

@FDV, using latest HFSLIP and FDV fileset I believe as now I download the latest just before running HFSLIP.

My error log is attached.

P.S. I think Oleg's idea to remove help files is a good one. They're pretty much useless and if you can run HFSLIP, you can Google, hit M$ knowledge base and MSFN forums to find the answer you need anyway.

ERROR_REPORT.TXT

@tommyp

It is not a dumb question, but I am 100% sure I put in XP files because this computer I am using now is XP, and I used its NTDETECT.COM and ntldr. I compared dates and filesizes, and the NTDETECT.COM and ntldr in FIX are bigger files and later dates than the Win2k NTDETECT.COM and ntldr.

This is the computer I want to rebuild with HFSLIP FDV Win2k because XP is slowing this computer down a lot.

I'm doing some more work on FDV's files and I'll run HFSLIP again.

I've been researching what files to take out of the OS/2 subsystem (which IMO is completely extraneous) and will post shortly.

Edited by saugatak

My FDV/NoIE installs and runs great as long as I stay away from ntdetect and ntldr :)

If I drop those file into FIX and then HFSLIP/ISO/VMWARE as usual, I get the attached BSOD about an inaccessible_boot_device. If those files are NOT in FIX and I HFSLIP/ISO/VMWARE as usual, everything runs fine.

I've read in other forums that using NTDETECT.COM and ntldr does lead to a faster boot so I'd like to get it in there and give it a shot.

@TommyP and FDV, is it possible to just replace the NTDETECT.COM and ntldr in SOURCESS/I386 if the FIX folder method doesn't work?

saugatak and tommyp:

in line 298: IF EXIST FIX COPY /Y FIX\*.* SOURCESS\I386

the copy-command can't see the hidden files NTDETECT.COM and ntldr

perhaps ATTRIB -S -H FIX\*.* might help?

@ tommyp

Also, if you want, you can use xcopy instead of the copy command...

try this: (it copies hidden, system files and overwrites old and read-only files without confirm)

IF EXIST FIX XCOPY /H /R /Y FIX\*.* SOURCESS\I386

@saugatak - I'm not going to release it just yet. Why not open a dos window in your HFSLIP folder. Type in

IF EXIST FIX XCOPY /H /R /Y FIX\*.* SOURCESS\I386 and see what happens. Also, check to see if those files have a hidden attribute and/or check capitalization.

@tommyp, I'm not as tech savvy as you are so this is how I interpreted what you suggested:

I opened a DOS window and CD to HFSLIP director. Then I typed "IF EXIST FIX XCOPY /H /R /Y FIX\*.* SOURCESS\I386"

In my FIX folder I had the following files:

1) Win XP SP2 version of NTDETECT.COM

2) Win XP SP2 version of ntldr

3) notepad.ex_ (made using Oleg's method, replace notepad with win32pad)

4) WINNT.SIF

The results were:

F:\HFSLIP IF EXIST FIX XCOPY /H /R /Y FIX\*.* SOURCESS\I386

FIX\notepad.ex_

FIX\WINNT.SIF

2 files copied.

By see what happens I guess you mean check the SOURCESS folder to see if the latest NTDETECT.COM and ntldr are included? I did that and both are still Win2k versions.

@saugatak

in my system my method works...

however can you use the method posted by murvun?

just to test if it works.

go in hfslip director and type:

ATTRIB -S -H FIX\*.* (no output is done)

IF EXIST FIX COPY /Y FIX\*.* SOURCESS\I386

(output the files copied)

Edited by lupo