SFC Options

Crash&Burn

On the Replacing option, it's stated that it wouldn't be useable anymore at all, whereas w/ the Hacking option it can be reenabled by changing a registry setting. With the replacing option, if you kept a copy of the real SFC.exe wouldn't you be able to periodically run it as wished? Probably a dumb question, logic indicates yes, but maybe I am missing something.

not sure what's being asked here. you refer to the "real" SFC.EXE but that's not the file we hack.

there is the collake hack, which allows SFC to be turned on and off (modifies SFC.DLL).

there is the NON-collake hack, which can permanently switch SFC off (also modifies SFC.DLL).

side story, history of shutting SFC off

a russian friend of mine said that the collake hack was kind of useless to him because SFC switches back ON when the OS first boots, so he created a version that disables SFC.DLL for good.

his non-collake hack, documented on my site, has, believe it or not, been picked up all over the world and is now used in several software products that in some cases i am not permitted to name -- yet the guy who wrote the mods to the DLL prefers to go uncredited :whistle: ah well, that's his choice.

there is also a re-written SFCFILES.DLL that empties out the list of protected files. it leaves SFC.DLL untouched, so technically, the system is running checks against an empty list. this method was created for people who don't want to hack files or want to incorporate the source code into their product (the source of my friend's DLL is supplied on my site). this hack was based on the work of Damian Bakowski who made a similar version of this file first (an italian reader directed my attention to damian's site; damian is polish).

(this almost sound like some kind of joke... an american, an italian, a russian, and a pole all join forces to shut off system file protection... :D )

anyway, you can run SFC.EXE with a scannow and non-hacked SFC and SFCFILES to do the file checking thing. i recommend keeping the unhacked SFC.DLL handy in your system32 directory, because i will admit that personally, i HATE it when i install a program and it replaces a bunch of my DLLs. it's not just the legacy apps, either. so, i replace SFC on my system with the original.

apologies in advance if this did not answer your question.

*Chuckle* That's pretty funny, get the whole world together to fight evil ;)

And yeah I think its answered, so basically recommendation to allow HFSlip to shut it down, then replace the SFC.dll after install to keep those bad programs from messing w/ your system.

And thanks :) Your guide is one of the easiest technical manuals I've read thru

fdv

How are you replacein the file after installation? Run Bart CD?

Can it be somehow automated with some M$ tool like run a batch and after reboot the files will be swapt? Is it possible?

i run the BartPE. not sure if there is a better way. because these files get locked, i think using BartPE is probably the best way... (or a simple DOS floppy if you use FAT32).

fdv

Could this tool be a solution?

InUse is a command-line tool that performs on-the-fly replacement of files currently in use by the operating system. You must be a member of the Administrators group to use this tool.

InUse is primarily used to replace locked operating system files. After running the tool, the file specified is not replaced until the system is restarted. During restart, the system moves the file immediately after AUTOCHK is run, but before creating any paging files. This tool is useful for troubleshooting purposes, where you might need to replace an individual file on your computer instead of an entire set of files.

Inuse does not work.

unless there has been a newer version released?

microsoft put the wrong file in it and never fixed their release (imagine that). open the program up with winrar or a similar program and have a look inside the Inuse archive.

What about this. I can probably make HFLSIP do this (if you want it). What I can do is once installation is complete, I can rename the sfcfiles.dll (the one being used) to zsfcfiles.dll. Then I can rename the original dll back to sfcfiles.dll. So once you reboot, you'll have your original sfcfiles.dll. Is this worthwhile to incorporate?

Well, we should ask fdv is is worthwile or not. In general I think it is a good idea because as fdv said it protects system files of beeing replaced by some program installers. But I doubt it is possible to rename THIS file through the batch in working system. Probably. Let's first listen fdv's opinion :whistle:

i don't know if this would work... this DLL is one of the first called on by the system. the file would have to be renamed very early on. also, a leading "z" might be problematic for legacy CD creation fans who want an 8+3 friendly name. perhaps i should include this DLL renamed SFCFILES.OFF in my fileset, then HFSLIP could arrange a renaming? i'll talk with tommyp about this.