Host IP?

Drewdatrip

Guest LouCypher

Go to a command prompt. Type:

ipconfig /all

Look for the PPP adapter, underneath it is the IP address, and default gateway. If they aren't both the same, then you'd ping the default gateway. If they are both the same, then do this:

tracert www.yahoo.com

The output will start giving you ping times and host names and/or IP addresses. Ignore the IP that matches yours, it should be at least the first or second one. If you're behind an ICS connection it will be the second IP address, if you're not it will be the first.

The IP address after yours in the tracert will be your default gateway that all traffic is flowing through before it hits the internet. You would ping that address.

It's usually a good idea to ping an address outside your ISP's network so they don't drop you for inactivity. If you want to find the IP for a particular domain then just do:

nslookup www.yahoo.com (where www.yahoo.com = host you want IP for)

You may get multiple IP addresses for a host, which is fine, just pick one to ping.

Guest LouCypher

nahh, tracert works fine. After all, all it is doing is a bunch of PINGs along each hop. Don't need raw sockets to PING.

well it works anyway :)

netstat is probably my most used comman, and all its variables.

ive got into a bit of a habbit, checking for trojans and spyware, whenever i thinks somethings a bit sus' i have a look, **** usefull too :rolleyes: