Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

October 2005 Security Updates

* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

dziubek

dziubek

Friend of HFSLIP

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 229 posts

@dziubek - What's going on? Welcome back. Haven't seen you post in a while. Since I last heard from you, HFSLIP went under serious reconstruction. I guess I missed a few things, as you pointed out.
a. WindowsXP-KB898461-x86-PLK.exe - HFSLIP had a typo (now corrected and posted)
b. WindowsXP-KB887472-x86-SP1-PLK.exe - you are slipstreaming the incorrect version, grab the version for SP2. For english the filename is WindowsXP-KB887742-x86-ENU.exe, for you is is most likely WindowsXP-KB887742-x86-PLK.exe. Google for it and use that file instead.
c. WindowsXP-KB890046-x86-PLK.exe - This confuses me. Are you sure that your hotfix isn't corrupted? When I try your exact hotfix file, HFSLIP works. I fixed this issue a while ago. Perhaps you should re-download it and replace the one you have.
Please test the current HFSLIP and report back.

a) WindowsXP-KB898461-x86-PLK.exe was integrated corectly :))
b ) YES you are right,I'm slipstreaming the incorrect version,
corectly version is WindowsXP-KB887742-x86-PLK.exe
(WindowsXP-KB887472-x86-SP1-PLK.exe is old version for windows XP PL sp1 :>). BIG THANKS,You have Hawk eye :))
c)WindowsXP-KB890046-x86-PLK.exe-> I re-download this file and replaced the one I have ,but it didn't integrated with my OS :(
p.s I will sent report later,because I write this post at work.

Edited by dziubek, 15 October 2005 - 08:07 AM.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

megablast

megablast
  • Members
  • 2 posts

c)WindowsXP-KB890046-x86-PLK.exe-> I re-download this file and replaced the one I have ,but it didn't integrated with my OS :(
p.s I will sent report later,because I write this post at work.

I do have the same problem.

I found a solution for "my" problem:

The KB89046 fix in hfslip:

IF EXIST TEMP\spru0415.dll REN TEMP\spru0415.dll xpsp3res.dll

The filename in german version is spru0407.dll, so I changed the line to this:

IF EXIST TEMP\spru04*.dll REN TEMP\spru04*.dll xpsp3res.dll

The spru04*.dll naming because according to the sp2gdr and sp2qfe infīs name should always include "04".

Maybe this works for you, too.

@tommyp
May check out other languages and add this "fix" to your GREAT hfslip.

Edit:
KB906569 uses same naming conventions as KB89046 -> KB906569 uses an updated xpsp3res.dll.
Slipstreaming here has to be checked if it works.

Adding cat of KB89046 + registry info, but using new file of KB906569.

Edited by megablast, 15 October 2005 - 03:12 PM.

tommyp

tommyp

MSFN Addict

• Developers
  • 1,678 posts
@megablast - Thanks! I can't test other languages... Not enough time in the day to test all of them! :). Thanks for getting to the bottom of that hotfix... should be a non-issue now. BTW, you'd be amazed how many errors I have uncovered with HFSLIP. It's freaking amazing that a company as large as m$ft has such poor configuration management. I'll update the next version... BTW, the new version will have some cool stuff.

megablast

megablast
  • Members
  • 2 posts

@megablast - Thanks! I can't test other languages... Not enough time in the day to test all of them! :). Thanks for getting to the bottom of that hotfix... should be a non-issue now. BTW, you'd be amazed how many errors I have uncovered with HFSLIP. It's freaking amazing that a company as large as m$ft has such poor configuration management. I'll update the next version... BTW, the new version will have some cool stuff.

;) No problem.

I found another problem with an update, not hotfix: KB906569 (updates msconfig and xpsp3res.dll).

Could you please take a look?

I played a bit with hfslip and could get no solution for this. It is an SP2QFE update, and hfslip deletes
SP2QFE folders and infs, to get it working I had to create an switchless installer.
I didnīt want to change the type 1 slipstreaming code.

Maybe you can find something.

Edit:
A suggestion: Playing around with this issue, I got an idea for hfslip:
While slipstreaming KBxxxxxx.exe and there is no filecopy to WORK\I386X could you may include a kind
of "debug.log" for this? So it will be easier to find those kind of errors.
The "normal" updates are not scanned by hfnetchk or mbsa and there is no guarentee that they are really integrated.
And there are many of them, as you can see here:
http://www.pc-experi...?threadid=12223

Edit2:
Um :( , this is even more worse then I thought. The following os updates, non sec, donīt get integrated when using hfslip (placed in HF folder):

All these are SP2QFE type ONLY updates. There are probably more.
Some of them are not needed (if you donīt use OfficeXP, Adobe Premiere etc.), but some of them are.

Edited by megablast, 16 October 2005 - 12:11 AM.

tommyp

tommyp

MSFN Addict

• Developers
  • 1,678 posts
Yea, I knew about the QFE ones. I was told a while back that these fixes are experimental and not really official. I'll see what I can do about adding this in for the next release.

dziubek

dziubek

Friend of HFSLIP

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 229 posts
:thumbup

Attached Files

tommyp

tommyp

MSFN Addict

• Developers
  • 1,678 posts
@dziubek - Thanks for posting the results. I'll have to update the script a bit for XP's directX update.

dziubek

dziubek

Friend of HFSLIP

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 229 posts

@dziubek - Thanks for posting the results. I'll have to update the script a bit for XP's directX update.

When you will plane publish new version ? :rolleyes:

dziubek

tommyp

tommyp

MSFN Addict

• Developers
  • 1,678 posts
I don't quite understand what HFNETCHK is saying. It's saying that quartz.dll is behind a revision, but the revision that it wants is the one that is part of your installation. Does regular windows update tell you that Q904706 is missing?

dziubek

dziubek

Friend of HFSLIP

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 229 posts

I don't quite understand what HFNETCHK is saying. It's saying that quartz.dll is behind a revision, but the revision that it wants is the one that is part of your installation. Does regular windows update tell you that Q904706 is missing?

1.When I first opened WU i must install ActiveX (1.jpg) and next KB898461, then Windows Update tell me any hotfixs isn't missing.
2. When I used "hslip-13 october" this problem didn't perform :(

dziubek

Edited by dziubek, 19 October 2005 - 04:26 PM.

dziubek

dziubek

Friend of HFSLIP

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 229 posts
I used hslip-17 october but still I have problem with activex and KB898461 :(

dziubek

Attached Files

Edited by dziubek, 21 October 2005 - 06:19 PM.

tommyp

tommyp

MSFN Addict

• Developers
  • 1,678 posts
@dziubek - Good news and bad news. HFSLIP works and MSFT doesn't. HFSLIP found another the MSFT error. I think you may want to revisit microsoft and download the new hotfix for MS05-050. There was lots of troubles with this one (LINK). I took a look at the hotfix I had downloaded the other week, and compared it to the one I just re-downloaded. They silently RE-RELEASED THE HOTFIX, the original one had the wrong binaries!!!! HAHAHAHAHA Hats off to Microsoft on that one. They create their own problems. Anyway, the new file from microsoft will fix the issue you have. Delete the incorrect WindowsXP-KB904706-DX9-x86-PLK.exe and download the new one.

saugatak

saugatak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
Imagine that, M$ changing a hotfix w/o telling anyone so that everyone who got the old "defective" hotfix is still stuck with it.

dziubek

dziubek

Friend of HFSLIP

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 229 posts

@dziubek - Good news and bad news. HFSLIP works and MSFT doesn't. HFSLIP found another the MSFT error. I think you may want to revisit microsoft and download the new hotfix for MS05-050. There was lots of troubles with this one (LINK). I took a look at the hotfix I had downloaded the other week, and compared it to the one I just re-downloaded. They silently RE-RELEASED THE HOTFIX, the original one had the wrong binaries!!!! HAHAHAHAHA Hats off to Microsoft on that one. They create their own problems. Anyway, the new file from microsoft will fix the issue you have. Delete the incorrect WindowsXP-KB904706-DX9-x86-PLK.exe and download the new one.

@Tommyp

I delete WindowsXP-KB904706-DX9-x86-PLK.exe and download WindowsXP-KB904706-x86-PLK.exe(1,33MB)
I used hslip-17 october but still I have problem with activex and KB898461

dziubek

Attached Files

tommyp

tommyp

MSFN Addict

• Developers
  • 1,678 posts
@dziubek -
a) 898461: I found something to correct with HFSLIP. I'm testing it now.
B) Activex issue: Can you please check the versions of the
windows\system32\GWFSPIDGen.dll and
windows\system32\LegitCheckControl.dll
and compare them to the revisions of the LegitCheckControl.cab (you need to expand the cab file with winzip or equivalent). If your CAB file versions are older, you need to redownload the latest LegitCheckControl.cab file.
c) Please PM me with your email address if you would like to test my latest version that I'm working on. It has a ton of changes, and maybe the issue with 898461 will be resolved. The new version is a bit different, but is improved to make the sourcess a bit smaller.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN